Unhappy Customer--What Should I Have Done (or Do Now?) (Sorry this is long!!!)

Alajane

I’m just sick about this and don’t know if I responded correctly or not!! On my Facebook page yesterday, I noticed a heading I’d never seen before, “Hidden Messages.” I clicked on it and found this message that was posted on December 11. I can’t figure out why it hadn’t shown up before now—I have my page set up so that I receive an e-mail whenever I get a message or response to a post on FB and this is the first time I had seen this message.

I’ve had fantastic response to my products in the past—all the comments I’ve received have been about how strong the scents are, so this one floored me. What should I have said in response to her? I’m showing you the entire response string—hope I didn’t mess up too badly!

By the way, the “Info” section of my Facebook page has both my phone number and my e-mail address. If she didn’t get a response by Facebook and was so unhappy, why in the world wouldn’t she have contacted me by either of those methods.

Her—I purchased 2 melters & 8 packs of melts from you at the last Flea Market. One for myself & one for a gift. I have used mine twice for a couple of hours each time & the bulb has already burned out. Have no idea how to get it out & where to get another one. The melts I bought have very little scent to them. Very disappointed, especially since one is a Christmas gift.

Me—(Her Name), I just found the post on my wall about your problems with the melters and wax melts you purchased from me. I have replacement bulbs for most of the warmers I sold and will be happy to give you a replacement. I'm so sorry you found the melts to not be strong. I will be happy to replace those also. You may no longer have them since you posted your message in December and I've just found it. Can you reply to me in a"message" so I'll be sure to see it to let me know how I can get the replacements to you?

Her—I assumed you didn't stand behind your product since I didn't hear from you. I haven't been able to find a bulb except for either a 15 or 35 watt. I threw the wax melts away since they had no scent to them & my bulb blew almost right away. You can mail one to me if you're willing to do that?

Me—(Her Name), I definitely do stand behind myproducts--that's the reason my phone number is on every candle or package of melts I sell. I will be happy to mail you a bulb. Please describe the warmer or bulb (or send me a photo) so I'll know which type you need. The warmers I sell have two different types of bulbs--one is very small and flat; the other has a large, wide top.

Please send me that information, along with your address, by e-mail so I can get your messages much faster. The address is (my e-mail).

After she replies back I would send her a replacement bulb and a couple of your strongest scents you have in melts. I would then ask her to let you know if she is able to smell the replacement melts. When I have a customer having issues, I try to make them feel like they are helping me to improve my business by providing feedback.

HTH,

Kim

I think you have done all you can for the moment. Hopefully she will understand that things like that do happen. I would just "jump through hoops" as much as you have to in order to make things right and hopefully keep a customer. This is what sets us apart from the mass-produced world. It may cost you some money, and there is no guarantee that she will ever reorder. But I think it would make you happy, as well as her, to do all you can (within reason) to make things right (or at least better).

Steve

Thanks so much for your responses. KimB, that's exactly what I was planning to do. I'm thinking blueberry muffins because everybody says that one is super strong. Of course, if she doesn't like bakery scents I'd be out of luck--maybe I should throw in a fresh linen also. It just drove me nuts that there were two other contact methods shown on my FB page that she didn't try. And I can't figure out why that message didn't show up until yesterday! If I was in her position I'd be very annoyed at me also!

I just have to say I'm very happy that message didn't show up on my FB page!!!

Edited by Alajane

Facebook change their policies a couple months ago. They don't send you an email everytime someone comments or you get a message. So you actually have to make sure you check that out everytime you go there. Kinda a pain in the b**t.

But yeah, it would have been nice if she tried to contact you another way. I know I have been using other means to contact people instead of facebook because of their new policies.

