Marketing Lies

I know what you mean @ScentedPleasurez. That's something I have noticed about the candle industry, lots of misinformation, misleading verbiage and like you said, some out right lies. The more I learn about candle making the easier it is to notice the deceit or someone that just doesn't know what they are talking about. LOL 😃 

There is a fairly big soy wax candle seller that says their candles are 100% soy wax without fillers or other waxes and, wait for it, that their candles don't produce soot. I was curious so I bought two to see for myself. I call BS on their claims, big time. A true soy candle, or even one with lots of soy wax, is somewhat soft and has the rough top after burning. Their candles are hard as rocks, have smooth, shiny tops after burning and have really strong C&H scent throw. After burning them I thought, who are you kidding? I felt like calling them up but I didn't. But most consumers don't know the difference.

• Like 2

@Laura C    everytime i see the false claims i gett so annoyed. In my opinion  its ones like her that give the good ones a bad name. Very true the actual consumer has no way of knowing they are being lied to.

The vegan one doesnt have many sales, but i believe their candles were purchased for the sake of being vegan, so 1 was to many lol

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2018 at 2:58 PM, Laura C said:

I know what you mean @ScentedPleasurez. That's something I have noticed about the candle industry, lots of misinformation, misleading verbiage and like you said, some out right lies. The more I learn about candle making the easier it is to notice the deceit or someone that just doesn't know what they are talking about. LOL 😃 

There is a fairly big soy wax candle seller that says their candles are 100% soy wax without fillers or other waxes and, wait for it, that their candles don't produce soot. I was curious so I bought two to see for myself. I call BS on their claims, big time. A true soy candle, or even one with lots of soy wax, is somewhat soft and has the rough top after burning. Their candles are hard as rocks, have smooth, shiny tops after burning and have really strong C&H scent throw. After burning them I thought, who are you kidding? I felt like calling them up but I didn't. But most consumers don't know the difference.

Here's the other problem with that type of false advertising in regard to soy candles that the unknowing public can get confused about.  A while back, someone who found out I make candles asked me if I had a particular scent and if I did, would like a soy candle made with it.  I had the scent she wanted and she said that the candles she had before were soy, but I think they were probably a blend with smooth, shiny tops, lots of throw.  My candles have nice throw and tops on the dull side like soy candles can be.  Other people who know what a 100% soy candle is like have no issue with that -- but people who think they bought a "soy candle" previously that was really a blend can be disappointed at the change if they were expecting something else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Here's the other problem with that type of false advertising in regard to soy candles that the unknowing public can get confused about.  A while back, someone who found out I make candles asked me if I had a particular scent and if I did, would like a soy candle made with it.  I had the scent she wanted and she said that the candles she had before were soy, but I think they were probably a blend with smooth, shiny tops, lots of throw.  My candles have nice throw and tops on the dull side like soy candles can be.  Other people who know what a 100% soy candle is like have no issue with that -- but people who think they bought a "soy candle" previously that was really a blend can be disappointed at the change if they were expecting something else.

That's exactly right. Good example. And the customer or friend probably thought you had done something wrong when you had not. Then you have to try to explain it to people and they don't exactly understand. LOL

Edited by Laura C

We have some members here that have false info on their sites. Lol

Idk i just tell people to give mine a try and let my candles speak fof themselves. The majority of my regular customers know that if the year have a question to ask me and i will tell them the truth. Its annoying af to see some of the claims. 

• Like 2

I'm trying to use crunchy granola stuff wherever I can because natural/sustainable is great, but so is science.  I'm learning a lot here.  There's a balance to create in informing of what is used, and promoting certain traits.  I'm still unsure of what I want to use.  But I don't want to BS my self or potential customers.  Selling handmade is on such a personal level.

• Like 1

Though, with the paraben thing I saw, I think the seller meant paraffin.  I'm a logophile so I try to usually understand what I'm saying, but I can drop a mean Maloprop once in a while, even with words I understood at one point 🙃.    Accidents happen.  Though, when things are intentionally misleading, ugh.  

The one on ebay was an outright lie and they are doing it intentionally with alot of people going vegan now.

I also came across a soy vendor and i wondered if it was the one @Laura C mentioned above because they claimed no fillers and such lol.

A few craft shows were brutal,especially when they have to many of 1 thing being sold. Some resort to lies so that they will sell. I just made up a little fact sheet,they can claim what they want but you cant argue the facts,though some will try lol

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I also came across a soy vendor and i wondered if it was the one @Laura C mentioned above because they claimed no fillers and such lol.

