A Scentsy Story

CandleMakinCutiePie

So,i've been dabbling in tart making lately.I had put on my facebook that i was making tarts and was going to put scentsy to shame,lol!It was truly a joke.Anyways,my cousins mother in law sells scentsy and when she saw this post,she blew up my page telling me not to talk shit about other people's products and how I better put a lot of "smelly stuff" is what she called it,in my tarts because the walmart ones are way too weak.(Not sure what this has to do with mine)Also,she made an announcement as well that if anyone burns my tarts in a scentsy warmer and the warmer breaks that scentsy will not replace it!I was seriously rolling with laughter!I do not even sell these yet!Also,I thought it was hilarious that she called FO "smelly stuff"!!!!I just think it is so funny how defensive these people get about their scentsy!As if they've actually put any time and effort into it!I told her good luck making the owners of scentsy even richer,lol!I just wanted to share this experience with you all.I figured others would get a kick out of it like I did!I think it is so funny how scentsy reps stand behind their products as if they created them!I am a crafter,a creator,most importantly,but when I am ready with some kick ass products,I AM going to put her scentsy to shame and corner the melt market in my area and try not to stick my tongue out at her and say nah nah nah nah boo boo,scentsy who?:pLmao!!!

I don't live in a small backwoods hick town and live half way between Buffalo and Rochester NY...I have a had a candle and tart addiction sinze I was a size 8 (translation a verrrry long time ago) and yet never heard of Scentsy until someone sent me a clamshell of 5 chicklet sized tarts. I was totally unimpressed. Then in October when I went for my mammogram there was a Scentsy woman set up in the women's waiting room selling pink ribbon tart warmers for $40.00 a pop and I bought one...it's....fine, okay, nothing extraordinary. This women's center probably does several hundred mammos a day....members here on the board from the Rochester area probably already know where I'm talking about. I asked if there was some day in the month of October I could sell breast cancer awareness soap and candle items and told them I would donate 25% of what I sold to a breast cancer related charity. Every now and then a woman in a hospital gown naked from the waist up would sniff my items like they were smelling dog poo but even with the 25% being taken off the top it was the most money I ever made in the month of October since I started pouring. One day at this clinic made 7 Octobers look like pee wee candle selling. If you wait for your mammo results at this clinic you usually are there 2 to 3 hours.

Scentsy sales people were in and out of there all day (by coincidence I believe) pooh poohing my scents...WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? WHEN I THINK HUGE CANDLE COMPANIES only Yankee comes to mind. Loving candles and tarts as much as I do I can't figure out how I've missed them all these years? Are they anywhere near the kingdom of Yankee in popularity?

There was a craft show I was looking into selling ONLY "handmade" products and scentsy got a booth. I don't understand it. And what's up with all these snooty attitudes I keep hearing about? I actually look forward to meeting someone who sells Scentsy just so I can see how they act lol..

The first time I even heard of Scentsy was a few months ago - up until then, NEVER had heard of them. Well, last week a friend of mine stopped over and let me try out a Scentsy tart she bought and I wasn't impressed one bit - neither was she. The scent lasted about 5 hours and honestly wasn't that strong. I'm clueless as to what all the hype is about with their tarts.

I will say this, after getting to try a Scentsy, I feel better about my tarts. I don't have that many that have turned out as good as I'd like - but the few that have, are much better than the Scentsy I tried last week.

Taking tart sales from Scentsy is like taking candy from a baby. Their warmers are great but the wax leaves a lot to be desired. Most people realize what they are getting from Scentsy at an overblown price and will be loyal customers for you and other handmade candle makers once they try ours. I have even melted a couple tarts in a Scentsy warmer at a show just to show that you can use our wax in their pot.

We discovered Scentsy before I started playing with candlemaking and have been burning them fairly regularly since.

I made my first tarts on Tuesday. On Wed I did a test burn & on Thursday me and my SO were fighting because we were late for work and grumpy . . .

In the middle of it he turns to me and says "In all serious I just want to say that I think your scents are wonderful and are lasting much longer than the Scentsy ones" And this was a tart with only 24hrs cure and only a 5% scent load . . .

Needless to say, we stopped fighting after that.

