Credit Card Fraud Alert

annie123

Some one got a hold of 2 of my credit card numbers.

I use Paypal most of the time but I have used these two cards online. One card I had not used in a while and only use to buy candle supplies online, the other was also use to buy candle supplies online a few times.

I am not 100% sure and I can't point the finger at one supplier but I thought it was worth mentioning because there is a possibility this might happen to someone else on this board.

Please check your statements for a $1.00 charge from Hootsuits, both cards had this one dollar charge and appear within the last few days.

My credit card company alerted me after the second major charge at an Apple Store and by checking my other cards I was able to notified the credit card company that I was the victim of credit card fraud as soon as I saw the $1.00 charge.

This may sound like a stupid question, but were the sites in question using a secure network for the transaction? I only ask because I started to fill out an order at a site recently and was just about to submit my info when I realized that they weren't using a secure network URL.

I hope you can get this straightened out. Identity theft can be a real hassle, not to mention expensive.

Wow, thanks for posting so we can all be on the watch for any funky charges showing up. I had someone steal my cc # and tried to purchase airline tix and a couple thousand in shoes. Chase thought it was funky and declined the charges and put a hold on my account until they could contact me to see if they were legit or not. Of course they were not so they closed that account and gave us a new one. It's annoying when people are so damn lazy to work but they will work their a$$es off trying to steal and scam :mad: Just out of curiousity what the heck is a hootsuit??

Wow, thanks for posting so we can all be on the watch for any funky charges showing up. I had someone steal my cc # and tried to purchase airline tix and a couple thousand in shoes. Chase thought it was funky and declined the charges and put a hold on my account until they could contact me to see if they were legit or not. Of course they were not so they closed that account and gave us a new one. It's annoying when people are so damn lazy to work but they will work their a$$es off trying to steal and scam :mad: Just out of curiousity what the heck is a hootsuit??

Might just be something set up to scam funds...hoping it sounds like something new and hot on the internet...:tiptoe:

Not so stupid because I always assumed these sites did since I have been doing business with many of them for many years and never had problems.

I never used Hootsuit and didn't even know what it was until I read in one of the post here.

The only thing I can say is that I have a $1.00 charge from Hootsuit on both my credit cards and them large fraudulent charges.

I guess the scammers tried the $1.00 charge first to see if the cards were good.

This may sound like a stupid question, but were the sites in question using a secure network for the transaction? I only ask because I started to fill out an order at a site recently and was just about to submit my info when I realized that they weren't using a secure network URL.

I hope you can get this straightened out. Identity theft can be a real hassle, not to mention expensive.

Just this past Sunday I got a call from Discover Card's Fraud Division. I also got the $1 Hootsuit charge along with a $709.49 charge from Apple's online store. Of course, they canceled the card, pulled the chg. off my credit card, but it's a big PITA.

It was my Discover Card I had in my paypal acct.

I have since removed it, but probably should remove the other one too!

Seems it's a Paypal issue?

Same here but my Paypal account is fine and I really don't think it is a Paypal issue...did you ever use the card on a candle supply website?

Just this past Sunday I got a call from Discover Card's Fraud Division. I also got the $1 Hootsuit charge along with a $709.49 charge from Apple's online store. Of course, they canceled the card, pulled the chg. off my credit card, but it's a big PITA.

It was my Discover Card I had in my paypal acct.

I have since removed it, but probably should remove the other one too!

Seems it's a Paypal issue?

Same here but my Paypal account is fine and I really don't think it is a Paypal issue...did you ever use the card on a candle supply website?

