Why choose Soy?

Funny thing is that YOU are the only one not getting along with others in a forum that doesnt even pertain to your business. You constantly accuse Soy chandlers of lying to their custmers just because you saw it on a few websites. Your stereotyping everyone here. How can you expect people to get along with you if you continually bash soy chandlers?

This has gone on long enough and the moderators should have stepped in long ago!!

Honestly, how much paraffin business have you lost to soy?

"A few websites"??? Uh...no! It's not just a few websites, the vast majority of the soy candle websites are perpetuating the myths about soy. The honest soy websites are the exception, and are a breath of fresh air!

I've already stated more than once in this thread that there are honest soy chandlers and that I have no problem at all with them turning out a product they're proud to promote truthfully.

The question is, how much business have paraffin chandlers in general lost because of the general hype about soy? That's a rhetorical question, everyone is already aware of the problem.

So, in your opinion, paraffin chandlers should just butt out of the soy forum, and if we see a soy chandler suggest telling customers that buying soy candles doesn't help big petro at all, when that's not the case, we should just refrain from comment? I can see why you'd like that.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said oldglory-

And disagreeing politely is a wonderful thing- that's how we learn and see other ways to look at things and meanness CAN be done without around here so why it started per my politely disagreeing with HS accusing soy chandlers for the reason behind people not liking paraffin AND politely disagreeing with her perception of chefmoms comment to mean she couldn't stand behind a paraffin candle when paraffin was NOT even mentioned is beyond me....

And I will say when I am slapped and my perceptions are being insinuated as a liar OVER and OVER you better believe I WILL slap back

I had no problem when you were politely disagreeing to my reply to chefmom's comment. Your polite rebuttals weren't offensive. Things didn't get heated until you described my comment about soy cultivation being dependent on petroleum products as "going way far-fetched." I found that very offensive.

"A few websites"??? Uh...no! It's not just a few websites, the vast majority of the soy candle websites are perpetuating the myths about soy. The honest soy websites are the exception, and are a breath of fresh air!

I've already stated more than once in this thread that there are honest soy chandlers and that I have no problem at all with them turning out a product they're proud to promote truthfully.

The question is, how much business have paraffin chandlers in general lost because of the general hype about soy? That's a rhetorical question, everyone is already aware of the problem.

So, in your opinion, paraffin chandlers should just butt out of the soy forum, and if we see a soy chandler suggest telling customers that buying soy candles doesn't help big petro at all, when that's not the case, we should just refrain from comment? I can see why you'd like that.

Again my question is how has YOUR business been affected? Rhetorical or not. I have a Scentsy rep on my road, a Yankee Candle store within miles of me and my best friends wife sells Parylite and has parties where both our customers/friends attend and buy from. I dont get mad at them for affecting my sales nor do I bash them. I dont attack them because of what they choose to sell. Its business and its their business not mine. Thats the difference here. In business you research your competitor, not bash their products, it makes you look weak and shows lack of conidence in your own product. If you want to be the Soy Police speak to the individuals you have found that spew what you dont like and approach them personally. Dont put all soy chandlers in the same pool thats all I ask. Theres no reason for you to constantly police forums to basically start arguments. Listen to people just on this thread about how you react. Are they all liars too? I dont think thats the case. There are ways to go about getting your message across rather than being nasty about it. In your own words you stated about a person who clashed with so many others and that people were fed up with it, well the same rule appiles here.

No Its not my opinion that Paraffin chandlers should stay off this forum but It shouldnt be tolerated that a perosn (YOU) should always snipe Soy posts with the same old story and create the same drama. It gets really old fast. I come here to enjoy and learn about the business not hear the same old crap about soy people doing this and soy people doing that. I read ALL posts in these forums regardless what I sell because I want to know about the business from whatever aspect it comes from.

I don't agree either that HS had anything to do with anyone leaving the forum. She's stubborn as a mule, but she's still a sweetie!

It's also wonderful to be able to disagree politely. Meanness is unnecessary.

