Emma Jar at Wallyworld

I got samples of Eco wicks and I tried single wicking with the 16, then tried double wicking with the other sizes between 14 and 4, and nothing worked. All the wicks I tried smoked like crazy and the smaller ones, like the 4's, started drowning within 10 minutes.

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the biggest size low smoke zinc would not smoke in the 20 oz Emma? It would be the right size and if it didn't smoke we'd have it wicked. My 62z would have worked if it hadn't smoked so much. We haven't tried LX's yet...

Edited by HorsescentS

Got it. I put 2 Eco2s back into the cylindar jar & it's working very well.

Ok, I've got a LX30 in both the 20oz Emma & the big apothecary, pretty flames.

Oh, wow, so the LX 30's are not smoking???

I'm so glad the Eco 2's are working in the cylinder jar. Post pics when you get a chance! :cheesy2:

2 1/2 hours & only 1/2 dollar size MP with the LXs. Maybe 2 LX22s tomorrow.

Is the MP more than 1/2" deep like it's tunneling? If not, you might give it awhile longer with the LX 30. I think it was ChrisR who said he used to single wick those tall Libbey Cylinder jars in 4627 with LX 26...or one of the big LX wicks.

I'll try again. Did you see the cylindar with eco2s in it? 3 posts back.

It looks like three Eco 2's would work well in that jar. I never see anyone double wicking 4627 in jars that are more than 3" in diameter, they always triple wick the bigger jars like 4" diameter with three HTP 52's or 62's. I think most customers prefer either a single wick or a triple wick over a double wick.

I'll have to make a new jar to try 3 wicks.

You can put your cylinder jar in a warm oven (170 degrees) and let it melt completely, then turn the oven off and let it harden overnight, then it should be ready to test in a day or two. Or you can pull out your two wicks and heat gun the top until it's all smooth and even again.

Edited by HorsescentS

It's down really far & the wicks fall over but I'll try.

Oh, if it's down that far you might as well make a new one. Sometimes when the wicks are falling over in my testers and I don't want to make a new one, I melt the candle completely in a warm oven, then I use a new wick with a wick assembly and put a pea-size blob of Tacky Wax (it comes in a small round yellow plastic tub from Michael's and Hobby Lobby) on the bottom and then push it down through the melted wax onto the bottom of the jar and it totally sticks down good.

You can also melt one of your other half-full testers and dump it into your half-full cylinder tester so you'll have a full one. lol

I bought eight more 10 oz Emma jars, so now that I know how to wick them (at least with Cajun Mulberry Madness) I'm going to pour more Mulberry candles tonight. If I pour a cylinder tonight too, maybe you and I will be ready to test cylinders on the same day. I also need to pour a Libbey Heart dish (from Dollar Tree). I'm thinking three HTP 83's or 93's for the Heart...

Edited by HorsescentS

Is the MP more than 1/2" deep like it's tunneling? If not, you might give it awhile longer with the LX 30. I think it was ChrisR who said he used to single wick those tall Libbey Cylinder jars in 4627 with LX 26...or one of the big LX wicks.

I'm a she, not a he lol!! I use the cylinder jars, but not 4627. I use parasoy wax and wick with (2) LX10's or (2) LX12's depending on the FO. (2) LX22's seems awful large and you may get a very hot jar. Good luck! :cool2:

I'm a she, not a he lol!! I use the cylinder jars, but not 4627. I use parasoy wax and wick with (2) LX10's or (2) LX12's depending on the FO. (2) LX22's seems awful large and you may get a very hot jar. Good luck! :cool2:

Oh, wow, you're a she?! LOL I'm so sorry! Thanks for sharing that wicking info, it might apply to 4627 too because I've noticed that 4627 often takes the same size wick as parasoy.

So, did you ever single wick 4627 in a tall cylinder jar with LX or am I imagining things? lol I can't remember what thread you were commenting on about the tall cylinder jars.

Hey, CW, maybe this info about CDN wicks could help us single wick our 4" jars in 4627! CD's are essentially the same wick as HTP, but made in Europe and burn a bit hotter, and CDN are just CD wicks with a different coating so I would think they'd work in 4627. I copied this from Candle Cocoon:

"CDN Wicks (All Purpose)

"CDN wicks were invented in Germany for use in steric acid candles. They are the same size as corresponding CD wicks but they are soaked in a different finishing solution that helps to neutralize the acidic properties of natural candles. You may find that a CDN will burn out an inch further then its regular CD counter part. For instance, the CD18 will burn out to about 3" in EL soy container with Vanilla Voodoo but a CDN18 will burn 4" in diameter in the EL soy container!!!!" (Note by me, HorsescentS: Since CD 18 will make a 4" MP in soy, maybe CDN 14 or 16 will be big enough to do the same thing in 4627, and I think those sizes are small enough not to smoke.)

"Due to increased efficiency in burning CDN wicks may burn cleaner in natural waxes." http://flutterdyes.net/viewitem.asp?Id=20

Edited by HorsescentS