Maple Street and recommendations

Nikki

Thank you. I am giving my opinion as others not promoting anyone or any company .  I love this company and products since i first tried them. I just joined tonight didn't know this existed. Yes a lot of companies has hits and misses. I havent found that to be my case here . Looks like alot of  great info here can't wait to read and post on other topics. :)

• Like 2

I 've had hits and misses with this company just like all the others I have ordered from.  I agree toasted marshmallow smells more like rice crispy treats,  but customers like it in lotion,  bath bombs and it's a good thrower in my parasoy wax. It turned my homemade liquid soap almost black,  so will not be soaping this fo.

I got Great results using kudzu, strawberry cheesecake, cucumber sea salt and fruit loops in parasoy wax. 

For cp soap,  black raspberry vanilla,  cucumber melon,  kudzu are all great sellers and easy to soap. 

Cotton candy,  Aruba coconut, and peach magnolia raspberry were too light in wax 

Patchouli- don't like 

Love Spell- I haven't used in products yet due to weird chemical note

Bite me is a very strong oil and have only used in bath bombs and customers love it. 

Blue raspberry jolly rancher and watermelon jolly rancher: I have only used in bath bombs and they sell out. 

Strawberry and Eucalyptus Spearmint both smell great oob,  but have not used in products yet

Amber Sandalwood: I do like oob,  but have not gotten around to testing in products. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have tried around 20 fragrances from this company and , just like all companies, some I like and some I don't. 

Cucumber and sea salt -  very nice in melts,  crisp oceanic scent. Will try in CP soon. Will reorder this.

Welcome Home - love this.  Very similar to Salt City candle scent. 

Butt naked - good,  very similar to most.

Fruit loops - super strong, sweet. I mix this with fruit slices.  Good ht in parasoy. 

Pink Sugar - just ok. (Peaks, the best, imo.) I Won't reorder.  

Black Raspberry Vanilla - just ok. Missing something. Will not use again.

Love Spell - was a no for me. Hurt my nose. :)

That's all I can remember now. I will post others when I get to shop and see my notes.

Edited by ktaggard
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2016 at 3:57 PM, Candybee said:

I hear you about the dyes. I have only bought liquid dyes from Lonestar years ago and still have them. They came with the droppers as lids and make it a lot easier to dye candles without making a mess. I would also be turned off by liquid dyes without the droppers.

Right now I use the Reddiglo dye chips for my palm candles. They work the best and don't morph the candle scents. I had to quit using liquid dyes in my palm candles because of how many the scent morphed on. Didn't have a problem using liquid in paraffin. But with soy I get more vivid colors with dye chips than with liquid colors.

I had no idea dyes could morph 

a scent until I used a dark brown 

dye with a chestnuts & brown sugar FO - it was not a good smell 

who knew it was the dye lol ? 

Most of my dyes came from Lone Star and been using them for 10 yrs plus.  Also like CS & AH/RE dyes.  I ordered Welcome Home from MS and This Old House from FB but to my nose the Welcome Home smells just like This Old House from TC.

• Like 1

Maple Street and recommendations

I recently got some samples and while most were pleasant, I did especially like their lavender and lavender vanilla. Still like CS's lavender better (it's more fruity or more rounded, or something), but MS's were better than most others.

• 4 months later...

Hello all...I just jumped from soaping to candle making ...well melts anyway, and I bought the sampler set twice...I noticed that certain fragrances were not as strong over time and one in particular leached the color out of my mini - melts. I just got a text from a first time customer and she said that none of the wax she purchased is throwing, hot or cold.

I store my scent shots in poly pro #5 cups, and my loose brittle in poly pro bags so there's no reason that should be happening because I add my fo at the right temps and stir for over three min to make sure it is well incorporated.

I have over 100 scent shots that will get dumped unless I can find a way to save them but moving forward I won't be purchasing from MSC. The owner is very helpful but I'm very disappointed in the quality of his oils...can someone point me in the right direction for a better quality supplier. I work with paraffin BTW...

I've not used this company. There are people who have and had good reviews to my recollection. Some paraffin's can be finicky. Is there another company you even have an interest in trying? Don't toss the shots .. just remelt into another batch and scent it with someone else. 

Well, I have burning after a 3 week cure "Dreamsicle" and I guess I can call this a dud....I swear, lately, I'm really hitting the dead zone.  And too my last couple cases of 464 are not acting normal....I'm having to drop down 2 sizes in wicks lately and these are established accounts I have.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

