Sales tax

Mannie

When I do craft shows I include it in the price. It is just easier that way than dealing with all those nickels, dimes and pennies!!

But the website does sales tax separately and if I ever get my own shop it would have to be separate.

I am in NY, and you are not allowed to include tax in the sale price. I do have a listing with me at all times that lists from the total cost, what is tax and what is product. I round down on my product price so tax is exact for the product. Lucky us, different counties here charge different sales tax!

:yay:

I also wonder this. My next show states that 7% sales tax is the crafter's responsibility to collect and remitt to the state. Do you think that this is a turn-off to buyers? I mean, I can't help it of its required, right?

Also do I need to post my tax document in a frame so that in case an official from the show stops by they can see I'm collecting tax?

I have signs up all over that the sales tax is included in the total price. Have never been questioned about it. I guess I could put the price of the candle and the sales tax for the total just to make it legit.

I have signs up all over that the sales tax is included in the total price. Have never been questioned about it. I guess I could put the price of the candle and the sales tax for the total just to make it legit.

Same here. In theory, to remain legit the actual price of the product should be stated with the amount of the tax collected. In a decade of selling in public venues in several states I have not yet had any official person question the fact that I don't do that. I price accordingly so I don't lose money in different counties/states with different rates. A few pennies one way or another doesn't phase me in the least.

Customers really appreciate that the tax is included and the numbers run even. Makes it easier to peel off a $20 for a quick purchase than to count out change.

Ugh! Math was never my thing! I was just playing around with the figures and how in the world do you figure this out?!

I sell my 10 ouncers for $12.00 at shows and I always say that price include sales tax (5.5%). So if I multiply $12 by 5.5% that is .66 tax. So if I subtract .66 from $12 I get 11.34 but that is not right because tax on 11.34 is not .66. Yikes!

This is as bad as figuring dimes, nickels and pennies!

Does anybody have a formula I can use to figure this out?

You would divide 12 by 1.055 and get 11.37 Multiply 11.37 by 5.5% or .055 your tax and get .63 11.37+.63=12.00

Mine is 6% so I would divide by 1.06.

Hope this helps you.

Tammy

OMG!!!! Thank you so much! That helps a ton! You should have seen me going crazy here trying to figure that out.

You are welcome. I love your website. How do you make your air fresheners, if you don't mind sharing.

Tammy

Thank you for the thumbs up on my site. I actually have to take pictures of my new candle jars and get them on there.

I make the air fresheners with the aroma beads from BCN. Here is the link to the instructions: http://www.candlesupply.com/how2aromaornies.html

When I do craft shows I include it in the price. It is just easier that way than dealing with all those nickels, dimes and pennies!!

But the website does sales tax separately and if I ever get my own shop it would have to be separate.

I do the same! There are one or two shows I do that require the sales tax paid at the end of the show. For all others I keep it in the price. Just way easier to do!

So the first show I'm doing says its up to each artist to collect tax and turn it into the state. Ok I got that part. It's 7% so about .98 cents. Would I add that onto the price of my candles or take that out of the price of my candle?

From a sales point of view, don't people expect to pay tax at a craft show that has been around for 30 yrs and is quite large? I mean we pay tax everywhere else.

Edited by jackbenimble

tam1116 - if you use the Non Stick Reynolds wrap to lay them on instead of directly on the cookie sheet then you avoid any 'sticking' issues - they come right up no worries!

omg thank you! I was just about to throw out my cookie sheet cuz it it sticking so much :)

So the first show I'm doing says its up to each artist to collect tax and turn it into the state. Ok I got that part. It's 7% so about .98 cents. Would I add that onto the price of my candles or take that out of the price of my candle?

From a sales point of view, don't people expect to pay tax at a craft show that has been around for 30 yrs and is quite large? I mean we pay tax everywhere else.

Well, I guess if I am understanding you right you add it on to the price of the candle. That is if you are willing to mess with the pennies.

People do expect to pay tax but I just think it is easier to not have to mess with all that change at a show. Especially if it is getting busy.

Well, I guess if I am understanding you right you add it on to the price of the candle. That is if you are willing to mess with the pennies.

People do expect to pay tax but I just think it is easier to not have to mess with all that change at a show. Especially if it is getting busy.

I understand what your saying and that is a hassle but I'll be taking alot of credit cards as well through my square app and it will calculate the sales tax for me.

**i have shows that don't require that I collect sales tax as well and I'm wondering if that is a deterant for buyers that those smaller shows where most of the vendors are smaller?

Edited by jackbenimble

I understand what your saying and that is a hassle but I'll be taking alot of credit cards as well through my square app and it will calculate the sales tax for me.

**i have shows that don't require that I collect sales tax as well and I'm wondering if that is a deterant for buyers that those smaller shows where most of the vendors are smaller?

IME more people pay with cash than cc (I have square also). Only about 8% of my sales are through square. Thank goodness for that since I have to pay the transaction fees for the convenience of offering credit/debit.

Just because a 'show' doesn't 'require' sales tax collection does not exempt you from it. Not one single event I've ever been at specifically requires the collection of sales tax, operating instead with the understanding that the merchant is a business person who understands the laws under which they operate. The state you are selling in usually does require collection and payment of sales and use taxes regardless of what the particular show specifies. It is up to you as the merchant to understand and follow your tax law.

When things get busy and lines are formed preventing additional shoppers, the quicker the transaction the better IMO. It moves more product. I use a register which will calculate tax just fine. Keeping track of pennies, nickels and dimes is a total PITA. Often I have a second person or two in the crowd who takes the cash transactions and also has a square smart phone. The transactions are entered into the register later. It's nice and profitable to have a customer hand over a $20 and walk off with a candle/soap stack, etc. versus waiting in line to get a few coins back from $21. The lost sales opportunity watching pennies is far greater.

As a wise business person taught me eons ago, "Don't step on dollars to pick up pennies."

Just round to the nearest quarter and keep things simple. You may lose a few cents on one item, but make it up on another. Not every single candle costs exactly the same to produce - even in the same vessel/size. It all averages out in the end.

They may not require it, but you are required to pay the gov't no matter what. If they report you to the state as a vendor, the state will damn well want its money and then send the pennies on to the counties.