POLL: Average batch size

Are you talking about meltor batches or pour pot batches? I melt my wax in a meltor then transport it into my pour pot to add my FO.

I don't do a typical pour pot batch. I make candles to order and replenish my 'in stock' supply as needed.

So my pour pot may hold anywhere from 8 oz to 4 lbs depending on how many of one scent I need. I normally use 6% FO load for most oils, less in some more in others.

I do typically use the larger pour pots thou that can hold up to 6 lbs but never fill it that much as the heavyness of the load will eventually wear down the muscles and tissues in my wrists and hands. Its possible to get carpel tunnel from constantly pouring too heavy pots. So I normally don't do more that 2-4 lbs at a time for the bigger orders/restocking pours.

I pour to order. I usually pour 3 (8 oz tins) of each scent at a time or one 16 oz Apothecary or one 16 oz tin and one 8 oz tin depending on what's ordered. I find doing them in 16 oz increments is easier for me. Anything more than that at once gets really messy for me.

I don't like to have a lot of finished candles just sitting on the shelf either.

About 4.5 pounds of wax to 5 oz of FO typically, but it will vary (and I add more if I'm seeking to mottle). I can get an average of six 3x3.5 pillars off this and a couple of votives.

I go with pots and have eight of them that I can circulate if I'm feeling the need to pour, pour, pour.

Edited by Scented

I don't batch much but sometimes I do. I'll batch three half pound containers at a time so that I can put a case together with 4 FO's.

As for the pillars, sometimes I'll load 3 pounds and 5 oz FO and pour three molds in a bean tray at an angle with no dye, then before it sets up, add some dye and pour some more and rotate the mold, then more dye and more rotation, etc., until I get three pillars with multi-color.

For me, this is an after work time passer and if I sell a bunch every now and then it helps me feed the fun addiction.

Edited by EricofAZ

I keep my presto's full all the time... so thats I think 5# per presto.. and I pour from there. Votives I do 8 at a time, containers never less than two at a time.. I try to keep most items in stock but sometimes pour to order.

I use 1ozpp, generally. some FO's I need more.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I, too, keep my Presto pot full of wax (I think it holds around 7-8 pounds). Most batches are either 2-pound or a little over 3-pound batches (51 oz)mixed in my pouring pot, not the Presto. With a 2-pound batch I can get 5 jelly jars and with a 3-pound batch, 8 jelly jars. Anything over that in my pour pot usually involves spillage!