How do you cut your soft waxes?

Well, this reminded me that I had some J223 and J50 and Harmony to break up. Depends on anatomy.

I was able to bend and break a 2 inch section then bend/break that in threes then repeat by hand until I had two 5/lb slabs broken down.

I can imagine thin female hands not having that ability.

I don't know what to suggest other than a very large knife with a hand towel folded to prevent the dull side from hurting your hands and the pressure of your weight to cut the wax. Be careful. Don't slip.

I bought a hot knife from Harbor Freight that plugs in and heats up, but I never used it. Maybe it will work for you.

For harder wax, a chisel and a hammer works just fine.

Soft wax? - I just use a mayo spreader or butter knife. A putty knife used to spread plaster works well too.

Pam...lol. I guess my terminology may be off, it is not exactly that soft! It is just not the kind you can freeze and then break up...

The wire thing sounds good though, I'll have to figure that one out. And Steve, ha ha, my husband already laughs at me when I try breaking up my harder waxes...I can just see his reaction when I try to bend it! He'd be laughing his butt off!

Thanks for all the replies! You are all very helpful!

Is there any way to get all the gooey IGI 4627 off the sides of the plastic bag? There is a TON still stuck to that. Using anything heated is only going to melt the plastic. :confused:

Has anyone tried freezing this wax? It's such a mess to get out. Maybe freezing your bag will make the wax hard enough to pop off the plastic bag.

I have used 4627 since 2003, and learned quick to get a box of the powder free rubber gloves. The wire cutting thingy I mentioned above goes thru the plastic, so I am able to cut a "wedge" out of the block and then peel the plastic off. Unfortunately, the wax is so goopy that I do have to pull the small chunks that stick to the plastic...but the gloves DO keep my hands clean.

Has anyone tried freezing this wax? It's such a mess to get out. Maybe freezing your bag will make the wax hard enough to pop off the plastic bag.

It is funny that you mention this...I orginally freezed mine because that is what I read to do, but didn't realize it was for the harder waxes, so that is why I was having such a hard time cutting my wax! And yes, the plastic pulls right off when you freeze it, BUT it is near impossible to cut until it thaws out...

Once it DID thaw, I just cut it with a large knife (soooo easy!). I laid it on the counter with an overhang and cut from that overhang. I am actually only cutting small amounts off though, so for a large scale, I'd say the wire thing is best!

I rarely cut wax anymore since switching to GG. But when I do I use my butcher knife. Not only does it cut thru wax easy but can seperate the blocks too by sliding it in between the slabs.

I notice no one has mentioned the electric heat cutting slicer for cutting wax. I don't have one but have seen pictures of them on suppliers sites that sell them. The cutting blade heats up to slice right thru the wax like butter. If I can find the site that sells them I'll post it.

Found one at Lonestar. Its actually a crafters hot knife so I think you can probably find one at your local craft supply too:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlemakingequipment_crafter's-hot-knife.html

I think at $47.95 thats probably why I didn't end up buying one. But I think it would be worth the money to splurge on one. Especially for anyone who really struggles with cutting up sticky soft wax slabs.

post-3620-139458477227_thumb.jpg

Edited by Candybee

• 2 weeks later...
Well, this reminded me that I had some J223 and J50 and Harmony to break up. Depends on anatomy.

I was able to bend and break a 2 inch section then bend/break that in threes then repeat by hand until I had two 5/lb slabs broken down.

I can imagine thin female hands not having that ability.

I don't know what to suggest other than a very large knife with a hand towel folded to prevent the dull side from hurting your hands and the pressure of your weight to cut the wax. Be careful. Don't slip.

I bought a hot knife from Harbor Freight that plugs in and heats up, but I never used it. Maybe it will work for you.

For harder wax, a chisel and a hammer works just fine.

I have thin female hands and I can bend it:laugh2: I'm not freakishly strong or anything. I just score the wax with a dough scraper and bend it on the edge of the counter until it breaks apart and repeat each section.

For harder waxes I take out each slab and place it in a rubbermaid container (the big one) and beat the hell out of it in the container with a hammer until I get workable chunks and repeat until the entire case is in the container.

I just recently tried pulling a piece of fishing wire through container wax. What a dream! Thanks for the idea everyone.

Now to beat the crap out of some votive wax in a rubbermaid container. it would be safer than my steak knife trick. :laugh2: