Emma Jar at Wallyworld

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get any stronger of a HT from the Eco6 & it's flickering wildly.

No draft, I kinda think it's the FO that's causing the soot. We'll see if the Eco does it too. An hour into the burn no soot.

The 93 was just starting to soot last night, I'll post pics after the burns today.

My 10 oz Emma has a mushroom, but it looks more like three or four prongs of the wick with glowing red embers on the ends, and I wonder if that's because of the way I cut that new wick. Wasn't there a thread where someone said they noticed that if you cut the wick with a clean cut from really sharp trimmers it doesn't mushroom, but if you cut it with a dull tool and make a messy cut it does mushroom?

I really don't care about mushrooms because even Root candles get them and they're extremely popular with upscale customers who say things like "These are the best candles ever!" And there's really nothing I did to cause that mushroom since I'm using the right size and type of wick with a low FO load in the wax it's meant to be in, so there's nothing I can change about it. I rarely get mushrooms in my candles, but as a customer I didn't even know there was anything wrong with mushrooms, I thought all candles did that. lol Oh well, there's no such thing as a perfect candle.

The last inch of wax in the 10 oz Emma jar has a 1/2" deep melt pool, so when I first touched the candle it felt really hot, but I picked it up and carried it to anther room and by the time I walked a few steps I was completely comfortable holding that candle in my hands and it only felt warmish. That's the thing about feeling a candle for heat, it really depends on what temperature your hands are used to. Like if I get in the hot jacuzzi before getting in the pool at the YMCA the pool water feels soooooo cold, but if I don't get in the jacuzzi first the pool water feels like warm bath water. If I try to get into a jacuzzi that's 104 to 108 degrees, at first it feels painfully hot and I can only stick my feet in there, but after a couple of minutes I can get my whole body in there and then it feels great. And if I touch a candle with my cool hands it can feel painfully hot, but if I hold my hands under comfortably hot water first and then touch the candle it only feels comfortably warm. Anyway, I can't wick down to an HTP 93 in that jar because it would be way too small.

Edited by HorsescentS

Yes a messy cut does that for me too.

I think you're ready to go if you have HT & CT & no soot!

As long as I don't get redness & blisters & don't drop the jar because of immediate pain, I think hotness of the jar is normal. i Hope I said that ok, hot is normal but not hot enough to burn.

Ok, the Eco6, no soot & stronger HT then the HTP105.

Yes a messy cut does that for me too.

I think you're ready to go if you have HT & CT & no soot!

As long as I don't get redness & blisters & don't drop the jar because of immediate pain, I think hotness of the jar is normal. i Hope I said that ok, hot is normal but not hot enough to burn.

Ok, the Eco6, no soot & stronger HT then the HTP105.

Ready to go? Oh my goodness! I'm freaking out about the thought of actually selling these things. lol

Yes, you said that exactly right about the hotness, I agree.

Wow! That is very interesting news about the Eco6. I can't wait to hear how it does as it burns all the way down. Do you think the HT is stronger because the 105 made a too-big flame that was burning off your HT? or is the HT of the Eco6 stronger than your HT with the 104 and 93 also?

That mushroom got bigger and it was making the flame smaller so I extinguished the candle and let it harden up so I could remove the mushroom. When I lit it back up, because I had carried it from one room to another and sloshed wax on the wick, it smoked a lot for a minute and a half. I'll extinguish it again in about an hour, wait for it to harden without moving it, and then relight it again to see if it smokes like that...but I'm sure it won't. (fingers crossed)

Update: The 10 oz Emma has been burning for a few minutes and it's already got another mushroom, and it's still smoking a little bit and making soot on the rim of the jar. Drat! I'll have to wait until I extinguish and relight later before I know if this is a chronic problem at the bottom of that jar. It's not like YankMe doesn't soot, though. My big YankMe candle has tons of soot even though I never burn it in a draft. I hate soot! My DT Status isn't having any problems, no soot or mushrooms and the wax level is 1/4" above the halfway mark.

Edited by HorsescentS

I think you're ready with the jars you have correctly wicked! Go, Go HS! If you know they are safe, & no soot, great HT, then as soon as you have ins. & all the other I feel you're ready.

I thought about whether it was the too large wick, but it's stonger then all 3 jars put together! 93, 104 & 105.

CS recommends the Eco with 4627 & WicksUnlimted told me in the very beginning to use Eco 8 in the 3" status.

Yanme soots terribly, flickers & tunneled for me. They are different then the Yanmes from 6 years ago.

I think you're ready with the jars you have correctly wicked! Go, Go HS! If you know they are safe, & no soot, great HT, then as soon as you have ins. & all the other I feel you're ready.

I thought about whether it was the too large wick, but it's stonger then all 3 jars put together! 93, 104 & 105.

CS recommends the Eco with 4627 & WicksUnlimted told me in the very beginning to use Eco 8 in the 3" status.

Yanme soots terribly, flickers & tunneled for me. They are different then the Yanmes from 6 years ago.

That's really interesting about the Eco wicks being recommended with 4627, I didn't know that. Your HT with the Eco sounds amazing! I'm glad you tried it. Are the Ecos self-trimming?

