How do you deal with people asking for discounts

Recyclights

This morning I woke up to an email from an potential Etsy buyer asking if she bought 2 of an item would I discount her a few dollars on them. I declined saying that I have a very low price on pure soy candles so I would not be able to do so.

Do others find people asking this a lot for crafts? Back in the day I used to do many flea markets and antique shows with my mom who was a antique dealer. Cutting a break was just the way it was. Since it was such common place, we'd have to price a few bucks higher just to be sure we got what we wanted.

Is it common for buyers to have that same mentality with crafts? Just wondering.

You set your discounts. The public doesn't. The public is merely in this mode of saving a buck and trying to save a buck. Stick with your guns. If you decided to discount than determine what it will be and don't waiver to make a sale. They'll come back and ask you to discount more the next time. If they want it they can buy it. The business shouldn't be to run yourself out of business.

Yes, I have had that problem in my store. I live in a despressed area in Southwest PA, and I acknowledge that by offering the lowest price I can offer on everything I sell. Yet, I still had one particular customer that asked for a discount every single time she came in my store. I asked her one day if she did that everywhere she went and she said "yes". I then asked if she was given a discount when she asked for it, she responded, "sometimes" - she said it may only be 10% but she would get something. I told her I did not offer such discounts because my prices were already set as low as I could afford. This lady was well dressed, drove a new vehicle and obviously did not need a discount. She just did it because she could. She doesn't come into my store anymore, she proved to be more of a problem customer than just asking for discounts. But she was the only person that has asked. So you may not run into many that will ask, but there will be some. I wonder if it's her??? LOL

I was at a show this past weekend. After smelling all of the candles on the shelf, a lady brings up two jar candles with cash blowing out of her hands onto the ground. She asks what I would charge for two jar candles (implying a discount). I kindly replied back, "A jar candle is $6.50, so two would be $13.00" She quickly put them back and bought neither one. I look at it this way, I will definitely sell them at my next show or online. I am all about giving repeat/good customers or those who make large purchases a discount. But don't EXPECT a discount just because you want one. That isn't going to happen!

This happens quite a bit online, as well as the person who says, "I can get the exact same thing for $5.00 each. Will you match the price?(as an example)" It's either a ploy or they just don't know that candles are different(i.e. waxes, wicks, etc.) I just give them my pat answer that the price is what is and if they want to order over X amount, I will give them an X discount.

I had a woman a couple years ago ask me at a craft fair to match the price of another candlemaker there. She said well I can get 3 for this price there will you match that or beat their price. I told her no my prices are set and I could give her a deal if she bought 4 or more. She went on and didn't buy from the other person either. Now the big thing to me was, the other persons jars were completely different, smaller and she used parasoy. Why am I going to sell you a bigger candle for the same price as her smaller ones?? People will try anything to "get a deal" or to "make out" but you're not in business to cut deals for everyone especially if they aren't buying in quantities. And as stated above if you do it once they will expect it everytime. Avoid the unneccessary headaches.

I almost always get that at shows. I already have a 3 jar discount, so I don't budge on that. I also used to get it in my store as well. That was frustrating to me. I had one customer gasp over my prices, (which were not high) and said he could get the same size candle at WalMart for xxx amount. This was during christmas and there were quite a few people in the store. I politely looked at him and gave him directions to Walmart from my location. He was at a loss for words and I'm sure quite embarassed because a few of the people in the store started laughing. They told me good job and not to be intimidated by people like him. Looking back, it was priceless!!

Totally agree with everything said here. My policy was, you buy a dozen and I will give you the 13th free. However, if someone did buy a large amount of products or was a repeat customer of large amounts I would often give them a discount. You are always going to find someone who wants something for nothing. I too have given people directions to WalMart and told them good luck.

Because we do not answer to corporate, we do not have set rates and technically can discount if we choose to- makes sense why people would ask. I can't blame them. We do not get asked for discounts a lot (we also offer specials during shows), but I cannot stand when they state, "I can get this candle at !@#$%^& store for $5!!"

I tell them, although the size may be similar, they are in NO way the same quality and that I do not sell !@#$% quality items. My items are not made in China and are high quality. Honestly, a lot of people end up buying something anyway! I am honest and truthful, and I would rather bring product home with me then sell it making pennies for profit. I work too hard to pay myself any less.

IMO have your mind made up about what $ size order you are willing to discount before you hit the shows, then you will not be caught off guard when someone asks.

Once in a while at my craft shows I have someone ask me for a discount. Depends on how much and how they ask. It actually doesn't bother me when someone asks nicely or charmingly for one as long as it isn't a rediculous amount. If this is the way they ask then I probably will give them one. I've had customers come back to the same show the following year and buy more at the regular price and bring friends too.

Now if they are snarky, rude, demanding, etc. or want a rediculous amount discounted I stick to my guns, smile politely, and explain that my candles are already discounted from the retail price. Then I tell them how much my candles retail for at shops and how much I sell them at my craft shows and that shuts them up.

Nothing irritates me more than someone trying to get me to under cut my stated price. The thing that gets me are my friends who think I should just give my candle to them, because they are a friend. Not all do it, but some just feel they are entitled. One of my favorite lines, "I tell so many people I work with about your candles, you should give me a finder's fee." Really? Not to say I don't take care of my faithful followers, but come on...when you buy one candle every six months, give me a break. My favorite come back is, "When my kids' schools start discounting tuition, I will start discounting my candles."

I sooooo agree Vertically....