Sounds like we are in the same boat 

soy is not the Same this year at all 

having to wick down try adding USA or palm stearic to slow the burn and see if it helps your throw - it it working for me on the burn part so far but not so much with the throw.....415 has always thrown fabulous for me but I'm not getting it now with these new cases 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone. I just found and joined yesterday. I am so happy to have found you all. I didn't know forums existed to help new people.I thought nobody would help since it's a secret on what people do I've was told. I am trying to get a wax melt business going. I have been trying for several months. I am finding out that this is a very expensive adventure lol but I am enjoying it. I thought I was having candle nose because Maple streets oils I can't smell and nobody else in my family can either. I mean we can smell them in the bottle but they're very very weak almost like they're watered down. I am very upset because I sold some wax melts like this. And when I went back to see what melts were sold I realize they were all Maple streets oils. So I was embarrassed but I asked some of my customers if they had any melts that they couldn't smell with the hot throw. Sure enough it was the wax melts that were made with Maple streets. The Natures Garden Lone Star, Rustic Escentuals and some others were all good. I didn't ask the customers to try to steer them to see if it was Maple Street I just asked them if they had any issues with any of their melts. I didn't even know the problem at first. They are very nice people and they ship lightning fast. I love their clam shells as they are a good price but I can no longer order there oils anymore. I am pretty sure I lost a few new customers as well because some people won't complain. They just won't buy from you anymore. So now I'm paranoid and I test every flavor of wax melts as I make them to make sure my family can smell them and I have a couple testers too. 

Edited by ShelleyF
Misspelled words

Shelley, not all oils are compatable with all waxes.  That is why "every" thing is tested before hand.  You should have tested every fragrance yourself before you put up for sale to make sure that in fact the scents were good throwers so you would have had a proven product.  This all takes time and can't be rushed.

1.  What wax are you using?

2. What percentage oil?

3.  What length cure time did you give the melts?

4.  What temperature did you add your oil?

5.  Did you add any additives?

There is a section here called wickless that I highly suggest you read into.  So much you can learn from others.  Also read into the other catagores under general candle making and the vegetable/bees wax section.  Even under the catagory "fragrance" you can read up on the different fragrances that people discuss and you will see so much on what oils are great throwers and non throwers from others experiences.  Also this past year there have been so many soy problems/changes.  Maybe you are using one of these waxes?  Get to know your wax and experiment and for just starting out like you say you have within the past few months I think you need to take your time and really get to know your waxes and not rush into adding oil to your wax, pouring into the clamshells and putting out to the public to sell as this is your signature.  But you learn as you go.  Just don't rush into this as I think you have.

You will get there so keep plugging along.

Trappeur

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Shelley, not all oils are compatable with all waxes.  That is why "every" thing is tested before hand.  You should have tested every fragrance yourself before you put up for sale to make sure that in fact the scents were good throwers so you would have had a proven product.  This all takes time and can't be rushed.

1.  What wax are you using?

2. What percentage oil?

3.  What length cure time did you give the melts?

4.  What temperature did you add your oil?

5.  Did you add any additives?

There is a section here called wickless that I highly suggest you read into.  So much you can learn from others.  Also read into the other catagores under general candle making and the vegetable/bees wax section.  Even under the catagory "fragrance" you can read up on the different fragrances that people discuss and you will see so much on what oils are great throwers and non throwers from others experiences.  Also this past year there have been so many soy problems/changes.  Maybe you are using one of these waxes?  Get to know your wax and experiment and for just starting out like you say you have within the past few months I think you need to take your time and really get to know your waxes and not rush into adding oil to your wax, pouring into the clamshells and putting out to the public to sell as this is your signature.  But you learn as you go.  Just don't rush into this as I think you have.

You will get there so keep plugging along.

Trappeur

I was using GW 464 with a little paraffin. 1 1/2 oz. Per pound oil. Melted to 185 degrees with 2 minute stir. All my other melts worked even the same scents by a different company. Now I am using a blend of 464,444, paraffin and coconut and people are telling me my melts are great now. Even my biggest critics, my Mom, Sister and kids. I only have a few customers as I got scared when my melts we're messed up. So I stopped selling and started testing like crazy. Some people think this is easy but I sure don't lol Also I have a ton of fragrances and is that good or bad? I am addicted to the scents already but does it really matter how many choices you have?

I do know this is a fun but very challenging Adventure lol

Oh boy, you can never have enough fragrance oils, lol, lol  That's a given for sure.   It sure is a challenging art that is for sure. I can't make any suggestions as for performance on oils with your using what looks like 4 different waxes, right?  Have you tried starting with 6% oil per pound just to see how well it does?  Seems like 1 1/2oz per pound is a bit too much...I'm sure others will see this post and contribute to it.  Hang in there!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Hi @ShellyF, welcome to the forum!

I personally was not impressed with Maple Street's fragrances. I thought they were very ho-hum, and considering all the great fragrance companies out there, I know I can get better elsewhere.

Please consider what Trappeur said about testing, it is imperative to test every product throughly before you put it into a consumer's hands. You have already discovered one of the many reasons why, so I won't belabor that point.

I do not use 100% soy, but I do like to blend a little bit into my parrafin for the look. I recently experimented with upping my FO percentage to 9% from my usual 7%. I could not tell any difference in the strength of the HT or the duration. More is not always better, sometimes it's just more.