I just made up a little fact sheet, they can claim what they want but you cant argue the facts,though some will try lol

The fake soy candles I bought were not on eBay but who knows, that company could also have an eBay store too.

A fact sheet is a good idea @ScentedPleasurez, especially a fact sheet with sources. And some things or ingredients, take soy wax for instance, just have their own particular characteristics.

• Thanks 1

I guess it comes down to your target market. Mine does not want to be “educated”. They want a great smelling, clean & safe burning candle to enjoy an feel good about. They like beautifully designed and whimsical scent for products like candles and soap - basically an escape or piece of fantasy. When I stopped seeking out the “all natural” crowd the world opened up quite a bit. Most of those who want “all natural” will just make it themselves, why would they need me? Why fight for such a small piece of the marketing pie? 

While at a recent market as a customer the biggest turn off were people trying to “educate” me about “nasty chemicals”.  Not sure where they got their “education”, but it came off as pretty full of holes and preachy. I usually buy soap, candles, etc from fellow makers to show support, but when someone has to scare me or make me feel bad about my choices in order to buy their stuff it’s a no. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

They want a great smelling, clean & safe burning candle to enjoy an feel good about.

...but when someone has to scare me or make me feel bad about my choices in order to buy their stuff it’s a no. 

I totally agree with that. Most people don't want to know everything about candles or all the stuff we know, LOL. Yes, they want a nice, safe candle. I like presenting some facts and basic information for those that are interested but yes, like you said I don't like scare tactics either or someone telling me what to buy or not buy. :thumbsup:

And I guess what I'm saying too is this, I want to present my product, and my product only, in a positive way and give a good impression and not be talking smack/bs about my competition's candles. I just don't like that type of negative advertising.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

@TallTayl That is wisdom.  I keep worrying about all these variables when few are priority. The most committed to genuinely natural, etc, aren't going to buy anything with fragrance oils. So many things people can nit pick. I've been captive audience to a fair amount of natural/ health preaching, so I know exactly what that feels like. You're right, that's so important to consider when communicating.  Saps all the joy from a little splurge.  At the same time, I appreciate when people aren't BSing me as a customer.  I think the most I would do is have resources of info for genuinely curious people who ask.  One of the reasons I appreciate this forum so much is that there is so much information and perspective that cuts through some of the gimmicks.  Some of the only venues in my area are pretty concerned with "natural" products.  I guess I'm still figuring my target market out, and how that shapes my priorities. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old post  but I ran across this last weekend.  We have a little indoor antique and craft market where 100+ vendors have various booths.  We went looking this past weekend to see what people were selling candles for and how they looked/smelled.  There were several vendors selling candles, soap, and the like but all from national names everyone knows.  We ran across one booth that was entirely candles, soap, melts, etc.  You would swear just looking at it that everything in it was locally produced.  The company that houses the vendors take care of all sales and the vendors are not actually on site so there's no one for you to speak with.  We bought one of the candles just to see how the local competition was doing in the event that we actually move forward with a long term goal of setting up a little business of our own. 

Just this morning I actually started looking at the lid and there in little tiny letters was a website.  I said cool, let's check out their website.  Not a local craftsman at all but a chain that I'd never heard of based in one of the Northern states.

Not really a lie per se but the booth was definitely set up to be a tad misleading.  I won't mention any names but the name of the company was even such that you would think that it was a small local operation.

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx

1 hour ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

I know this is an old post  but I ran across this last weekend.  We have a little indoor antique and craft market where 100+ vendors have various booths.  We went looking this past weekend to see what people were selling candles for and how they looked/smelled.  There were several vendors selling candles, soap, and the like but all from national names everyone knows.  We ran across one booth that was entirely candles, soap, melts, etc.  You would swear just looking at it that everything in it was locally produced.  The company that houses the vendors take care of all sales and the vendors are not actually on site so there's no one for you to speak with.  We bought one of the candles just to see how the local competition was doing in the event that we actually move forward with a long term goal of setting up a little business of our own. 

Just this morning I actually started looking at the lid and there in little tiny letters was a website.  I said cool, let's check out their website.  Not a local craftsman at all but a chain that I'd never heard of based in one of the Northern states.

Not really a lie per se but the booth was definitely set up to be a tad misleading.  I won't mention any names but the name of the company was even such that you would think that it was a small local operation.

A lot of that falls on the folks hosting said event too. If they market that event as crafts made by local artisans then thats what should be there. If they then allow companies from far away to fill empty booth slots, then they should at least make an effort to say otherwise

• Like 3