Here is my list of FO with big thumbs down, bad scent

AlwaysWondering

I know scent is personal but these really smelled bad or off. Has nothing to d0 with strength or throw (I have a LONG list of weak scents), these just smelled horrible in my opinion. Hope I can save you some money.

Alabaster Fresh Cut Grass - smells more like the compost pile on a very hot summer day. Horrid. If my fresh cut lawn smelled like that, my neighbors would boot us out of the subdivision.

Bright Scents Sun and Sand - smells nothing like summer or the beach or tanning, more like strong perfume. Maybe you could rename it to Evening in Paris

Bright Scents Cedarwood Spice - just not a good scent.

Natures Garden Bacon - too smokey, not even blendable so smokey

Natures Garden Fireplace - was all smoke, choking smoke, could hardly breathe kind of smoke, detected no other notes.

Aroma Haven Honeysuckle - just not a good Honeysuckle at all

Candle & Supplies Banana Nut Bread - very artificial smelling, lacks baking notes, weak. Bleh.

Backwoods Coconut Curry - just a very bad fragrance, hard to even describe. Sometimes you think a blend will be interesting but not this one.

Candle Science Asian Amber - I'm not sure if this is a personal dislike but it stunk the place up something horrible. I sniffed it out of the bottle and almost turned green but thought maybe it would be better in wax. Ugh.

It's funny how different people tolerate aromas. I've had people come to my booth and smell a fragrance and set it down with the "I just sucked a lemon" look on their face.

And someone right behind them will OOooh and AAaah over the same fragrance and buy a couple of clamshells. I personally have a hard time with the laundry detergent type scents ... but I continue to pour them because they sell.

I do agree that some of the names definitely do not match the names they are given. In that case I just change the name. Wonder how much interest it would generate if you did name a candle Compost Pile? :rolleyes2

CS Asian Amber is actually one of my new top sellers :smiley2: in my "spa-like" line.

Cheers,

Steve

OOB it has a little too much green smell for my liking but I'm using it as as overpour on nag champa chunk candles.....creates a really nice fragrance for anyone who likes earthy scents.

If you want to try something really fun, keep a scent name for a group of candles, but pour identical candles and give them a different name. See how long it takes for someone to come along and hate one but love the other.

So true. This blew me away when I saw it. Also, changing the color can cause a scent to sell. I guess that's why big companies (ie Yank) are constantly recycling scents with different names and/or colors.

Eve

If you want to try something really fun, keep a scent name for a group of candles, but pour identical candles and give them a different name. See how long it takes for someone to come along and hate one but love the other.

And for added fun, change the color of the candles!!! I tripped my sis-in-law up with two of the same colored pink candle....one was a yank dup of fresh cut roses, the other was mimosa and mandarin (neither were labeled). To her, they both smelled like roses! Funny how our minds associate color, names, etc. to what we expect them to be.

Thought about going colorless with my line, but after that, realized color (as well as creative naming) play a BIG part in what sells!

I'm convinced if I made an orange colored bayberry candle, people would smell it and say "Wow...This smells just like fresh peeled oranges"!!! LOL....Know what I mean??? :laugh2:

LMAO!! Or make them identical, call them the same thing, just different colors and then listen to them argue about it.

Edited by Scented

I am always entertained by how subjective the sense of smell is for each person.

I love CS Asian Amber. It just has a nice heady amber/herbal scent to it. And yet, I knew as soon as I smelled it OOB that a lot of people would hate it. Most of my female neighbors turn their noses up at it. It is not "soft" enough for them. Until I get to the neighbors who love patchouli and sandalwood and earthy scents....and then the response is "Wow! I love that!"

Here's one I don't care for: CS Very Vanilla - there is a bitter note in it that my nose picks up when I sniff it OOB and when I put it in the wax I still smell it. It just blocks the Vanilla scent for me. And yet...Very Vanilla often gets positive reviews on this board. It's a little frustrating because I like vanilla scents. Go figure!

Because I am a candlemaker - my neighbor swears she can smell me making candles all the time....while I am out grocery shopping, at the veterinarian, out of town for two weeks...or while I am at home at night watching a movie...having not made a single candle in 3 days.

Guilt by association. I am a candlemaker therefore the smell of cookies wafting into her backyard on a Saturday afternoon must be coming from my house...even though my car is not in the driveway and I am clearly not home. LOL!

Both Peaks Asian Sandalwood and CS Asian Amber are great sellers for me. But I do mix them with other oils. The one with Peaks Asian Sandalwood is my #2 top seller in soap. I mix it with patchouli for a sandalwood patch. Customers love it.

CS Asian Amber is a fantastic mixer. I have blended it with gardenia, bamboo, musk, and others. Its strong so you only need a little.

I wonder if the original OP is expressing an opinion of OOB? I am also wondering if the OP actually tried putting any of these oils in an application? You certainly can't judge a FO strictly OOB. Its only an indicator. You can only be sure once you put it in something at the right % to see how it reacts.

Edited by Candybee

(Re the origininal post) Actually, Natures' Garden Fireplace sells really well for me...funny there is a market for smoky scents....

I use another "campfire" scent that a retired fire chief that can't get enough of it...go figure!

Edited by marcuset

Both Peaks Asian Sandalwood and CS Asian Amber are great sellers for me. But I do mix them with other oils. The one with Peaks Asian Sandalwood is my #2 top seller in soap. I mix it with patchouli for a sandalwood patch. Customers love it.

CS Asian Amber is a fantastic mixer. I have blended it with gardenia, bamboo, musk, and others. Its strong so you only need a little.

Thanks for the blending ideas :cheesy2:

Here's one I don't care for: CS Very Vanilla - there is a bitter note in it that my nose picks up when I sniff it OOB and when I put it in the wax I still smell it. It just blocks the Vanilla scent for me. And yet...Very Vanilla often gets positive reviews on this board.

Same here! Something is a little 'off' about it to me as well both OOB and in wax. I really wanted to like it, but no go.

The worst scent that I ever smelled in my life was one that I purchased in the classies here. It is called MOROCCAN CINNAMON. In actuality, it smelled like dirty armpits. It was the most disgusting scent that I have ever smelled and it takes A LOT to turn me off. I cannot even remember the supplier because I got rid of this bottle of stench the next day. I opened the bottle and wanted to puke. The seller is a decent poster here. I had a few other things in the order that smelled wonderful. This foul scent was NOT one of them!!!

Edited by Noodle

Tossing something out just on OOB impressions might be a mistake. Stella, one of the more knowledgeable people here, posted awhile back that some nag champa she got smelled repulsive like dirty gym socks (or something like that) at first, and it ended up curing wonderfully in wax after a few weeks.

Edited by Darbla

I agree that tossing something OOB is not a good idea. I made a body butter tester with my Moroccan Cinnamon and then tossed it the next day after it still smelled like armpits. I did not need another cinnamon soap scent, and honestly, I could not bear to work with it.