Crazy names of Scents...

leisa2003

The names such as Monkey Farts, Lick Me All Over, Duck Farts, etc... are they more of a turn-off for customers or do most people just giggle and think they are cute?

I just had a lady on my FB page commented that she would never buy such names. What do you all think?

They are attention getting. Then some people will be intrigued enough to buy while others will think it's tacky. Which is the same with any scent, but the attention-getting hopefully causes a few more sales. I personally don't mind "Lick Me All Over" or "Sex On The Beach" for example, but I haven't bought any of the "farts" ones for the name and would probably rename if I was selling.

The names such as Monkey Farts, Lick Me All Over, Duck Farts, etc... are they more of a turn-off for customers or do most people just giggle and think they are cute?

I just had a lady on my FB page commented that she would never buy such names. What do you all think?

Personally, I think THAT lady needs to take a chill pill. Someone that offended by a fragrance oil doesn't get it. Perhaps she's too naive?!

The names are only meant to be intriguing and cute; enough to entice customers to sample or order them. I'm sure there's going to be both pros and cons...but if a customer doesn't want them, they can always buy the non-novelty named scents.

I guess you can always rename them or offer them elsewhere in the shop under a different name?

Edited by rctfavr3

In one of the stores I'm in one of their top sellers in melts is Monkey Farts. We were curious, so we packages some and labeled them "Tropical Smoothie". Monkey Farts still won. So, I think (at least in this case) the name is definately what makes them pick it up, and perhaps buy it. And if it works - I'm not changing it!

In one of the stores I'm in one of their top sellers in melts is Monkey Farts. We were curious, so we packages some and labeled them "Tropical Smoothie". Monkey Farts still won. So, I think (at least in this case) the name is definately what makes them pick it up, and perhaps buy it. And if it works - I'm not changing it!

That's a great idea! We can give the same scent two different names so it will sell to both types of customers and get a bigger market share. That's what auto manufacturers do, they will sell the exact same car both the Toyota Corolla and the Geo Prism, and the Mercury Sable is the Ford Taurus. Those names might be out of date now, but they do that all the time. The customer thinks they're shopping two competing car models, but they end up buying the same car either way, so the mfg makes more sales on that vehicle.

Or, like with rap music, they put out their regular recording and they also put out a clean version so people have a choice.

Edited by HorsescentS

I don't really think anyone needs to take a chill pill. Everyone has their own opinions about things and if they don't want to buy it, they don't have to. I changed the name of Lick Me All Over, Better Than Sex Cake and Purple Hooters, but I mostly sell to people at my church so those names aren't really appropriate in that case. I don't change the name of Monkey Farts though, I love that name and it is a best seller for me!

I also think it was a great idea to have 2 of the same scent and label them differently to see which name sells better.

I don't really think anyone needs to take a chill pill. Everyone has their own opinions about things and if they don't want to buy it, they don't have to. I changed the name of Lick Me All Over, Better Than Sex Cake and Purple Hooters, but I mostly sell to people at my church so those names aren't really appropriate in that case. I don't change the name of Monkey Farts though, I love that name and it is a best seller for me!

I also think it was a great idea to have 2 of the same scent and label them differently to see which name sells better.

I'm concerned about selling to church people also, and it's good to know they're not offended by "farts." lol

Lol. Some of them weren't really even offended by the Lick Me All Over or purple hooters. They thought it was funny. It was mostly because one of my friends' kids was at my house trying to sound out "lick me all over" and then another friends' 12 yr old son came up to me at church and proclaimed very loudly that his favorite scent was Purple Hooters! Lol.

Monkey Farts is one of my best sellers, at first I wanted to changed the name but my husband said not to, he said it will be a conversation piece and its true, I have alot of people from my church as customers also and they love the name Monkey Farts(especially the lil boys). But I did change "Butt Naked to Grown & Sexy...I just could not take that to church...and this is my Pastor and his Wife favorite scent lol

When we introduced Monkey Farts (soap) to our line, I was concerned people would be offended. So when we took the soap to shows/festivals/markets, people saw the soap label and we asked if they were offended and if they thought we should change the label. Everyone laughed and said "keep the name...it's hysterical". One woman who was probably 210 years old was offended. But we also realize some may be offended and just not say anything. Since my husband does all the graphics for us, I asked him to do two sets of labels...Monkey Farts and Funky Monkey. So yesterday, we took them both to the Farmers Market and not one bar of Funky Monkey sold...but the Monkey Farts did. We will continue to carry both and see what happens.

I'm one of those people who wouldn't buy them...lol! Why? I guess the name turns me off them. Not that I don't appreciate raunchy humor...I do; but to me fragrance names like this are tacky and unprofessional. JMO I am glad that the rest of you can sell them.

I have Cannabis Rose scent I carry and at my show last month, my friend giggled out loud and then brought her hubby back and giggled some more. Cracked me up that she acted like a 15 year old over it. :) I only tried it because I have a preference for herbal type scents and saw it as a perfume.

Edited by NaturallyTru

If you don't mind me asking, what did you change the "lick me all over" too? I have some FO from back when I was making tarts for my sil's shop, but wont put it on my scent list because I just think its a little inappropriate.

I'm one of those people who wouldn't buy them...lol! Why? I guess the name turns me off them. Not that I don't appreciate raunchy humor...I do; but to me fragrance names like this are tacky and unprofessional. JMO I am glad that the rest of you can sell them.

I'm with you on this. I hate the scent name "Monkey Farts." Can you imagine the real thing! My customers just wouldn't go for the tacky names. jmho Carole

Lol. Some of them weren't really even offended by the Lick Me All Over or purple hooters. They thought it was funny. It was mostly because one of my friends' kids was at my house trying to sound out "lick me all over" and then another friends' 12 yr old son came up to me at church and proclaimed very loudly that his favorite scent was Purple Hooters! Lol.

They must be Baptists. LOL jk

Is there something wrong with Baptists?!

LOL Just a little Christian "inside humor" ya'll, please don't take it seriously! I'm joking about the stereotype that Baptists, who believe in Eternal Security, might whoop it up more, whilst most Pentecostals, who believe they must maintain their salvation through holy living, might be more puritanical, at least superficially. I'm not slamming either side, I'm a product of both, love them both, if anything I'm "Bapticostal" - Eternal Security, plus Baptism in the Holy Ghost, like Joseph Prince and Andrew Womack, but don't agree 100% with anybody...see ya in Heaven, just keep your smutty candle names away from my virgin ears! :laugh2::laugh2: