What to do with FO you don't like?

Jaime811

Hello!

I'm curious to know what everyone does when they get a FO and find they can't stand the smell?

Do you use it anyway despite the urge to gag when you smell it and see if it improves in wax (and does it ever?)

Do you try mixing it with other FO to get something more appealing?

Do you toss it out and figure it was worth losing the $ to never have to smell it again?

Use it and find that although you find it repulsive, other people think it's lovely?

I got some fig FO and personally find it gag worthy. I'm tempted to try and mix it with something, but the thought of even opening the bottle has me cringing. LOL

What would you do?

I stick it in incense, sachet bags, small amount of votives or I sell it. On occasions though it will sit in the darkest part of my shelves till inventory time and then I wonder why I never used it until I open the bottle for the reminder. Could the fragrance you have be mixed with something else to make it better? To help you with that, need to know what the fragrance is that's gagging you lol.

OK, yes, some really gaggy scents do blossom in wax. Vineyard comes to mind. It smelled like vinegar and rotten grapes out of bottle, but boy did it turn out fantastic in wax. It took forever to get it into the wax though.

And I have a few fragrances that gag me, but they move quite well so in that instance, I have to put up with the smell.

Edited by Scented

I got some white tea and ginger from ACS that makes me want to hurl...stinks like cat pee to my nose nothing like the Bramble Berry one we got from the soap supplier....Mum loves it so I made it into melts holding my breath just to get rid of it and gave them to her. I usually only buy a small 25ml bottle to see if I like it before I commit to a bigger one.

BACON!! omg BACON .. This makes me want to give up candlemaking. LOL ok- not really but I get a horrible headache and want to gag but my husband works with a bunch of navy men who think this scent just rocks and I am selling it like crazy. Soooo I must keep making it but I cant cant cant cant cant stand it.

I am the tpe that will pour whatever my customers want even if it makes me sick :( But I am thinking about giving it a month and then saying " Ohhhh, so sorry, they discontinued Bacon FO around the world" HAHAHA

Try mixing it with something else. Most fig FO's are crisp, bitter, and green smelling. Try mixing it with something earthy or something more fruity to tone it down.

Earthy Suggestions: Christmas Tree or Sandalwood

Fruity Suggestions: Cranberry or Strawberry

Or you can go the plain route and mix it with some type of straight vanilla to make Vanilla Fig.

What was that B&BW fig fragrance? That is a nasty fragrance. I personally love Fig Newtons lol, so if you had something cakey or a cookie, you could try it with that. I also loved mediterranean fig from Peak's. Thing is no one else did lol. But you could try some orange in there. Wonder what a fig, orage and apple mix would do? I don't have fig to try it out, but since you do ... :D

BACON!! omg BACON .. This makes me want to give up candlemaking. LOL ok- not really but I get a horrible headache and want to gag but my husband works with a bunch of navy men who think this scent just rocks and I am selling it like crazy. Soooo I must keep making it but I cant cant cant cant cant stand it.

I am the tpe that will pour whatever my customers want even if it makes me sick :( But I am thinking about giving it a month and then saying " Ohhhh, so sorry, they discontinued Bacon FO around the world" HAHAHA

I've never purchased this FO for fear that it would remind me of dog treats!!

Try mixing it with something else. Most fig FO's are crisp, bitter, and green smelling. Try mixing it with something earthy or something more fruity to tone it down.

Earthy Suggestions: Christmas Tree or Sandalwood

Fruity Suggestions: Cranberry or Strawberry

Or you can go the plain route and mix it with some type of straight vanilla to make Vanilla Fig.

CBE is spot on in her description & suggestions. I'm a green fig fanatic, if it smells like freshly peeled twigs I LOVE it! If your fig fo is the green type, I highly recommend adding a Vanilla & Sandalwood fo to soften it. I use BCN's BnL V & S.

[Edited to Add] Which Fig fo do you have? I'm always in search of that perfect fig scent. So far my favorite is CS Fig Tree!

Edited by mzpickles

I've only tried CS Med Fig. It smells very floral to me rather than fruity. Buts its absolutely lovely OOB and in wax or M&P soap.

