Emma Jar at Wallyworld

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 15 minutes the flame on my 126 won't stop flopping around, huffing up and down, and throwing puffs of smoke. I think it's not getting enough oxygen down in the jar. I'm going to try the HTP 1312 in Big Emma.

Update: The 1312 was smoking like a chimney too. I'll let the candle harden up for a few hours then try 1212 followed by 105.

Edited by HorsescentS

I think we're going to have to Dblwick.

We can't double wick Big Emma, I already tried double wicking with 52's, 62's, and 73's, and they were all very hot and formed a FMP quickly but then drowned. Two 83's would be way too hot in that jar, melt the wax very fast and drown.

I still haven't tried triple wicking with 41's, or single wicking with 1212 or 105.

Since zinc wicks burn cooler, it may be possible to double wick Big Emma with two 51z's, but if a customer doesn't trim those two wicks they'd have two huge flames in that jar and I think it would shatter. Maybe single wick with a 62 zinc?

Edited by HorsescentS

Try again tomorrow!

Yep! At least we got the 10 oz Emma jar wicked successfully with the HTP 104, it's working perfect for me. I don't know how it's working for you since you filled your jar up fuller than mine, but it's the right wick for sure. How's your 10 oz Emma jar working?

No 104 is good in the 10oz, not 20oz.

104 in the status is great, just started 4th burn but did have to trim a small bit, it was stretching & smoking.

I'm going to try 7% & 8% FO with the 104 at some time . but have you tried 104 with those amounts?

The Nat'l Candle Assoc. says that when you first light a candle, it's normal for the flame to stretch up, dance around, and smoke a little bit, so maybe if you didn't trim the 104 in your DT Status the flame would have settled down after a few minutes. For how many minutes was the flame stretching and smoking? Did you get a FMP on the 3rd burn or is your wick still inside a narrower tunnel of wax? and if you didn't get a FMP on the 3rd burn, how thick was the hangup when you started your 4th burn?

I'll do more burns on my DT Status today.

When I used a higher FO load of 8% in the DT Status I used the HTP 105 wick, and the higher FO load tied up the HT so it wasn't as good as what I'm getting with 6%, but I was using Peak's FO's which are designed to be used at 1 oz p.p. You could test two DT Status jars at the higher FO load, one with a 104 and one with a 105. I'd love to hear your results on those.

Last night I tried three more wicks in the 20 oz Emma: 1212 - too smokey, 105 - no smoke but it was drowning 1-1/2 hours into the burn, 62 zinc - too smokey but I might try it again this morning. I'm going to try three HTP 41's just for the heck of it. If you have any CD wicks and you can figure out which one of them might fit between the HTP 105 and the HTP 1212, it might work.

In my testing the HTP 126 was much bigger, hotter, and smokier than the 1212 or the 1312, so I don't understand why some believe it fits between the 105 and 1212.

Edited by HorsescentS

The 104 was lit for 8-10 minutes, 1/4 hup left at the end of 3rd burn. Looks really good.

I read on MWs website Sugar Cookie was tested at 5%, & I'm using 6%. I may try the 5% next time along with 7 & 8%.

I don't know why the makers of the wick don't just go ahead & switch the wicks so there isn't so much misunderstanding. Did you ever call WicksUnlimited & ask? I never got an answer.

The 1212 is not working out in the status, when it hardens I'll try a 93 untrimmed.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

The 104 was lit for 8-10 minutes, 1/4 hup left at the end of 3rd burn. Looks really good.

I read on MWs website Sugar Cookie was tested at 5%, & I'm using 6%. I may try the 5% next time along with 7 & 8%.

I don't know why the makers of the wick don't just go ahead & switch the wicks so there isn't so much misunderstanding. Did you ever call WicksUnlimited & ask? I never got an answer.

The 1212 is not working out in the status, when it hardens I'll try a 93 untrimmed.

If you still have 1/4" hangup in your DT Status at the start of the 4th burn I can see why the wick was smoking because it's deeper down in a narrow tunnel. Maybe if you'd poured to within 3/4" or 1/2" of the rim that hangup would be gone by now, or the hangup would be much thinner so the wick wouldn't smoke. I'll be testing my DT Status jar for more burns today so I'll let you know if I get any smoking on the 4th burn session. I'm glad you're testing the 93 in the DT Status too.

Yes, cutting down the % on your Sugar Cookie Royale might help the HT a lot. It's amazing how much better some FO's throw at a lower %. I'm eager to hear your results, I've always wanted to try SCR.

9oz of wax did bring the top up too high. Candle Cocoon's FOs are so concentrated you really have to follow her usage instructions.

I want to try BCSs Sissy's Sugar Cookie.

I want to try BSC's SSC too.

Out of desperation I just now lit three HTP 41's in the 20 oz Emma jar. They're not drowning yet, but their flames are so tiny it doesn't look good in that jar.

