making a smoking candle

Okay, this is a new one for all of you. I have a potential customer that wants pillar candles that smoke a lot. He says the smoke from the burning candle does something he likes on paints when he puts them on canvas. I never thought I'd get a request for a smoking candle. We have all strived to make a candle that does not smoke, or not too much, anyway. So, what do I put in the candle to make it smoke like a smoke stack. Bigger wick, more scent. He said a lady in Chicago dipped the wick in something to make it smoke. Any ideas ladies?

I think I understand what he's trying to do. He lets smoke get in wet paint so it'll have streaks in it. I make sure my candles don't smoke and don't have any suggestions other then severely over wick one. If it was me though, I wouldn't touch that project with a ten foot wick :laugh2:

I think I understand what he's trying to do. He lets smoke get in wet paint so it'll have streaks in it. I make sure my candles don't smoke and don't have any suggestions other then severely over wick one. If it was me though, I wouldn't touch that project with a ten foot wick :laugh2:

Ditto, I have done this and the effect is really nice. However, what I did was to hold a butter knife in the flame of a candle and let the resulting smoke drift onto the paint project.

I would tell the customer to buy cheap Walmart candles and they will most likely get the effect wanted.

If you wanted to get really crazy you could research making a tallow candle- I read somewhere before way back in the day before "normal" waxes they made them of I think beef fat....real smokey and stinky!:tongue2:

I wouldn't go there but it sounds like it would work- beef fat....yuck!

Beef tallow is soap is one of the very best soaping oils, although it is out of favor with most because it is animal based. Therefore most will substitute the tallow for Palm. Tallow not only provides a hard, conditioning bar, but also gives a nice creamy lather. Of course tallow is only part of most soap recipes.

Sorry OP for the high-jack :)

Its not just ANY smoke.....

Its carbon black that is the key which is virtually impossible to get from any other source than an open flame.

Smoke from a cig, or incense or any other "smokey" item is not the same as that pure carbon black you get from a "smokey candle".

You could try increasing the amount mineral oil in a paraffin wax votive, a non-curling wick that doesnt self trim well (that mushrooms) will increase the likely hood of smoking also.

optionally you might recommend he pickup a sight smoker.

http://www.sbsdistributing.com/6.html

Edited by schmism

Interesting...and of course I had to google painting with smoke to see what it's about. Called fumage...quite interesting and a practice that goes back a LONG time. I'd never heard of it...but then I'm not an artist.

I had heard of a sight smoker...as my H was a sniper at one time for a swat team...but had never seen one, so thanks for those links schmism. A pillar or taper candle seems to be the preferred method, from what I read, and probably cheaper lol.

Anyway...ya learn something new on this site all the time. Good luck cactus lady with whatever you do on this.

I have had no problem at all getting soot and smoke from the Yaley wicks. I just finished re-wicking some candles to get rid of the Yaley's (in paraffin).

Also, for some reason, the LX's smoked a lot in paraffin pillars. You could see the trail of black going up from the top of the flame.

Edited by EricofAZ

I have had no problem at all getting soot and smoke from the Yaley wicks. I just finished re-wicking some candles to get rid of the Yaley's (in paraffin).

Also, for some reason, the LX's smoked a lot in paraffin pillars. You could see the trail of black going up from the top of the flame.[/quote]

Shoot.....I use LX wicks for most every type of candles I pour except votives. They work great in my palm pillars and my parasoy container candles so they have become my preferred wick. And I have been thinking about trying the rustic pillars using the paraffin pillar wax that several people here use and recommend from Candlewic. I bought a 10 lb. slab....and of course was going to use LX.

I have just about every type of wick sold so I guess I will start with another type. I use only pretabbed wicks since I use pillar wick pins. I'm not interested in using spooled wicking...I want to do it the easy way. lol

You don't need to go changing your wick based on my post here or anyone else. As you know, there are a lot of variables. Maybe you are using a different wax (palm for example, mine was paraffin) and maybe a different blend, and maybe a different size of LX wick.

If it works and seems to be burning right and you are happy with the soot/mushroom/undesirables then stick with it.