Had a fundraiser for an animal shelter cancelled this week because one of the main gals became a "scentsy seller". She is doing it now with scentsy. Hopefully this phase will pass like all of the other rages I have survived in my candle business the past 9 years. The scentsy sellers are everywhere here. They trip over themselves at craft shows. Can u have too much? sure hope so. Would be too bad if they ran out of buyers from being oversaturated. :laugh2:

A friend of mine just started as a rep for Scentsy. She made an announcement on her Facebook and had people asking what it was. After she explained, there were a lot of "wow, that sounds neat" and "I need to try that" posts. Wonder how they'll feel after they see the price?

In all fairness to the scentsy sellers,I do know one rep who isn't a COMPLETE nutter!Most of these people are just trying to make a living like the rest of us,it's just frusterating how psychotic some of them can be!I burned their tart bars before I even started making candles,and wasn't impressed with their products,even then.Plus,without scentsy selling the ever living crap outta their warmers,all of the real chandlers customers wouldn't have anything to burn their quality tarts in!!Like most of us have realized,they really are a blessing in disguise!!Plus,it is so fun hearing all of the stories of run-ins with them!Gives me something to chuckle about!!

It is pretty funny. I ran into my first Scentsy person at a little "vendor" event at the local historical society mansion a few weeks ago. I expected it though because out of 15 vendors there were only 2 of us that were handmade (other was a purse/tote maker). Because there also was going to be Scentsy & Home Interiors (or whatever they are called now), I had a TINY spot and I sell way more soap and B&B anyway I decided to leave all my wax stuff home and focus on B&B sets. I had to laugh at the look on the Scentsy lady's face when she tried the high pressure "since you obviously like scented products you HAVE to try our warmers & melts" and went on & on about how wonderful they are. When I could get a word in I responded by thanking her and saying I was all set because I make my own. She was floored and didn't know how to respond so she just stammered a bit and walked out of the room. I almost wondered if I was the first person she'd met that actually makes them. Even the other girls in the room with me were chuckling and commenting on her reaction after she left the room. All of them had come across Scentsy at other events and weren't at all impressed.

She did come back later and tried to tell me that my melts couldn't possibly be as strong as theirs and that I should really try them because if I did that I wouldn't bother wasting time making my own. Really? Then why do I have customers that have been coming back for more for years...again dumbfounded look on her face...she came back with "you mean you sell them?" Ummm...YA...my company is soap, B&B AND wax products but I only had so much room today so I focused on Valentine's gift sets. I went on to explain that at a normal show my minumum space size is typically 10x10' or larger to accomodate all my products but this was a special case. You could have picked up her jaw from the floor...she FINALLY left me alone.

There was a craft show I was looking into selling ONLY "handmade" products and scentsy got a booth. I don't understand it. And what's up with all these snooty attitudes I keep hearing about? I actually look forward to meeting someone who sells Scentsy just so I can see how they act lol..

that could be another reason I don't see them. I've only done adjudicated craft shows and they are vigilant about who they let in. I had to do step by step photos of my products and I remember some jewelry seller that didn't set up the night before, comes in the day of and starts putting out their stuff and party booking calendar and they were refunded their space fee and asked to leave.

It is pretty funny. I ran into my first Scentsy person at a little "vendor" event at the local historical society mansion a few weeks ago. I expected it though because out of 15 vendors there were only 2 of us that were handmade (other was a purse/tote maker). Because there also was going to be Scentsy & Home Interiors (or whatever they are called now), I had a TINY spot and I sell way more soap and B&B anyway I decided to leave all my wax stuff home and focus on B&B sets. I had to laugh at the look on the Scentsy lady's face when she tried the high pressure "since you obviously like

scented products you HAVE to try our warmers & melts" and went on & on about how wonderful they are. When I could get a word in I responded by thanking her and saying I was all set because I make my own. She was floored and didn't know how to respond so she just stammered a bit and walked out of the room. I almost wondered if I was the first person she'd met that actually makes them. Even the other girls in the room with me were chuckling and commenting on her reaction after she left the room. All of them had come across Scentsy at other events

and weren't at all impressed.

