Emma Jar at Wallyworld

I'm going to use a huge SS/copper bottomed frying pan that I've had for years. I'll be able to clean it much easier then the non-stick type. A plan!

You mean, you're going to set your frying pan on your stove-top burner and set your pour pot in that?

I'm wondering if anyone double wicks the DT Status jar and I'm going to search for info on that.

UPDATE: I didn't find any info about double wicking the DT Status jar, but I'm assuming two HTP 52's would be the ones to start with.

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, all poured! Now the waiting game. I think I will pick up a hot plate or electric frying pan.

Great! I'm not putting lids on mine till tonight because I want to wait 24 hours and let the wax harden and make sure there's no heat in the wax to cause condensation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25664[/ATTACH]Spicy Apples & Peaches[ATTACH=CONFIG]25663[/ATTACH]True Lavendar [ATTACH=CONFIG]25665[/ATTACH]Sugar Cookie Royale

Found out the floor shakes right where I poured, the jars have a lovely up & down slosh at the top because of it. I'll just call it the boating effect!

Wow! Those are gorgeous! What beautiful colors you made! I can't wait to see them burning. My big Emma Jar has a slosh mark too, from where I moved it into my turned-off oven to cool before the top was set. Also, I should have filled my Emmas 1/8" to 1/4" fuller because I poured hot and had some shrinkage. Your Emma's definitely look prettier poured to the top of the arch, and I hope it won't cause wicking problems for you because I would love to be able to fill mine up to the tops of the arches like yours. I have to wait for a family member to come home so they can upload pics of mine too, and my Emmas definitely look under-filled. lol

Do you think it would be a bad idea to try triple wicking the 20 oz Emma? The reason I ask is because from what I've read and seen, the 3" jars with 4627 are usually double wicked and the 4" jars with 4627 are usually triple wicked...but straight sided, no shoulder, and not as tall.

Did you use only 1 oz p.p. like I did? I got candle nose while stirring, but I hope mine will be strong enough. I'm used to using a higher FO load and having a much stronger scent in the house after pouring. I'm going out for a bit, maybe when I get back I'll smell more.

Here's a good thread for us to read about how to double wick 4627 in a 4" diameter apothecary jar, and it might help us with the 4" dia. 20 oz Emma Jar. That guy, topofmurrayhill, who is extremely knowledgeable, recommended trying two HTP 52's, which is the same thing Peak's tech support told me on Live Chat. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?86234-What-size-HTPs-for-double-wicking-apothecary-jars-using-4627

Edited by HorsescentS

I used 6% on all 3 FOs. I hope that's strong enough! Thank-you!

We'll see if filling it up will work. I'm not eager to start testing & failing again & again. Did you find out where we can buy these if this works?

I think 2 wicks should do it. The little squatty jar in Spicy Apples & Peaches is one of the jars that can be 3 wicked. I wonder if it's because they have such thin glass?

I've read and re-read all six pages of this thread several times and I honestly have to admit, I now have a headache!

You are two of my "bestest" (I'm a MORON!) new board buddies, but I have to say you are talking way over my head.

I have the jitters just imagining what you all are going through.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask if it's OK to stick my nose into your experiment.

1.) What sort of lid or cover is available for the status jar? I can't sell jar candles without lids.

2.) Do you expect that the smaller collar (top) on the Emma jar may become a "soot collector" if not wicked and burned perfectly?

My wife is away for a few days, but I may have her check a few WM's for jars myself if you achieve good results.

I like 4627, but switched to 4630 because it was a cleaner process for us. I find the two waxes to be quite similar. I've often added some 4627, though to my 4630 on days where I don't want to take the time to warm things up in my pouring area. I hate re-pours and I'm not much a fan of heat topping either.

Please post results!

Thanks!

Dave

Do we sound like the 2 chipmunks who are very polite in the cartoons? No you 1st, no please you 1st, no really you 1st. Like that?

I use the flat top like the pic below. Try fillmore container, thats closer to you if they have it. The 12.25oz status is at DollarTree. Yes i expect all heck to happen since I can't wick much correctly. We'll see. I've tested most waxes & not one can beat 4627 for CT & HT.

:LID-0010600-M.jpg

I've read and re-read all six pages of this thread several times and I honestly have to admit, I now have a headache!

You are two of my "bestest" (I'm a MORON!) new board buddies, but I have to say you are talking way over my head.

I have the jitters just imagining what you all are going through.

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask if it's OK to stick my nose into your experiment.

1.) What sort of lid or cover is available for the status jar? I can't sell jar candles without lids.

2.) Do you expect that the smaller collar (top) on the Emma jar may become a "soot collector" if not wicked and burned perfectly?

My wife is away for a few days, but I may have her check a few WM's for jars myself if you achieve good results.

I like 4627, but switched to 4630 because it was a cleaner process for us. I find the two waxes to be quite similar. I've often added some 4627, though to my 4630 on days where I don't want to take the time to warm things up in my pouring area. I hate re-pours and I'm not much a fan of heat topping either.

Please post results!

Thanks!

Dave

Awww...thanks for checking in on us, Dave! We need all the support we can get! Just wait until the fun begins! :P

I've been single wicking 4627 in the regular mouth Ball pint masons with no soot showing on the glass at all, even though they've got quite a shoulder. Only one jar got a lil' bit sooty because I had the ceiling fan turned up too high, but when I keep the fan on low, no soot.

I used the HTP 93 wick in those jars, and I used too much FO, I think, which was 1.2 oz FO to 14.8 oz wax. So, even with all that extra FO I didn't get soot on the dozen jars I've tested so far. I'm hopeful that using only 1 oz p.p. will ensure that we won't have soot if we don't use a too-big smokey wick.