I'd love to ask the cashier that's checking me out at the grocer to give me a discount because I bought X number of dollars or items. Do you suppose the cashier at Target will give me a discount if I bought 5 baskets instead of one??? Nope,, and nope...

Why wheel and deal on products at craft shows?? The craft shows I vend at are high traffic and hand crafted,,, if you want to barter about price, go to a flea market, bargain store or rummage sale.

I offer discounts for multiple purchases which are listed on my sales signs... 1 for so much,, 2 for so much and 3 for so much....and I do not deviate from my sign pricing. If you sign up for my newsletter, several times through the year there is discount shopping.

If someone doesn't like my pricing, they can shop someplace else:smiley2:. The last customer that told me they could buy candles for $4.00 a jar cheaper at Walmart... I made no response other than."Have a safe trip and a nice day". I immediately moved on to another customer shopping in the bath & body section of our booth and left the complainer standing with their mouth open.:laugh2:

On a serious note,,until the customer starts paying my booth rent, expenses and salary, will they be allowed to beg for a discount or dictate pricing to me.

I took care of the friends and family hassle of discount a long time ago.... 15% straight across the board,, don't ask me for more.

Edited by SherriLynn

I had a customer pick up a non-candle object in my store (new mdse.) priced at $16.99, walk over to my counter and throw a $5 bill at my daughter and said,"take it or leave it."

Whoa. there's class for you.:rolleyes2

I hope your daughter has quick wit and told her to shove it.

LOL I love all the responses so far to how to deal with these people. Right now I'm working at the in-laws clinic (they are Dr.'s) and they are straight forward people. They always get someone being a jerk coming in trying to get their care cheaper because they don't have insurance and in-laws have no problem telling them like it is and they even go so far as to tell them about their attitude and *sigh* *wipes tear* it is so beautiful. I never bought into the thought that the "customer is always" right crap. Maybe big businesses who make there stuff in sweat shops in china and buy the cheapest crappiest products to make that item to sell it for pennies on the dollar. But when you actually get quality work to even think you can wheel and deal is so insulting. But the moment you let one customer do it that's the customers you will be attracting and I definitely believe that you can choose who your customers are going to be. So thumbs up and good jobs all around for everyone standing their grounds! And thanks for posting your responses, it's nice to get a good laugh. (the walmart ones cracked me up btw)

LOL I love all the responses so far to how to deal with these people. Right now I'm working at the in-laws clinic (they are Dr.'s) and they are straight forward people. They always get someone being a jerk coming in trying to get their care cheaper because they don't have insurance and in-laws have no problem telling them like it is and they even go so far as to tell them about their attitude and *sigh* *wipes tear* it is so beautiful. I never bought into the thought that the "customer is always" right crap. Maybe big businesses who make there stuff in sweat shops in china and buy the cheapest crappiest products to make that item to sell it for pennies on the dollar. But when you actually get quality work to even think you can wheel and deal is so insulting. But the moment you let one customer do it that's the customers you will be attracting and I definitely believe that you can choose who your customers are going to be. So thumbs up and good jobs all around for everyone standing their grounds! And thanks for posting your responses, it's nice to get a good laugh. (the walmart ones cracked me up btw)

But it is customary to charge a lower rate to the uninsured...that's not unusual for patients to ask. Insurance companies never pay the full amount they are billed, so why should uninsured patients?

steps off soapbox...

But it is customary to charge a lower rate to the uninsured...that's not unusual for patients to ask. Insurance companies never pay the full amount they are billed, so why should uninsured patients?

steps off soapbox...

I think you missed my point. It's not like they charge an outrageous amount, I don't have insurance either and haven't for the past oh 10 years so believe me when I say it's not terribly expensive and they have a nice membership program that cost $10 to join and you get $40 off each visit so it's not like they are stealing from the poor. My point is how they handle annoying customers who are just trying to get something free out of it. I hate people like that and even tho they aren't making something they are still providing a service. When I was a massage therapist there were many times when someone tried to get more time out of the massage for free but what people don't realize is it takes a lot of hard work to do the job I'm not going to do it for free. So I don't know if I upset you about the insurance issue cause believe me it's annoying how expensive health care is and I can't afford it and pray I don't get cancer or something else serious.

I think you missed my point. It's not like they charge an outrageous amount, I don't have insurance either and haven't for the past oh 10 years so believe me when I say it's not terribly expensive and they have a nice membership program that cost $10 to join and you get $40 off each visit so it's not like they are stealing from the poor. My point is how they handle annoying customers who are just trying to get something free out of it. I hate people like that and even tho they aren't making something they are still providing a service. When I was a massage therapist there were many times when someone tried to get more time out of the massage for free but what people don't realize is it takes a lot of hard work to do the job I'm not going to do it for free. So I don't know if I upset you about the insurance issue cause believe me it's annoying how expensive health care is and I can't afford it and pray I don't get cancer or something else serious.

Sorry, I think it was the analogy- healthcare to candles... I just hoped you didn't classify someone as a "jerk" simply because they asked for a reduced rate due to lack of insurance. ;)

Sorry, I think it was the analogy- healthcare to candles... I just hoped you didn't classify someone as a "jerk" simply because they asked for a reduced rate due to lack of insurance. ;)

Lol no, not having insurance I know how they feel, the analogy was just for people looking for a reduced rate and small business owners standing up and saying no. And from my experience the people that do come in big businesses looking for a reduced rate are big meanies which is what made me so tired of retail and tried to search for something else only to find those kinds of people are still there but not as many as you would find in big retail. But it is nice to see small businesses standing up and saying no.