Being mean gets you nowhere. Like I said, it was just my opinion from what I've seen since I've been a member, which is just a little over a year. I know things were going on long before I joined, so I do apologize to HS for assuming it had a lot, if anything, to do with her. I know that person was a bit stubborn, as well, so I think I just saw a lot of headbutting. :-)

As far as this thread, I am a soy chandler because that's what I started with and that's what my customers want. I like it because of how easy it cleans up, and I LOVE bakery scents, and while I've never made paraffin candles, I have burned them and prefer the way bakery scents smell with soy wax. I make mostly tarts, as that's also what my customers want, which is fine by me because they are a lot easier to make and test, lol. I still make candles in a select few scents when requested, but I've pretty much stopped testing new scents in candles because they just don't move for me. But yeah, my main focus is the clean up factor and that I like the way bakery scents smell with soy. :-)

Eventually I may venture over to a parasoy blend, but for now I am perfectly happy and not at all excited about retesting everything. :-)

:smiley2:

Being mean gets you nowhere. Like I said, it was just my opinion from what I've seen since I've been a member, which is just a little over a year. I know things were going on long before I joined, so I do apologize to HS for assuming it had a lot, if anything, to do with her. I know that person was a bit stubborn, as well, so I think I just saw a lot of headbutting. :-)

As far as this thread, I am a soy chandler because that's what I started with and that's what my customers want. I like it because of how easy it cleans up, and I LOVE bakery scents, and while I've never made paraffin candles, I have burned them and prefer the way bakery scents smell with soy wax. I make mostly tarts, as that's also what my customers want, which is fine by me because they are a lot easier to make and test, lol. I still make candles in a select few scents when requested, but I've pretty much stopped testing new scents in candles because they just don't move for me. But yeah, my main focus is the clean up factor and that I like the way bakery scents smell with soy. :-)

Eventually I may venture over to a parasoy blend, but for now I am perfectly happy and not at all excited about retesting everything. :-)

I have not replied to this thread, mostly because I saw it going a direction I really didn't want to participate in. But, reading through it I see that it did start because of how I phrased my opinion of a sensible response to the question originally asked.

I stated "If you want to stay away from the whole debate you can cleanly state. "I have tested many types of waxes and this wax gives me what I believe to be the candle that I can stand behind. It is my vision of what a scented candle should be. Based on my 'x' years of experience making and testing candles my customers have agreed with me."

Maybe someone would take that as paraffin bashing. I don't. I'm a paraffin girl, but I also use soy in some recipes. For me it's not one or the other, it's the final result and what gets me there. I have a vision of what I want in a candle and my response was in that direction. Based on my tests this is a product that most represents what I want in a candle. That response was to NOT start a "My way is better than your way" discussion and keep it directed in the quality of the product itself, regardless of what it's made from.

I am very well studied on the paraffin/soy debate. I want to make a good candle and that is what I stand behind.

I shy away from the more heated debate topics. I was brutally bashed and then private message and email harassed from another board, so I really don't want to participate in hot topics. I read and read a lot on this board before I joined, and I still read the old threads to research things here and there. That particular person that has been brought up was one of the main reasons I did not post, just read. I just don't see the point in getting so fired up over something that is just a simple difference of opinion. I started posting after I read that they had left.

Cupcakes sound really good. I'm doing homemade angel hair pasta tonight (my fresh egg pasta) with my meat sauce and homemade bread. Brownies with ice cream and hot fudge sauce for dessert. I'm in a chocolate mood!!!! :cool2:

Well, I'm a soy girl now but I dabble in paraffin and started out in paraffin many years ago. I have nothing against paraffin but I like working with soy, my customers ask for soy and I am proud of the candles that I sell. My business is my business. I feel no need to justify the decisions I make with respect to my business to anyone unless they want to come and pay my mortgage, my taxes, my insurance, my supply costs, and put the food on my table. As long as I am the one providing all of those things to myself, I'm the only one that needs to participate in decision making. Anyone can have an opinion about anything, but it is up to each individual to decide how much that person's opinion really matters.