I will offer a different opinion. We have benn selling warmers and melts for years. We sell close to a thousand large warmers a year plus at least that in plug-ins. The melt sales are in the thousands, don't have a clue. This is just to let you know that I know what I am talking about. So, of course we have unhappy customers at times. We used to sell replacement bulbs until we noticed that we were having many customers coming back with bad bulb issues. We quit carrying the bulbs, and the number of customers saying they had bad bulbs dropped to almost nothing. Oh, when our warmers come in, an employee checks each one for chips, breakage and functioning bulb and switch. When a warmer is sold, the employee checks it again in front of the customer, and makes sure that the bulb works. We also explain that wax drippage onto the bulb will burn it out. If a customer emails or calls us about a problem, they are told they must bring the warmer in. They are also told that we only replace defective warmers, and only for thirty days from purchase (a receipt must accompany the warmer). Bulbs are not warranteed at all. They leave us working fine. This has reduced our warmer problems to almost none. We replace a warmer maybe once every month or two. Customers who get upset can go to Walmart. We don't want them. We have a growing customer base. Our melts are first class. We have many Scentsy DEALERS who buy and burn our melts but sell Scentsy. We have had customers who say the scents are weak or don't last. But we bounce their complaint against the many compliments we get. We do question them about how they burn them and have not had an issue that was our fault that I am aware of. We have tried scents from new distributorsj and have found no throw with a warmer. I gusss bottom line is that we are not Walmart who takes everything back, no questions asked. If we are a fault, we bend over backwards to make it right. But long experience has been that there are a lot of dishonest people out there.

I'm kind of curious why the customer didn't try to replace the bulb herself. Aren't there replacement bulbs at local stores you can go to or do they have to come to you?

Other than that, I think you did the best you could do under the circumstances. You can sleep better knowing you were honest with and tried to resolve the problem for your customer. If they don't appreciate it then you are better off without them.

David, thanks for your comments--I did get the feeling she might just be a person who would be impossible to please. I think I'll try your policy of testing each warmer in front of the customer--sounds like a good idea!

Candybee, her comment was "Have no idea how to get it out & where to get another one." I had two types of warmers at that show--some from CandleWarmers that use bulbs that I've tried to find locally and can't find, so I've started stocking them. The other styles were from OBI with a tiny bulb that was out of stock when I ordered the warmers (and they're still out of stock). The OBI website said it could be purchased in hardware stores, so DH has been assigned to see if he can find some in our area today so I'll have both types of bulbs in stock. So I can appreciate her difficulty in replacing the bulb.

I loved those warmers from OBI but I had a friend ask where she could get a replacement bulb for hers, and the only one I have left wouldn't burn when I tested it. So I'm thinking I won't buy any more of those. I had high hopes for those since the CandleWarmers bulbs are pretty expensive and can't be purchased locally. The OBI warmers are really pretty but seem a bit fragile. DH said the bulbs are the kind that can't be touched with bare skin because the oils on your skin can cause them to "shoot" (don't know another word for that!)

Edited by Alajane

Why throw the melts away? How could they all be scentless?

When I hear about someone complain about some purchase they made with anyone and hear "I threw it away" after it is suggested the item be returned for testing or whatever reason the seller wants it returned I think someone looking for some free stuff. I mean why throw it away when you are complaining about the product?? If you're contacting the seller complaining I would think the customer would want to return the item(s) so the seller wouldn't just assume they were fishing for freebies and could see for themselves if there was actually something wrong. Too many people out there fishing for freebies, and sorry this sounds like the same story to me. JMHO though.

Alajane, check out Scentsationals. Their warmers are the best we've found at a reasonable price. Customer service is great. Replacement bulbs can be purchased from Home Depot for $3.87 for a pack of four. We have sold OBI and Candlewarmers in the past, but Scentsationals are the best. Price is a little higher than Candlewarmers, but the shipping is less making them about the same. Quality is light years ahead of any others we have found. The warmers resemble Scentsy's.

I will offer a different opinion. We have benn selling warmers and melts for years. We sell close to a thousand large warmers a year plus at least that in plug-ins. The melt sales are in the thousands, don't have a clue. This is just to let you know that I know what I am talking about. So, of course we have unhappy customers at times. We used to sell replacement bulbs until we noticed that we were having many customers coming back with bad bulb issues. We quit carrying the bulbs, and the number of customers saying they had bad bulbs dropped to almost nothing. Oh, when our warmers come in, an employee checks each one for chips, breakage and functioning bulb and switch. When a warmer is sold, the employee checks it again in front of the customer, and makes sure that the bulb works. We also explain that wax drippage onto the bulb will burn it out. If a customer emails or calls us about a problem, they are told they must bring the warmer in. They are also told that we only replace defective warmers, and only for thirty days from purchase (a receipt must accompany the warmer). Bulbs are not warranteed at all. They leave us working fine. This has reduced our warmer problems to almost none. We replace a warmer maybe once every month or two. Customers who get upset can go to Walmart. We don't want them. We have a growing customer base. Our melts are first class. We have many Scentsy DEALERS who buy and burn our melts but sell Scentsy. We have had customers who say the scents are weak or don't last. But we bounce their complaint against the many compliments we get. We do question them about how they burn them and have not had an issue that was our fault that I am aware of. We have tried scents from new distributorsj and have found no throw with a warmer. I gusss bottom line is that we are not Walmart who takes everything back, no questions asked. If we are a fault, we bend over backwards to make it right. But long experience has been that there are a lot of dishonest people out there.

