How many of you wear masks when pouring

I try to.....especially when I'm doing a LOT of pouring in one day.

I just wear one of those masks that are for "fumes".....Just the soft ones. Nothing fancy. I can still smell through it but it cuts down on some of the vapours. They are annoying though and I hate wearing them.

The only other ones available here are the ones that look like gas masks.

I pour with the garage door open usually. If the neighbours happened to see me with one of those on they might get a little alarmed.

LOL - I am a wimp! I wore no mask for many years and then I started experincing inhalation issues (dry cough, sinus issues) when doing cinnamon, spicy fragrances or fragrances with mint. I use a cannister respirator (bought at Lowes) when mixing lye water so I started wearing that for mixing the offending fragrances in large batches and it really helped - no more wheezing or sinus issues. That being said when I do less than a pot of wax I don't bother, only when I am doing more than a case.

When I first started candle-making I would wear a mask when I would add the FO to the melted soy wax. But gradually I stopped wearing the mask and found that it didn't affect me (that I could tell). So now I don't wear one but I have them handy if I'm not working with good ventilation.

When I first started making them I didn't wear a mask, now I always wear a one. When my Dr. found out I was making candles that was one of the first questions she asked me. She said the oils are chemicals and that I should be protecting my lungs.

I use a 3M P95. You can get them at any hardware store like home depot or lowes.

Been pouring candles the last two days and have been wheezing today. Maybe I need to think about a mask!

I've been doing some heavy-duty test burning the last few days and have had that same wheezy reaction. Finally put the testers out in an enclosed porch area. The pouring part didn't bother me but I guess I'll have to think about a mask now when lighting my candles :)

If I pour a lot, I will wear a painters mask, but just for a few jars, no mask.

However I usually have to pull the mask up to sniff the scented wax before pouring, one time I got a big wiff and got an instant headache. I think it was Twigs and Berries, woo too much!!

About two years ago when doing a fundraiser I was pouring about 4 cases of red hot cinnamon candles. Towards the end of the pour the top of hands, my face including my nose, wrists and forearms started to tingle and when I rubbed them to figure out why, they started to burn slightly - althought it's not the same tissue inside your throat and lungs as your "skin" that is all it took to convience me - what could be done to my outside skin could easily occur to the insides of me, now I wear a respirator, mask, gloves and long sleeves when I pour FO, especially those that are not skin safe! LOL

My husband does the pouring but I am down there wicking warning labels,labeling and other things. It does get to me.I do have problems with alot of chemicals and have for years but I seemed to be alright in the basement. A couple times we opened the windows and that helped some and sometimes it really got to both of us. Just recently it did us in. NOW I will NOT even be near candlemakeing and husband moved it outside(in our cargo trailer) away from the basement.The fumes came up through the vents and it was terrible. Husband said so too.Poured Creme Brulee'.

The other reason I am totalling away is I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a year ago.As one person said her doctor told her to wear one.Well my oncologist said it was fine making soy candles BUT do not eat soy.I told her we use fragrances and she seemed to think OK.BUT read up on it.Just a week ago when we got fumigated out of the house I went on line.It says even burning a candle can put off toxins and chemicals. With being diagnosed with Breast Cancer I just can't be around it.So I burning candles and making them. Bottem line. I have to think of my health.There is enough other chemicals we are subjected to going to the store, restaurants, and just driving. Fumes from exhaust and fumes from farmers spraying fields etc. Those are the times we can't get away from it and short term but for candlemakers it is long term.

Just be safe and wear a mask.I have the cancer gene now and I MUST stay away from candlemaking. I think it is a wise choice. Read up on candles and cancer etc.Anything you can pick up on. You must think about it. Things might be OK now but later down the road your lungs could be damaged bad or even lung cancer.A 31 year old mother of 3 is fighting it now.Never smoked or her family never smoked.She is in Stage 4. First diagnosed and it was that bad.

LynnS

I have thought of this issue- OFTEN. But, like the others I just thought about it. I even bought the masks. But, I hated wearing it....yep, felt lke I was being smothered! I now pour to the side and don't stand directly over the melted was while pouring. I pour for over 8 hours a day though. Some days, like with candy cane and cinnamon it really gets to me. I feel wheezy in my lungs. I always walk in the evenings, I swear by it, for people who pour for long periods of time. GET THAT FRESH ARE PUMPED IN YOUR LUNGS! Yep, I worry about the fumes....but I worry about everything giving me cancer. I can't give up candles though...I have heard from another post on here that people have poured for like 40 years and never had an issue. I guess some people can be affected and others not. Like smokers...some people smoke, like my dad for 60 years and nevr have an issue. Doesn't seem right.

I have a window fan that pulls the fumes out and keeps the house from smelling like a massive candle. It really helps my breathing and it only makes sense that you would have good ventilation wherever a concentrated chemical is being heated and giving off lots of fumes. I don't know about cancer and candles but a lot of my customers just open the lids and never light the candles, while others use a burner/melter. A recent doctor visit surprised me when the man said, "Anybody can find something wrong about anything but my experience is that most things aren't going to hurt you within reasonable practical use".

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pouring a large order and never thought I needed a mask or exhaust fan until now. Purchasing a good respirator and having an exhaust fan or hood installed asap. Looking back to last season, I came down with a bad case of bronchitis right around the busy season and the light bulb just went off that it was most likely related to pouring. It's just not worth taking the risk...