With lots of FOs that I don't like before I throw out I try mixing them with something. Try reading the description to get an idea what it is already blended with then use that as indicator of what might blend well with it. Also, don't be afraid to try some wild combinations-- two wrongs (yucky FOs in this case) can be great together!

I just live with my hate for an FO. Patchouli sells like crazy and the scent has always been dreadful to me. It does not matter if it is an EO or an FO. I hate all things patchouli. However, it sells very well and I just have to deal with it. I also hate Blackberry, and I just tolerate that awful scent too.

Wow, thanks everyone.

The fig is from Aussie Candle Supplies and I don't know which US supplier they buy from, or which one it compares with. The description on the website is "Luscious fresh fig notes are highlighted by sparkling cassis and green vines."

After I take the kids to school I'm going to have a play around with it I think. Make some melts (and quickly pass them on to my mum lol) and try some mixes as well with the suggestions (or variations of the suggestions) provided.

Mixing scents is completely new to me (as most things candle related are) and I'm actually a little bit excited about it....gag factor aside :)

Love Spell makes me almost physically nauseous... Absolutely turns my stomach... It did not help that when I was having a horrible, horrible migraine spell, (with nausea), I was pouring TONS of LS. Now even a whiff of it makes me gaggy. I never like it to begin with, but now I hate it! Of all scents, why does it have to be such a gooood seller? ? ?

Rumor is patch goes with everything :D Then again, I'm a patch fan and I think probably makes all nasty things smell good lol. However, vanillas are always good at toning something down if you did not know that. But now I'm wondering how a water scent would react with what you've got.

Mixing scents is completely new to me (as most things candle related are) and I'm actually a little bit excited about it....gag factor aside :)

It's totally fun and you can look at it this way ... it could get rid of the FO you don't like. If you have Qtips or cotton swabs those are simple to use. Look at it as 1 qtip of each fragrance as a 1:1 mix (equal parts). If it's close to something you think you might like, add another qtip of one of the fragrances and see if it's better. This is an easier way to say save the scent so when you hit a bingo you have some left to do the mix. Be curious to read what you come up with.

Well, I’ve had a bit of a play around with some cotton swabs and I think I’ve come up with some good combinations. I tried mixing with 6 other FO and I got-

1 Vanilla - not a complete success. I can smell the vanilla first, but then there is a bitter smell at the end. That said, I don’t like the vanilla I have a the moment. It’s not a sweet creamy vanilla, so I’d like to try it again when I get my regular vanilla.

2 Cranberry Mandarin - Awesome! The cranberry mandarine by it’s self I’ve had trouble getting a good hot throw. With the swab test I can’t smell the fig at all, but the cranberry smell seems much stronger. Can’t wait to put this is a melt to test.

3 Ambered Sandalwood - I really don’t know how to explain that one. It smells…florally? don’t know if I like it or not, but will try it in a melt.

4 Dreamsicle - LOVE IT! Again, can’t smell the fig as such, but instead of the sweet orange juice type scent it was, it’s a super tart orange zest with a lovely following of creamy vanilla.

5 Pineapple and coconut - need to try it again with more fig. Just smells like pineapple and coconut.

6 Honeysuckle Jasmine - Interesting …Honeysuckle Jasmine I find a bit sickly sweet, but with the fig it is…hmmm…deep? I really don’t know how to put it into words.

I keep closing my eyes and taking a deep sniff and what it reminds me of is right there in my mind, just slightly out of reach. Exotic funeral home? Sounds bad doesn’t it? Lol It’s got potential.

Ohhh, you have me worried about Love Spell...

I have an order due to arrive today, and part of the order is Love Spell. It sounded lovely when I was reading on the website...but then so did fig.

I also ordered palm wax. Does that need curing time like soy? If it's shorter I might try out my blends in that so I don't have to wait as long to test them out

Lovespell from ACS is nice I like the one from NCS better. I think palm cures faster than soy I burn my melts the next day but they will last longer if I wait longer to burn them if that makes sense. Kinda out of it just took my son for a driving lesson and im still recovering *shudder*

I re-tried the pineapple and coconut with more fig, but the pineapple is overpowering everything else.

I don't think I have anything water type....

I tried with banana, which I also dislike (it was sent to me by accident instead of baby powder) and it's come out quite lovely. Smells like a fruit smoothy!