AMEN!

I'm sorry but I've had a similar experience about a year ago.... I don't sell at craft shows or flea markets though so I wrote the letter off as bogus freebie fishing.

I don't bend over backwards for the occasional "I'm not happy" email. It's life and sometimes you're not going to care for this or that. People that overly cater and jump through hoops not only get taken advantage of but eventually go out of business. People seem to think you build a business with exceptional customer service. Yes it's true but if your not making a profit and giving it all away it not customer service anymore, it's charity.

I think you offered too much, If she was legit she would have called or emailed you after a day of no response from FB.

I kind of agree with funkymonkey. People who are used to Facebook know that messages sometimes don't get through and that it can be unreliable as a communication tool. If I would have been the customer, I wouldn't have written you off so quickly and looked for another way to contact you.

I think you offered too much, If she was legit she would have called or emailed you after a day of no response from FB.

I don't think I offered too much--I only offered a replacement bulb. I do plan to give her one pack of melts also, but I didn't tell her that. On the other hand, since she hasn't contacted me again, she may be getting nothing!

And since reading all your posts I don't plan to worry about it any more! Thanks so much for the peace of mind.

Jane

People who are used to Facebook know that messages sometimes don't get through and that it can be unreliable as a communication tool. If I would have been the customer, I wouldn't have written you off so quickly and looked for another way to contact you.

See, this is where my problem arose. I've never used Facebook as my primary means of communication--guess I'm old-fashioned, but since I don't check it constantly, I don't assume that other people do. Therefore, I didn't realize that sometimes messages don't get through! That's good to hear from someone I assume is more experienced with FB than I am. I just got a SmartPhone for Christmas so I could use SquareUp; since then I'm checking FB much more often because it's so convenient. Until then, I tried to make a point of checking a couple of times a week only because I did have a business page and was afraid someone might try to contact me.

Alajane, check out Scentsationals. Their warmers are the best we've found at a reasonable price. Customer service is great. Replacement bulbs can be purchased from Home Depot for $3.87 for a pack of four. We have sold OBI and Candlewarmers in the past, but Scentsationals are the best. Price is a little higher than Candlewarmers, but the shipping is less making them about the same. Quality is light years ahead of any others we have found. The warmers resemble Scentsy's.

David, I was very excited to check them out, but unfortunately found the following on their website (after I had applied for a wholesale account, which I'm sure will be denied):

"Our wholesale buyers cannot sell at flea markets, online or out of theirhome. Wholesale buyers must have a brick and mortar retail store located in theUnited States."

Since I don't have a brick and mortar store, looks like Scentsationals is out of the question for me. I wish they weren't--their products are beautiful. In fact, I bought 10 of them for my December show when my CandleWarmers order didn't arrive until the day after the show. I lucked out that Hobby Lobby had them half price that weekend!

Thanks for the suggestion, though! I'll just be envious of those of you who can purchase them.

I remember a thread about them from awhile back where someone on the board said if you have your items in a shop (like a craft mall) that you can use that address as your brick and mortar store. Don't know if you have that but in case you do give it a try.

I was just coming back to this site to say that someone from Scentsationals called me to confirm whether I had a B&M location. In the course of our conversation I mentioned that I was delivering a wholesale order to a store and she told me I could use the store that carries my products for my location. I checked with the store owner and she was fine with that. Since she has two locations, she registered for an account with them also.

I just got in 7 cases from CandleWarmers, so I won't need to order any more for a while, but I'm considering trying the Scentsationals line. I couldn't find any info on their site about replacement bulbs, so I'm hoping they're readily available.

But Wal- Mart sells the warmers from Scentsationals too.

Yes. I was just at walmart today and that particular store (which is one of the Super Stores) no longer had them. They didn't have the melts either. They also carried the Better Homes & Garden brand of warmers and melts. They were no longer there either. Wonder if all the stores will no longer carry them or if some will and some won't.

Walmart sell's Scentsational brand melters for $15 and they sure are cute!