She did come back later and tried to tell me that my melts couldn't possibly be as strong as theirs and that I should really try them because if I did that I wouldn't bother wasting time making my own. Really? Then why do I have customers that have been coming back for more for years...again dumbfounded look on her face...she came back with "you mean you sell them?" Ummm...YA...my company is soap, B&B AND wax products but I only had so much room today so I focused on

Valentine's gift sets. I went on to explain that at a normal show my minumum space size is typically 10x10' or larger to accomodate all my products but this was a special case. You could have picked up her jaw from the floor...she FINALLY left me alone.

Actually it was your last paragraph that I liked...next time start asking her all the technical questions regarding her products, the amount of oil used per pound, does scentky develop their own oils and if they are animal test, ask her are they votive or container wax.....just hammer her for info...

They are huge here in Utah- started here before they went to Idaho I think. Anyways, sales are easy to take from them because #1- they are reps. They dont make a damn thing and their "arguments" against our handmade tarts fall apart the second you start pressing them. They couldnt tell you a single thing about the fragrance oils, about the actual wax.. and they cant beat us on price because they have to charge more so they get paid themselves! There is no middle man for us.

I have a sign that says ".5oz more, handpoured in Ogden, Utah, and $1.50 less!" and I sell 4x the tarts they do if they are at a show I'm doing.

If people want to support a mom- they can support me! If people want to support small business- I'm the obvious choice over scentsy. If people want to know who they are buying from- hello, let me shake your hand and tell you about my workshop, my process, and explain in detail how I do what I do- THAT is the difference between me and scentsy.

Scentsy reps tend to be rude because they are taught to be. They are taught we are copying them, when in all reality its the other way around- scentsy started the same way we all did- and they were NOT the first to use clamshells despite what they claim. They are taught to be firm, to put down other burners and tarts- and to claim our tarts will break their burners. They make so little on each tart sale its no wonder they fight so hard for them.

Be warned- they are spreading like the plague. I cant go anywhere without seeing at least 2-3 cars with scentsy stickers on them, and there are 300+ reps in my "area" and they practically claw EACHOTHERS eyes out trying to get spots at shows and markets.

Sometimes Scentsy, Avon, etc. get in anyway. I've seen it happen even at juried handmade only craft shows. When that happens I get pretty hoppin mad!:mad:

me too. I got a refund for my booth fee at a show last fall that was stated as handmade only and juried.. I was LIVID that not only did scentsy get a double booth, but they were set right by the entrance. I spoke with another vendor who confirmed it was one of the organizers sister in law! ooooh hell no. I was so mad.

I had never heard of Scentsy until I was at Ft. Sill, OK last year with my husband. I saw the sticker thingy on the back of a car, so I went back home and looked it up.

My 2 pennies worth is they are just like PartyLite, Home Interiors and the other pyramid businesses. I don't negate them as their consultants are looking for a way to make money too. Lots jump on the bandwagon, flood the market, charge the same high prices and then the interest eventually fades. It's all good with me, because I like the competition and I like knowing that I am not working myself only to line the pockets of some big corp. All of us as Candle Makers have spent time and money doing the research, testing, and perfecting what we have. Home made will always prevail IMHO. :yay:

Just an extra FYI, we have a local business thingy here. I checked archives and the like for fellow candlemakers/sellers. None. The day I listed my business (very simple and to the point) 4 Scentsy consultants posted theirs. My point is that us "Home Maders" put a little bit of fear into them...otherwise, there would not be no goofy a$$ claims. :P

I think their pots are really cute. But their scents are not so good. It looks like to me that the person that ordered the scents told the manufacturer, I want everything you got that is so strong it will knock you over. Never realizing that strong is not always better. A lot of their scents are ones that I have tried and thrown out. OVERPOWERING, headachy scents. I have talked to several that put theirs away because they were too strong. My customers begged me to make my scents for their pots. So I did. I was hoping they were as good as Scentsys and what I found is they are so much better. They love them. I am glad that Scentsy didn't know how to pick out scents. It is making me money. And this thing about them not guaranteeing their pots if they use other melts, is bologna. How would they know if you used another brand. That can be cleaned out. I don't ever down their product outside of us candlemakers. I always say they have a good product. It only makes you look bad if you down the other guy. If they see that you are not downing them, they tend to come look and see what you carry too. Some of my customers used mine and Scentsy. They know I am fine with this. That makes them feel better. :smiley2: