Pyramids and Hurricane Candles

tonyjazz

Got some new molds for these. Parrafin wax, watermelon FO. Seeds painted in acrylics. Kamasutra FO for the 'canes...............

The middle pyramid is my attempt at the Puerto Rican flag, blue and white star painted with acrylics. ( I live in PR )......TJ

post-12651-139458475805_thumb.jpg

post-12651-139458475812_thumb.jpg

post-12651-139458475819_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonyjazz

Love love love the floral hurricane! PR candle- very nice...

Have to ask... for your coconut shell candles, how do you prevent the wax from leaking through the cracks? I have a small percentage that leak through, and have been looking for some way to prevent that. Possibly lining the shell with something that is fire safe...?

VERY pretty 'canes! You have a natural talent that is shining! :)

Just a FYI, pyramids that are not centered will not be centered when they burn down, like the first and last one in your photo. Yours are lovely, but the offset stance will make the burn somewhat difficult. The center one looks perfect! :)

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks Envy for the comments on the florals. Had a bunch of azaleas that bloom this time of year and pressed them, used Vaseline and a painting knife to apply them on the mold and painted with hot wax. I love these at night.

Coconuts have a soft and hard end. The part with 3 darker holes are the soft part and one of them is super soft........to get to the drink and when the coconut starts to make a new palm. So , I always try and use only the hard part. You mentioned that wax was getting through the cracks................unless its been dropped or banged around it show be waterproof. I had an unpleasant experience with one of my coconut candles ( one with 2 frogs ), that was my favorite candles and I re-wicked and refilled it 3 times. BAD IDEA! Ignited the husk...so I'm placing a stone on the bottom and glue the wick to that.( Short wicking ) So far that works fine and no refills.........

Thanks Stella for the comments and input. Very helpful tip about the off centering......I think this was more of a bad placement technique when taking the pic. I placed the candle on one of the folds and it gave the illusion of it being slanted.( not to mention the anamorphic distortion using close up lens).....That info is very helpful to me and I will re shoot that pic cause I use this one on my website......Great Eye, thanks.............

Thanks soapbuddy for the fine comments/////

Toni S........So glad you liked these, my favorite.........stems are painted in acrylics........still waiting to see how acrylics work on candles.....I was always taught that acrylics don't work on top of oil......."("........

Well, I don't have any experience with acrylics (water based) or oils on wax ... or the wax color pens that I've seen referenced here from time to time.

I do think that the hurricanes you created are quite attractive and this is one of your better "art" projects you've shared with us so far IMHO.

Test a lot, light that acrylic on fire and see what happens. If its benign, then you hit on something quite wondrous and inspiring.

• 5 weeks later...
for the comments on the florals. Had a bunch of azaleas that bloom this time of year and pressed them, used Vaseline and a painting knife to apply them on the mold and painted with hot wax.

Hi,

Tonyjazz, I just love the Azalea hurricane you made, absolutely amazing!

I assume you use an insert mold inside the normal candle mold?

Did you actually stick the flowers on the inside of the normal mold with vaseline? Does that mean that there is no wax layer to cover the flowers (as the flower is stuck to the mold?) or will the flowers start 'floating' once you pour the wax in so they will get covered with a wax layer?

Do you think it could be possible to make this hurricane without an insert?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Marieke

Thanks for the comments. PR candles sold out at last show.

On the HC's

I used Vaseline, then with a brush coated flowers in hot wax and let it cool before pouring. Used metal mold with insert and you could probably not use the insert, lots of wax to fill though. Plus the added heat when not using insert would probably make the flowers float down........

Acrylic paint holding up so far, yeah!

Thanks for the comments. PR candles sold out at last show.

On the HC's

I used Vaseline, then with a brush coated flowers in hot wax and let it cool before pouring. Used metal mold with insert and you could probably not use the insert, lots of wax to fill though. Plus the added heat when not using insert would probably make the flowers float down........

Acrylic paint holding up so far, yeah!

tonyjazz love the hurricanes; But may I ask why the Vaseline and how do you applied it in the hurricane base or the flowers with the hat wax :)

thank you

Stella: I always test them before a sale......usually make batches of 6 and keep one for personal use and testing, fragrance throw..............

Sherry: The azaleas are really thin flowers and very delicate. I press them for a few days, then apply a thin coat with my fingers on the mold and place the flower where I want. Then with a brush I paint the flower with hot wax and let cool. The insert I fill with cold water and all this helps maintain the flower were I want it when I pour the wax.