Update: The three 41's were drowning to I extinguished the candle. Unless theirs some other type of wick that would be big enough, but not smokey, like maybe a CD or LX, it seems to be impossible to wick 4627 in the 20 oz Emma jar. HTP 1212 was the perfect size, I think, but it made a thin steady stream of smoke...I wonder why...maybe I'll ask Peak tech support.

Edited by HorsescentS

I have the 1212 in the 20oz & the 24oz apothecary. I can see flickering but no smoke. Maybe the FO?

Interesting. I don't think the FO should do that, but it's a thought to keep in mind. Maybe my 20 oz Emma was too melted from the day's testing to get an accurate result with the 1212. I'll let it harden up good and try again. My HTP's are Peak's, where are yours from? It could be the different supplier on the wicks, but when I tried your 1312 it smoked like crazy so that's probably not it.

Anyway, I'm thrilled that your 1212 isn't smoking, and I can't wait to hear your results.

A customer probably wouldn't think about letting candle rest/harden so I don't think that wick will work.

Moonworks, Tennessee Candle Supply

3 hour burn so far on 20oz & 1212 is pulsating/flickering badly. Apothecary also, back to the drawing board.

Got any Eco wicks?

It's normal for the flames to pulsate, dance, and flicker "badly" when they get lower in the jar and are trying to get oxygen, so there's nothing you can do about that. Even the name brand candles do that. If the 1212 isn't smoking, it's okay. I just now put the 1212 back in my 20 oz Emma jar but this time I trimmed it to 1/4" before lighting it, instead of leaving it 1/2" long like I do on the smaller wicks before the first lighting. The 1212 is nice and steady and not smoking now, even though the top of the flame is about an inch below the rim of the jar. It might work!

You're right, the customers wouldn't wait to let their candles harden before relighting. Also, I bet the center core of my 20 oz Emma looks like Swiss cheese after all the wicks I've stuck down in there, so maybe that will affect the burn somewhat until those holes get filled in with melted wax.

Update: Darn it! I just turned the light on and now I can see the 1212 is smoking and starting to make soot on the jar, so it's not going to work.

Edited by HorsescentS

P.S. How many ounces is your apothecary jar? When I was researching wicking 4627 in apothecaries I found several who were double wicking the 16 oz apothecary with HTP 73's and 83's. I don't know if people always mean the exact same kind of jar when they say "16 oz apothecary."

1212 in 20oz didn't work, there's more then 1 left in Hup. Not much HT either. I''l look & see what CD or Eco might work & let you know.

On the bigger wicks I think we do need to trim, they bend over like the smaller/thinner ones.

I put 20oz of wax in the apothecary, it's a Walmart candle jar that I'm reusing. 1212 worked great. It's not smoking so it's staying, thanks!

1212 in 20oz didn't work, there's more then 1 left in Hup. Not much HT either. I''l look & see what CD or Eco might work & let you know.

On the bigger wicks I think we do need to trim, they bend over like the smaller/thinner ones.

I put 20oz of wax in the apothecary, it's a Walmart candle jar that I'm reusing. 1212 worked great. It's not smoking so it's staying, thanks!

That's great news about the big apothecary jar working with 1212 so far! Can you find that exact same jar at any of the suppliers and link it here?

I just got off Live Chat with Peak's tech support about wicking the 20 oz Emma jar, and here's a copy of the relevant portion:

Chelsea S.:

l1j89m.gifOk, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with that jar. Although we haven't tested that particular wax/jar combination it is possible that the way the top of the jar tapers is not conducive to burning well with that particular wax. If you are really intent on using that particular jar, you could try switching to a different wick type and see how that does, and if you are worried about the Zinc Cores I would recommend trying the Cotton Core wicks instead which do not mushroom like the Zinc wicks do.

Chelsea S.:

l1j89m.gifSorry it took me so long I'm just trying to be thorough with my answers. smile.gif

Chelsea S.:

l1j89m.gifI would recommend trying two C-60 or C-65 or you may just want to try a jar that does not taper like that such as our Colonial or Prestige Jars.

Valerie Park:

l1j89m.gifOkay, those are great suggestions. But, have you guys tested 4627 with HTP wicks in the Colonial and/or Prestige jars? And if so, can you tell me what worked and what size jar?

Chelsea S.:

l1j89m.gifWe have tried it with the Prestige Jars and would recommend the HTP-93 or 104. I don't think we have tested it with the Colonial Jars but if you wanted to try them I would recommend the 105 or 126 for those.

Valerie Park:

l1j89m.gifSingle wicking?

Chelsea S.:

l1j89m.gifYes, one wick should be sufficient for both of those jars.

Valerie Park:

l1j89m.gifWhat size Prestige jar?

Chelsea S.:

l1j89m.gifWe currently only have one size which is the 12 oz.

Edited by HorsescentS