Edited by HorsescentS

I don't know if they are or not. Joannec read that 4candles recommends leaving wick 1cm long on 1st burn which is not quite 1/2" I translate that, at a little over 3/8" If you get a different translation let me know please, math is not my friend. Wx on all is still more then 1/2 full. It looks less but isn't.

post-13614-139458508213_thumb.jpgEco6 any soot is from 105 that i missed wiping off.

pencil.png

post-13614-139458508203_thumb.jpg

post-13614-139458508206_thumb.jpg

post-13614-139458508209_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChandlerWicks

HTPs have never done this sooting thing to me, maybe with 1212 or 126 but not these small ones.

I have an Eco8 in the 93 jar. An Eco6 in the Emma 10oz.

So the mushrooms started way down low in the Jar?

I've never had a sooting problem with the HTP's either, but I've never used the big ones of 1212 and above for anything because they always smoke in 4627.

The Emma jar mushrooms started way down low in the jar, but the DT Status jar mushroom started while the wax was still just above the halfway mark.

I would think your Emma jar would need a wick that's as big as your Status jar. I've got HTP 104 in both my Emma and my Status.

I think the 10oz emma needs an Eco8, Eco 6 is good but kinda small.

I'll work on the 20 with Ecos next.

The mushroom started because you may have trimmed wick roughly?

Maybe, I'm not sure. The 10 oz Emma keeps making mushrooms every time I relight it even though I'm not trimming the wick; I just hold the cooled candle upside down and brush the mushroom off with my fingertips, but when I relight it sure enough it makes another mushroom. I just noticed that my DT Status jar has a faint tinge of soot on it that's not very noticeable but I still don't like it.

Edited by HorsescentS

Well, I don't know what your problem is. I make candles with no soot & no mushrooms & my flames are PERFECTLY STILL & never move & my jars are actually cool to the touch. & I do it with 2% FO with no cure time. :naughty:

Edited by Beth

Well, I don't know what your problem is. I make candles with no soot & no mushrooms & my wicks are PERFECTLY STILL & never move & my jars are actually cool to the touch. & I do it with 2% FO with no cure time. :naughty:

haha! Trouble maker!

I have been following this thread just for education even though I do not make candles. These girls have my head spinning. They lost me somewhere around, "look at this cute little jar!"

haha!

Well, I don't know what your problem is. I make candles with no soot & no mushrooms & my flames are PERFECTLY STILL & never move & my jars are actually cool to the touch. & I do it with 2% FO with no cure time. :naughty:
:bow::laugh2:

You're the candle QUEEN! :thumbsup:

Well, I just re-lit my cooled and hardened 10 oz Emma jar, and this time it's not smoking like a chimney, which proves my theory that if I never move the candle while it's melted it will not smoke the next time I relight it...but if I do move it while it's melted, it will smoke when I relight it. I've done it a couple of times, so there ya go! :grin2:

Edited by HorsescentS

haha! Trouble maker!

I have been following this thread just for education even though I do not make candles. These girls have my head spinning. They lost me somewhere around, "look at this cute little jar!"

haha!

Awww...c'mon and join us, JAJC! The more the merrier! Misery loves company! Pick up a 10 oz Emma jar at Wallyworld and get yer candle on! *drunken posting*

I'm still working on burning my DT Status jar and haven't had any problems. I finished burning my 10 oz Emma jar all the way down with no problems, except that it always got a mushroom every time I re-lit it after extinguishing and letting it cool down. I looked at a high-end Root candle that one of my family members has been burning, and it's halfway burned down and has a thick coating of wax on the glass all the way down, and the mushroom is 1/2" wide by over 1/8" thick. LOL The wick has never been trimmed, I don't think. And there's now some soot on one side of the jar even though it's not in a drafty location. Compared to that, my candles are doing great.

If I was selling candles I think I wouldn't want to trust the DT Status jar because it's not sold by a candle supplier so it's a liability. Instead, I'll order the Prestige jar from Peak or some other 12 oz Status jar from a candle supply with the same 3" diameter and retest those with the HTP 104.

Uh oh, didn't know that about DT status jars. Thanks!

20oz Emma is doing ok with 2 Eco2s. Wicks look weak but ok, I think the problem is the purple dye. The same dye I thought was causing the problems awhile back. Needs to hit the trashcan. TODAY!

HL cylindar- 2 Eco2s very good so far.

post-13614-139458508257_thumb.jpgHL cylindar 2nd 4 hour burn 2 eco2s

post-13614-13945850826_thumb.jpg

post-13614-139458508264_thumb.jpg20oz Emma 1st 4 hour burn, 2 Eco2s

post-13614-139458508268_thumb.jpg

Wow! You're doing great with those Ecos! I'm impressed! I hope they continue working well. How is the HT? or do you have candle nose? I can't smell my candles at all right now.

That's the taller HL Libbey Cylinder jar, right? How many ounces is that? I only bought the short one, which I'm planning to triple wick, so I need to go buy a tall one like yours.

Edited by HorsescentS