Again my question is how has YOUR business been affected? Rhetorical or not. I have a Scentsy rep on my road, a Yankee Candle store within miles of me and my best friends wife sells Parylite and has parties where both our customers/friends attend and buy from. I dont get mad at them for affecting my sales nor do I bash them. I dont attack them because of what they choose to sell. Its business and its their business not mine. Thats the difference here. In business you research your competitor, not bash their products, it makes you look weak and shows lack of conidence in your own product. If you want to be the Soy Police speak to the individuals you have found that spew what you dont like and approach them personally. Dont put all soy chandlers in the same pool thats all I ask. Theres no reason for you to constantly police forums to basically start arguments. Listen to people just on this thread about how you react. Are they all liars too? I dont think thats the case. There are ways to go about getting your message across rather than being nasty about it. In your own words you stated about a person who clashed with so many others and that people were fed up with it, well the same rule appiles here.

No Its not my opinion that Paraffin chandlers should stay off this forum but It shouldnt be tolerated that a perosn (YOU) should always snipe Soy posts with the same old story and create the same drama. It gets really old fast. I come here to enjoy and learn about the business not hear the same old crap about soy people doing this and soy people doing that. I read ALL posts in these forums regardless what I sell because I want to know about the business from whatever aspect it comes from.

Since you read "ALL posts in these forums," you know I've posted in less than 1% of all soy-related threads on craftserver, and I rarely comment in the Veggie Wax forum, although I have every right to post here whenever I have something to say, just like the soy chandlers who often post on threads about paraffin candles in the General Candlemaking forum.

I am not threatened when soy chandlers chime in on threads about paraffin candles, and you should be able to handle it when paraffin chandlers have something to say about soy.

Bottom Line: Any time I see a soy chandler posting hype about soy that is not true, I am going to comment about it, period!

And any time a newby shows up asking for honest opinions about whether to work with soy vs. paraffin, I'm going to give them my honest opinion so they can make an informed decision after hearing from both paraffin and soy chandlers about their waxes.

And I don't care if you like it, and I don't care if I get flamed by a hundred angry soy chandlers in a thread five thousand nasty comments long, I have a right to speak up about it, and I will.

I can see why you have a problem with me speaking up after reading what you wrote about soy candles on your "Mountain Soy Candle" Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountain-Soy-Candle-Company/183727485009786?sk=info

About

"Hand Poured Soy Candles

"Description

"Hand Poured Soy Candles with natural soy wax and 100 % cotton core wicks!

Soy candles are a great alternative to parrafin wax candles. Soy wax does not get hot like parrafin and burns 50% longer. Soy wax spills are easy to clean just use soap & water. My favorite part is the smell wonderful and you are not breathing in the those toxins from parrafin wax."

So, you really wrote: "TOXINS from parrafin"????? lol Soy wax is "natural"? Really? Where in nature is it found? Thank you!

Also, there are some very long-burning paraffin blends, like my 4627, so I doubt your candles "burns 50% longer" than mine...but if they do, more power to you!

Now, moving on to what you said on your blog:

http://mountainsoycandleco.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=3

"All my candles are 100% guaranteed.

Soy burns 50% longer then parrifin & will have less soot."

We all know that soy wax produces the same amount of soot as paraffin, according to the National Candle Association!

Edited by HorsescentS

And I think everything you've had to say about why you like soy is wonderful, and I have no problem at all with soy chandlers who say truthful things like that to their customers.

My point was already made.

You didn't make any point at all. After I replied to the OP that paraffin chandlers and soy chandlers WILL all get along when soy chandlers stop lying about paraffin, since that's the only bone of contention between us all IN GENERAL, you tried to insult me by calling me "childish," and if it makes you happy to say that, fine.

You didn't make any point at all. After I replied to the OP that paraffin chandlers and soy chandlers WILL all get along when soy chandlers stop lying about paraffin, since that's the only bone of contention between us all IN GENERAL, you tried to insult me by calling me "childish," and if it makes you happy to say that, fine.

Let's squash this.

Instead of the above quote, try "when some chandlers misrepresent their wax as superior to another chandler's wax".

We all hate when we see blatant lies & false "facts" from any chandler. But, such is life.

Now, let's stick a fork in it.

Let's squash this.

Instead of the above quote, try "when some chandlers misrepresent their wax as superior to another chandler's wax".

We all hate when we see blatant lies & false "facts" from any chandler. But, such is life.

Now, let's stick a fork in it.

Okay, I agree that "when some chandlers misrepresent their wax as superior to another chandler's wax" is a good way of wording it.