Help with wax formula Please!

I used to make and sell candles 10+ years ago, and decided to start again for fun and extra cash. I looked at my old formula sheet to give me a starting point, and I am confused by it. LOL 

It shows that I took the amount of wax needed for a container and multiplied by 86%, then added in FO, dye, any additives, etc.  For the life of me I cannot remember why I did that!!  Can someone help an aging brain on this one? Was this to account for the difference in wax between a solid and liquid form??   Or was I just crazy back then?

For instance, this show to make 2 jelly jars I would need  11.70 total volume of wax, which then separated out to 0.71 oz FO and  10.99 oz  wax 

59e6393f9b852_Formula1.JPG.4ecd4c92b727c7ff9138fe523c73d6d1.JPG

Might have been the amount of scented wax that filled the jelly jars. If I remember correctly when I filled JJ's they only took about 6 3/4 fill of scented wax even though they were 8oz jars.  If you further seperate the amt of wax and FO the wax fill would come out closer to 6oz. I am not sure looking at that what your actual fill is with wax/scent combo.

I do my fill charts much simpler. But I have to know first what my total wax/scent fill for each jar size is. Then I calculate the % of FO for the fill of x amount of jars, and that will give me both my wax amount and FO amounts needed to fill those jars.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Might have been the amount of scented wax that filled the jelly jars. If I remember correctly when I filled JJ's they only took about 6 3/4 fill of scented wax even though they were 8oz jars.  If you further seperate the amt of wax and FO the wax fill would come out closer to 6oz. I am not sure looking at that what your actual fill is with wax/scent combo.

That sounds about right.  Right now I'm working with just clamshells and tart molds, and I did the same - weigh out the volume needed for each one.  I was wondering what the heck I did a decade ago!   Thanks so much for the assistance! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

It looks like you are using 14% fragrance oil, 86% wax.

GoldieMN

At quick first glance I thought that too. But looking at it, she is converting the volume of water into the volume of the wax. The result tells how much wax to fill that container. 

Looks like you were taking the weight of the water the container would hold x 86% to determine the weight of wax it would hold. 

Edited to add:  Yeah, what TT said.  She beat me to it.  :)

Edited by bfroberts

Apparently that is exactly what I was doing!  I just did a few pours, and the ones where I did not use the 86% factor, I had about 0.50 oz overage.   Back then I was using a 70/30 parasoy blend. so 14% was probably the exact number to use.   Looks like i will need to use 10% now that I'm using  100% soy. 

Thanks everyone for chiming in! 

Edited by Velma
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mao said:

I have not done this, and have a question. If 16 oz of wax turns to 18oz melted do you figure how much FO on pre melted wax or melted wax.

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I don't describe this correctly.

A pound of wax by weight is about 19 or 20 ounces by volume ... this measurement is used when determining how much wax to melt for your containers. 

The amount of scent used is not based on liquid measure (or volume), but on weight, as is the wax.

I recently read the following on a supplier's website:

"Did you weigh your FO and add it to the correct amount of MELTED wax? If you added 1 ounce of FO to 16 ounces (1 LB) of wax BEFORE it was melted, you have now added 1 ounce of FO to about 19 ounces of melted wax."

always use weights.

The specific gravity (density) of waxes vary wildly. An 8 fluid ounce cup of pure water at sea level will weigh 8oz. The same volume of wax will weigh anywhere from 6 oz to close to 6.5ish closing in on 7 depending on what wax you weigh. 

Weight is weight is weight whether solidified or melted. 

• Like 1