My other suggestion is that you seem to be using all low melt point waxes. I would consider adding a harder wax to your mix to see if that prolongs your HT and evens it out a bit. When I melt tarts from my extra container wax, I get a big burst of fragrance for the first hour or so, then it piddles away. But if you're getting great results with your blend, then carry on! 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Oh boy, you can never have enough fragrance oils, lol, lol  That's a given for sure.   It sure is a challenging art that is for sure. I can't make any suggestions as for performance on oils with your using what looks like 4 different waxes, right?  Have you tried starting with 6% oil per pound just to see how well it does?  Seems like 1 1/2oz per pound is a bit too much...I'm sure others will see this post and contribute to it.  Hang in there!

Trappeur

I use the 4 waxes together and now it's throwing good. I tried 1 oz. Per pound but I like them super strong. I bought from ex candlemakers. I sell then buy, sell, buy it is tiring but I have around 700 oils now. Some are big bottles that are full. Some arent. Today I bought a huge stock for a lady that is tired of the business. She is also an accountant. Her oils are are great. Peaks, Lone Star, Natures Garden, RE, BC and a few other good ones. $150 for 50 pounds of oils. I am very happy. 

2 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Hi @ShellyF, welcome to the forum!

I personally was not impressed with Maple Street's fragrances. I thought they were very ho-hum, and considering all the great fragrance companies out there, I know I can get better elsewhere.

Please consider what Trappeur said about testing, it is imperative to test every product throughly before you put it into a consumer's hands. You have already discovered one of the many reasons why, so I won't belabor that point.

I do not use 100% soy, but I do like to blend a little bit into my parrafin for the look. I recently experimented with upping my FO percentage to 9% from my usual 7%. I could not tell any difference in the strength of the HT or the duration. More is not always better, sometimes it's just more.

My other suggestion is that you seem to be using all low melt point waxes. I would consider adding a harder wax to your mix to see if that prolongs your HT and evens it out a bit. When I melt tarts from my extra container wax, I get a big burst of fragrance for the first hour or so, then it piddles away. But if you're getting great results with your blend, then carry on! 😄

I have been testing this behind the scenes for awhile now. I do have some parraffin in it. My buyers asked for soft wax. Said they hate the hard wax and it takes forever to melt and doesn't last long. They say this blend lasts forever. Great lol a melt lasts for days now. But it does make me happy. I have been very upset with MS. The prices are great but that doesn't matter. 

11 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I use the 4 waxes together and now it's throwing good. I tried 1 oz. Per pound but I like them super strong. I bought from ex candlemakers. I sell then buy, sell, buy it is tiring but I have around 700 oils now. Some are big bottles that are full. Some arent. Today I bought a huge stock for a lady that is tired of the business. She is also an accountant. Her oils are are great. Peaks, Lone Star, Natures Garden, RE, BC and a few other good ones. $150 for 50 pounds of oils. I am very happy. 

Omg!    700 oils? lol, lol   You got a deal from that lady that is for sure!

Trappeur

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I have been testing this behind the scenes for awhile now. I do have some parraffin in it. My buyers asked for soft wax. Said they hate the hard wax and it takes forever to melt and doesn't last long. They say this blend lasts forever. Great lol a melt lasts for days now. But it does make me happy. I have been very upset with MS. The prices are great but that doesn't matter. 

I have only tried a couple of their oils and didn't find anything special to be honest.  But they are a very nice company and very nice to talk to and prices are good too with the shipping.  In all fairness I should try some more oils from them to see if I can find some winners.  As with all companies, they all have their hits and misses.

Trappeur

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Omg!    700 oils? lol, lol   You got a deal from that lady that is for sure!

Trappeur

I pray a lot. I check many times a day for where I might get a deal. I once bought $400 of oils for $30. Some people just don't want their stuff anymore lol but now I have another problem. How long do melts last once made? I want to make a lot to get ready to sell soon. Still testing but things are doing good finally. Not money wise lol but at least I'm not messing up. I had burned wax before. Used too much liquid dye. I'm determined to do this. I have been reading like crazy since finding craftserver. I am so happy. You and the others are so nice and so helpful. I really appreciate it. Now I don't know how to stop buying oils. When it's a great deal I have to get it. 

• 2 years later...

Their scents are alright, but their customer service is Sunshine. I will never order from this company again. They don't let their customers know when they will have delays (easy matter as they are constantly updating their site). When asked about an order, they ignore their customers. When asked about just cancelling an order that was never processed or sent, they try to charge a "restocking fee". Only order from this company if you have a month or more to wait for your products.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I am having decent luck with MS. I was looking for a new supplier for Sage & Citrus Type since my other supplier discontinued it and came across MS. I ordered several samples (5 for 5$)  I got my shipping notification the next day. Got the order a couple of days after that. The samples I poured all did extremely well for me in my wax combos for wax melts. Mind you...I don't expect days upon days upon days of throw from a 1 oz wax melts. LOL 

I did notice though that he advertises his Silver 500 as a soy wax with soy additives. I compared the info on his site with other suppliers listings and I'm almost 100 sure it is in fact the same para soy as JS, RE and TFC carry.