Please feel free to offer us any advice you can think of while we're going through this...er...adventure.

Do we sound like the 2 chipmunks who are very polite in the cartoons? No you 1st, no please you 1st, no really you 1st. Like that?

I use the flat top like the pic below. Try fillmore container, thats closer to you if they have it. The 12.25oz status is at DollarTree. Yes i expect all heck to happen since I can't wick much correctly. We'll see. I've tested most waxes & not one can beat 4627 for CT & HT.

I didn't know the Fillmore flat lids fit the Dollar Tree Status jars, do you have a link to those on the Fillmore website so we don't get the wrong one?

Did you mean where can we buy the Emma jars if this works? So far, I've only found one supplier that carries them, and that's Peak and they only have the 20 oz. We would have to order them by the case from Wallyworld and pick them up at Customer Service. I didn't see them on Hobby Lobby's website, but maybe if I went to the store I would find them on the shelf, and that would be awesome cuz they'd be on sale for 50% off twice a month.

Edited by HorsescentS

(LOL)

"Chip & Dale" (LOL - Again!)

You "guy's" were two of the first members of the board to recognize me and have been very kind to me.

(Normally I would say women or ladies, but that's too formal for me. Girls or gals is by most standards now to be considered "politically incorrect" for a man to say when referring to a member of the "fairer sex". It keeps me constipated, not knowing what to call my female chandler "associates".)

Anyway;

Yep! I've bought from Filmores!

I think I may even have a few cases of lids (They look like them.) that may fit the DT jars I've noticed in the store in our neighborhood. I also have a Dollar Tree Direct (sales tax-exempt) account.

The DT jars are a bit thin walled, but I love the straight side and find them to be quite attractive and upscale. The base is nice, too!

I have really had problems in the past with "hang" when trying to wick odd shaped containers.

The only odd shaped jars I now use are the smallest hex jars. I use the 1 1/2 ounce jars as samplers. I've never had anyone mentioning problems with them and although they are a pain to pour they burn pretty well. I suspect that most of them get used up on the first burn.

Thanks for replying.

Are you Chip or Dale! (lol)

Stupid

Awww...thanks for checking in on us, Dave! We need all the support we can get! Just wait until the fun begins! :P

I've been single wicking 4627 in the regular mouth Ball pint masons with no soot showing on the glass at all, even though they've got quite a shoulder. Only one jar got a lil' bit sooty because I had the ceiling fan turned up too high, but when I keep the fan on low, no soot.

I used the HTP 93 wick in those jars, and I used too much FO, I think, which was 1.2 oz FO to 14.8 oz wax. So, even with all that extra FO I didn't get soot on the dozen jars I've tested so far. I'm hopeful that using only 1 oz p.p. will ensure that we won't have soot if we don't use a too-big smokey wick.

Please feel free to offer us any advice you can think of while we're going through this...er...adventure.

As I mentioned earlier, "Youse' guy's" (A MAFIA MORON!) way's over my noggin'."

Just questions ladies! Just questions!

I'm interested in your results.

Remember; I've worked in New Jersey!

Dave the Rat!

Love the color! There must be a reason no one is filling to top of arch. I didn't warm jar & the wetspots are around the whole neck. Ugleeeeee!

The jars with Spicy Apples & Peaches are killing me not to lite! I could smell them all the way up to the 2nd floor while I was sleeping.

Spicy Apples and Peaches sounds YUMMY! It's super hard to wait, but it's definitely worth it!

I pour to a lower level even in straight sided jars to create a heat sink which helps melt the wax better.

Edited by HorsescentS

All of my jars have a dip in the middle this time. I used 9oz in status jars where i usually use 8oz. Apothecary has a huge sink hole.

Mine usually get dips in the middle when I let them cool on my kitchen counter on a sheet of cardboard unless I've got the heat up in the room close to 80 degrees, but this time I got perfectly flat tops for the first time because after I had my oven on at 170 to pre-warm the jars and FO, I turned it off and put the candles in there to cool more slowly. Of course, I can't do that for big batches of candles, so I'm thinking of getting some bubble wrap to put around the sides of my group of jars and then put a styrofoam ice chest upside down over each group, and insulate the bottoms somehow too, probably by putting some foamcore under them.

I read that some people set their jars on a heating pad on medium, then turn the pad off when the tops congeal so they cool more slowly, but I can't find the link. UPDATE: Found it: http://www.candlecauldron.com/Tools.html

Edited by HorsescentS

Ugh, that's alot of work. What about pouring cooler into heated jars?

I do heat my jars, and I did pour 6006 cooler than recommended at 150 which did reduce shrinkage. But, with 4627 I've found it's best to follow the mfg instructions so I add FO between 185 and 195, and pour between 175 and 185.

If you keep your candle room really warm and set the candles on cardboard or something that will stop the tabletop from sucking the heat out of the bottom, that should work.

I don't expect my candles to have perfectly flat tops, like they did when I cooled them in my turn-off oven this time, so I just plan on using a heat gun or sliding them under the broiler whilst watching them like a hawk until the top smooths out.

Edited by HorsescentS

I'm going to try pouring at 150 next time to see if that helps with the dip. I keep the house around 64-66 degrees, can't stand it hot but I'll try the cardboard.

If your house is that cool, pouring at 150 won't help with shrinkage. You could put a space heater in your candle room to keep it warm while you're making and cooling your candles. Those cheapy styrofoam ice chests are at the dollar store in the spring and summer, it's easy to just turn one upside-down over your candles. Some use a cardboard box instead. Some put a heat lamp above their cooling table. 4627 has to be cooled as slowly as possible.

Edited by HorsescentS