Breast Milk Soap???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to work around animals if doctoring them than humas too, except for my kids. I guess it is normal for most people to be grossed out by human fluids, etc. than animals. I rather have a dog sneeze in my food or breath on it than a person! lol I would rather find a dog hair or horse hair in my food than a person's....yuck. I would rather clean up dog mess than people mess as well....if it is not within the family, especially. I guess we are a strange breed.

Not strange at all. In most cases, if an animal is ill, that virus/pathogen/whatever is causing the illness will not jump species via fluids or excrement. When dealing with human fluids, the pathogens and contagions can, and often do transmit since they're within the same species - hence the need for "Biohazard" collection equipment.

Some argue the 'lye monster' will kill anything that could be harmful in that milk. Me? I don't want to find out. I know, very non-scientific, but my gut is rarely too far off the mark. Color me squicked about the idea.

Yep! That's why some people love mountain oyster feeds!! lol

Gotta be a farm kid to know what those are :)

No thanks....that's is a yuck too. I will stick to bacon and steak. lol I still think the breast milk thing is worse for me. I think I would would eat the cow nuts before rubbing myself with soap made with someone's breast milk. The thought of either one is not appealing. This sure started an interesting discussion!

Edited by Holly

Makes you kind of wonder about the first person who looked at a cow and said, "hmm...think I'll pull on those things and drink whatever comes out." LOL

I've often said the same thing about the first person to eat an egg. What was that person thinking?

I've often said the same thing about the first person to eat an egg. What was that person thinking?

When you get right down to it...half the crap we eat is gross LOL. I love eggs...and love my milk, drink a glass of WHOLE milk every night with my dinner, but what nut did decide to start eating half this crap? Take crabs...who's hair brained idea was that to eat that ugly thing? But boy they sure are good! (even though they are bottom feeders who have likely chomped on a body or six, this is jersey after all LMAO)

I'm not offended by the breast milk thing. I actually don't find it that icky. Some of us drank it at one point...now that's ickier than washing with it LOL ;) ;)

Edited by debratant

ewwwhhhh- I am sorry but breast milk has its place..... soap is not one of them! at least not for me! LOL

Thats like putting on underwear to wear for the day that someone else already wore the day before- gross me out the door

Your own breast milk in soap for yourself and child... maybe- but not for me! LOL

:undecided Would make a good gag gift, though. Guaranteed the recipients would never forget it...may never touch it either.

sounds pretty insulting to the nursing mother who expressed that milk.

as a hand made, very personal gift to a new mother and her baby - I think it's a beautiful thing.

absolutely personal and precious.

I've been asked to make soap like this before. I declined but not for gross-out reasons. Being of the can't have kids variety, I just didn't know enough about breastmilk to know how long it'd be usable for or anything like that.

I don't really claim to understand why so many people are put-off by this idea though, seems fine to me.

I thought about this subject after having posted here already... For me, I think breast milk is sacred. I donated it years ago to help babies in need. I simply cannot imagine soaping it. I think some things are precious and sacred. Breast milk is one of those things. JMO...

Edited by Noodle

seriously? you think breastmilk is dirty?

If someone handed me a bar of soap made with some one else's breast milk....yes - to me that is dirty gross

Bodily fluids of someone else is not for me

Breast milk for my own child or another child in need to use as food - no

Call me crazy but any fluid be it breast milk, boogers, saliva, etc. from a stranger creeps me out

This just seems so far fetched to me.

If folks are that creeped out about 'fluids' from other people, never eat another birthday cake that has candles someone blew out. In blowing out the candles, small amounts of saliva are excreted through the mouth, infinitely moreso if it's a child blowing out the candles as they're usually much more excited and blow harder. As a matter of fact, you likely shouldn't eat any food that someone else has prepared. For those of us who cook a fair amount, if you ever grabbed a fork or spoon to taste something over the pot, pan, casserole, etc... and blew on it prior to tasting it, you just basically spit all over the food you're preparing.

This just seems so far fetched to me.

If folks are that creeped out about 'fluids' from other people, never eat another birthday cake that has candles someone blew out. In blowing out the candles, small amounts of saliva are excreted through the mouth, infinitely moreso if it's a child blowing out the candles as they're usually much more excited and blow harder. As a matter of fact, you likely shouldn't eat any food that someone else has prepared. For those of us who cook a fair amount, if you ever grabbed a fork or spoon to taste something over the pot, pan, casserole, etc... and blew on it prior to tasting it, you just basically spit all over the food you're preparing.

See how crazy I am- that stuff doesn't bother me....unless a big old wad came out with that blow of the candles! LOL

It's just breast milk soap to me sounds way to personal for me- and watch it will end up being the cure of all cures!

Goats milk soap doesn't bother me as much either- I don't go out of my way to use it- only have tried samples. Crazy crazy I know but that is just not something I would want to try let alone make

" Would make a good gag gift, though. Guaranteed the recipients would never forget it...may never touch it either."

sounds pretty insulting to the nursing mother who expressed that milk.

as a hand made, very personal gift to a new mother and her baby - I think it's a beautiful thing.

absolutely personal and precious.

Oh brother. Just my opinion. Someone wants to make soap with breastmilk more power to them. Majority of folks out there would be grossed out by it.

Edited by marcuset

I won't say that breast milk soap is gross. I mean, we've adapted to cows milk and goats milk as a drink and for all kinds of purposes. But what bothers me about breast milk soap is that breast milk, with all its health benefits, is in limited quantity and women are choosing to saponify it instead of donating it to a baby that can benefit from it.

Unless it can be proven that breast milk soap cures things like skin cancer, then I believe it is a terrible waste of breast milk.

Aside from the fact that breast milk is LIQUID GOLD and this is a total waste of it IMO, I hate that they totally burn the milk and that hope that people don't look at this video and think these people are experts or something. Overall their methods were fine, accept for burning the milk, but little things bugged me - like how long they let it sit before they cut and how they didn't understand gel.

Really, I think breast milk soap would be just as good as any other milk soap.

If someone handed me a bar of soap made with some one else's breast milk....yes - to me that is dirty gross

Bodily fluids of someone else is not for me

Breast milk for my own child or another child in need to use as food - no

Call me crazy but any fluid be it breast milk, boogers, saliva, etc. from a stranger creeps me out

But you don't have a problem with the bodily fluids of a cow or a goat? Weird....

But you don't have a problem with the bodily fluids of a cow or a goat? Weird....

Why is it weird? We use cow manure to fertilize our gardens. Why not have everyone deficate in their gardens then if it is not weird? You may find beast milk soap just fine, but it is not weird that others do not agree with you.

The whole debate over whether or not this is "sick" or "dirty" and such is laughable. Not only because people get so defensive, but because when it comes to cold process soap milk is milk is milk as far as animal or human milks go. You will probably see a difference in fat content, but what "germs" or what not will survive saponification?

ETA - reminds me of those who feel strongly that milk MUST be pasturized before soaping! :laugh2:

Edited by kidsngarden
I always have more to say, lol!

Why is it weird? We use cow manure to fertilize our gardens. Why not have everyone deficate in their gardens then if it is not weird? You may find beast milk soap just fine, but it is not weird that others do not agree with you.

I never stated my personal feelings on the subject, so you have no idea whether or not I agree with you. I just find the bodily fluid argument weird. All mammalian milk is a bodily fluid.

And human waste is used as fertilizer.

It is laughable- and probably needs to be moved to political, everyone has their thoughts on it and what is acceptable and what is not

BTW-I don't see cows or goats squirting their pasture mates with their milk and rubbing it all over! LOL( that was a joke and not a smart ass comment)