Pop Colors?

inherowndominion

I was going to email peaks- but you know what- they look the same! I wonder about contacting peaks and seeing about doing a pops co-op. I have about 2oz of each color right now and I need more. I wonder how much they have.. and if they could handle a bulk order from all of us... but they only have raspberry and apple green that I see.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Conservatorie carries a lot of micas but they don't market specifically to soapers so you'd have to do some trial and error experimentation to see what works. I just bought a bunch of samples to try. I have read and seen elsewhere that shamrock green, medium blue, magic yellow, merlot, and one of the violets are CP stable.

I know this reply isn't about pop colors, but it may be helpful...

Here is what I do... I mix my own colors using fd&c/d&c dyes, ultramarines, and oxides, etc. I weigh out 1/2 gram of dye to 49.5 grams of water. That way I know the ratio is always .5:49.5 or 1:99. I put the powdered dye and water into a dropper bottle. Shake, shake, shake. Add preservative. (Preservative may not be needed if you are going to refrigerate. I've done this without problems. Just keep in a fridge that is about 34 degrees.)

There are a lot of fd&c/d&c dyes to choose from, but most suppliers will give you an idea of what red 40 looks like compared to red 3 or red 28. Blue 1 turns a shade of pink or purple in an alkali environment (in contact with lye) depending on how much you use. The color of the soap base, most being a bit yellow/gold or greenish will affect the ultimate color. If you are trying for a blue, you need to experiment a little (I cheat and look at the inci info for LabColors & Select Shades and go from there.) I keep my basic colors mixed (blue 1, red 40, red 28, green 5, green 8 among others) and then either mix in the lye water for a solid colored bar or if I am swirling, use oxides/ultramarines. They seem to bleed less than the fd&c. After I have a dye blend that I like, I mix a batch in a dropper bottle.

Some dyes are oil or glycerin dispersible, therefore, use oil or glycerin. Use appropriate preservative.

I haven't seen the inci info for pop colors, although I have looked, haven't found. If anyone has the info, it wouldn't be hard to mix them up yourself. (On a stinker note, if the company is keeping them secret, I have a bit of a problem with this because they are intended to be used on the skin and want to know if there is anything that I may be allergic to. I'm allergic to some of the oxides.) If anyone has the inci info, could you pass it along? Thank you

Forgot...

Micas are made by taking a mica sub-straight (the mineral) and applying pigments and dyes. So, a blue mica that is colored with Blue 1 will turn pink or purple in cp soap. Keep this in mind if you are going to experiment. If the dye or pigment does funky things on its own, the mica made using that dye or pigment will do the same thing. The supplier should be able to give you information on what is in the particular mica.

If you are using micas to make lipstick or eyeshadow, make sure those you experiment with are safe for lips or eyes. Not such a great concern, other than being skin safe, if you are using in soap.

I havent done any testing yet but did order a bunch of oxides to test, black, brown, chrom green, orange, for non-vegans carmine might be an option, red oxide blue, red oxide 170, red oxide, yellow oxide...

im going to give them all a shot, I'll update with results. been too busy to soap lately...:sad2:

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered some of the new neon colors from Bramble berry today. We'll see how they do once they get here. I still have my original pack of POP colors and still have a pretty good amount left, so I can see how they do side by side.