Tea Lites Be Damned

I had to make these yesterday, 48 of the little suckers to go with hurricanes I'm makin for my kids. These things are a giant PITA and I ain't a gonna make no more. There's a store here in my area last week advertised 100 tea lites for $1.99 and I bust my butt for half a day. NO WAY IN HELL WILL I DO THAT AGAIN (EVER)

Tucker, I hate to say it but I think that you are raving! When I'm showing others how to make candles, tea lights are the joy of my life, What better use can you have for leftover wax plus everyone loves making them - feels like they're getting tons more candles for practically no effort. I use the clear plastic cups and they look really pretty. LOL. Mozzie

They can be a pain and can be bought cheap. How3ever, the cheap ones usually on last about 3 hrs here. I use left over pillar wax for them and they last 8+ hrs :smiley2:

I only put tealights in my ball hurricanes too. With the edge curving in some, votives put off a bit too much heat for them :undecided

I hear you loud and clear on that one. I made them once and I think 50 of the little metal holder things cost $3....then wax (everywhere but in the little metal holder) and wicks...NOT!! :tiptoe:

LOL Thats why I buy the tealights made up, 100 for 3.00 and throw away the wax (or use for melts) use the metal cups and sometimes the wicks even work with my wax. Saves a bunch of cash from buying the wicks and cups new. Bruce

I love tealites and I love making them - sure you can get 100 of them at the dollar store, but those burn out in about 30-45 mins and you can't smell them at all when they burn - the ones I make last over 7 hours each and scent the whole room! They're great!

Either the room is a doll house or you have an amazing secret. I've never had a tea light scent a whole room. What's your secret? Details! :D

What kind of wax are you all using to get 7-8 hrs out of them? And please give me some pointers on how you pour them. I put mine on a tray and pour but they drip all down the sides and are messing looking. Hard to get them looking good after that. I bought some molds but the wax doesn't fill the cup all the way. I tested and got about 2 hrs less burn time with the ones where I used the wax from the mold. When I pour straight into the cups I can get 5-6 hrs but yearn for more. If your going to get less time then why bother pouring your own????

WOW I just posted about these.Like I said I bet they will be a trip to try and wick.Now i see the other problems.Wax everywhere.I am sure I would wear it knowing me.Even with tarts I end up with some on the aluminum foil I lay down to save my table.I miss the tart mold at times too.

Well we will see.I have to get tealights first but will try and let ya'll know.It may not be this week.I want to plan some Valentine ideas now and my website.I was planning on offering these on the site.Will see???Also for the votives they aren't to bad but would rather pour in the flower pot and do the votives that way.

LynnS

I used to have trouble pouring tealights too, but I find that if you have less wax in your pour pot, it's easier to control when pouring. I use a small pour pot, filled about halfway up when I pour - not sure how anyone else is doing this, but I find that works best.

I was telling my mother-in-law how long my tealights last and she didn't believe me, so we tested some on Christmas - she couldn't believe it when the tealight I lit at 11:00AM was still burning at 8:00PM! We finally blew it out (so as not to tempt an already over-stimulated 2 year old niece). But as far as the pouring goes, it gets easier with time and practice!

I don't know about others, but I used the 4625. I haven't tried buying wicks yet. I took the tea lights I got from th dollar tree (26 for $1.00) popped em out of the cups and pulled out the wicks. Then I used my own wax. I'm just playing around. Not trying for a super scent throw, specailly since I use a pillar wax and the cups are so small. I just wanted them to burn longer than the stores.

I use a little metal cream pitcher that I got used at a restaurant supply place to do tea lights and votives with. Pour from the big pouring pitcher into the little one and away you go. It was pretty easy getting the little lid off the cream pitcher to use for this