I don't think its a paypal issue either. This has happened to me twice over the past couple of years but I think my cases were linked to things I bought from clothing stores. I hate when I want to order something and they don't use paypal. I have literally emptied my cart when I found out they only take debit and credit cards. I had read somewhere that employees of companies sell credit card numbers to be people. This is just scary. I would just be very careful about using your credit/debit card in general on websites even if it says they are on a secured network. There are crooks everywhere you turn.

my husbands card went last week but I've never used it for suppliers or paypal... they ended up finding out it was local, as in someone local got the numbers- we suspect someone that works at out favorite pizza joint, after all you call in your entire card number, exp, and the code on the back.. thats all they need...:shocked2: but no way to know just yet.

luckily, visa is AWESOME at catching it and called us after just two transactions, total less than $16, and they will catch them (they said) based on the shipping address and such.. one was local, one was an online purchase. They immediately flagged the account and they were stopped from any other purchases

my husbands card went last week but I've never used it for suppliers or paypal... they ended up finding out it was local, as in someone local got the numbers- we suspect someone that works at out favorite pizza joint, after all you call in your entire card number, exp, and the code on the back.. thats all they need...:shocked2: but no way to know just yet.

luckily, visa is AWESOME at catching it and called us after just two transactions, total less than $16, and they will catch them (they said) based on the shipping address and such.. one was local, one was an online purchase. They immediately flagged the account and they were stopped from any other purchases

UGHH!! There is nothing I hate worse than a thief. My husbands credit card was compromised a few months ago too. Someone was using it in Georgia. He had visited there a month or so prior. The bank said using your credit card at those ATM's at gas stations and 7-eleven type places are not safe because it it easy to get credit card numbers or something. Luckily the bank caught it after a couple of transactions and put a hold on it but they were able to get something from Walmart and Home Depot I believe.

Edited by queensh

We have 2 CC and we are paying them off. Quit using them awhile back.

When I order I use Pay Pal.I am like queensh.I will empty my cart after all the work just because they don't accept Pay Pay. I used to use my CC on sites but haven't for sometime. Want rid of those high interest charges. A rip off.Pay Pal is money up front and no giving out CC numbers.

LynnS

I was just my debit/credit card hacked! $150 in charges on Xbox Live. They had all my info (phone address), so Xbox said it came from someone hacking online when I bought something else. Otherwise they wouldn't have anything but name and numbers. In panic mode right now because that $150 wiped out my account and I have a week left before payday!

Have to wait for the charges to go away. 1-3 days bank says. Yeah...and weekend is coming so eliminate those days. Nice!

Trudi

I just seen this post . . My discover card was hacked too !! :mad: Hootsuite, apple online, air line tickets & netflix . . .Discover fraud called right away and cancelled out the card number but it is the 2nd time in 4 months. My business Discover card was hacked last November. It is horrible to think some people just have anything better to do with their time . . .uh, like get a job !??

Yup, Discover card here too on Sunday! That card is my business acct. only too. Could it be someone we all are doing business with?? Can you imagine if 3 of us on here all got calls how many others they had to call? Seems really strange! They called to tell me someone logged onto my account and just updated my contact info??? That doesn't make sense to me though. Why wouldn't they just change it to theirs and make a transaction? It seems mysterious that several of us got these calls on Sunday.....Seems to me like maybe Discover was hacked into and this is a way to put the blame on our virus protection. They were telling me that my computer was hacked and malware must have been installed and that I will have to have a new cc number now. I found a virus on my computer from SCIEC. It is a big glassware company from China. I get emails from them and we were emailing back and forth, so I clicked on the link in their email. Either that gave it to me or once I was on there website. They deny it of course. Said they havn't had a problem in 20 years. Well the infected file found had their website right on it, and Saturday was my first time on that website and that is when they logged into my Discover acct. There is no other way but for malware to be put onto my computer because I have never done any business with them. I am not totally positive it was them messing with my Discover but it sure seems like a coincidence. I make purchases every day with that card and now I have to wait 10 days before I get my new card. What a PITA. This happened to me twice with Discover in as many years and I am still working on clearing one up with Visa. That one was ruled a faud by Paypal and they took care of it, but then the damn Visa company put the charge back on and made a mistake and won't admit it now! Now I have to iron out the problem with them....it was all fixed with paypal and the cc company messed it all up! HOURS and HOURS on the phone. I am fed up with credit cards! It is tough to run a business with out them because they are fast and easy. I NEVER pay interest. I always pay it off every month. Those interest charges are death to a business. Anyway.....do any of you that got the call from Discover do business or get on Sciec's website? Maybe we can figure out who is doing this if Discover can't!