Golden Brands - 423 PB Soy Wax TEST'S

Just wanted to let everyone know and of course hopefully some others will chime in here on the new 423 from Golden Brands.

I started with 12oz of the 423 that was generously given to me by Alan at Makes Scents Candle Supply in Ohio. I took it up to about 160 degrees and added 1oz of Cinnamon Vanilla FO. Stirred it in for about 3 minutes with no heat.

I poured into room temperature tart molds....

hotpour.jpg

I waited patiently with a window cracked near the molds... This is taken almost exactly 20 minutes later.. You can see that some of them are already complete on top and a few of them are still waiting to dry.

tarts2.jpg

Another 20 minutes roll by... I picked up the one in the back left corner and to my surprise IT FELL OUT when I went to turn it over to cool the bottom!!! It was already cooled and released from the mold. Here are a few pics of the finished product you can see that they are very smooth!! I couldn't believe it.

smooth.jpg

Here is a stack of them hopefully you can tell that they are very smooth and to be really honest with you this was as easy as it ever could be. 40 minutes from pour to bag.... I think they have another great product here and the scent so far on the cold tarts is very good.

smooth2.jpg

Hopefully Jason will hop in here and let us know that this will be readily available to all the people that make tarts... I know that I am going back to Alan at Makes Scents and letting him know that he should definitely keep this stuff on hand.:bliss::thumbsup::rockon:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am melting one now..... keep in mind we did about 15lbs of cinnamon vanilla tonight so my nose is a little off. I can smell it sitting right here and in the next room but outside that I think I am smelling the candles drying in the kitchen.

Not sure if that helps....

Mark :-)

Hi,

Seeking suggestions for heat and pouring temps for the GW423 Pillar Blend. I'll be pouring a 3 x 4. Also, is this the blend I should use for votives? I have tested the 444CB and so far so good. One more question - maybe Jason will read this and be able to help - I need instrucitons/suggestions for the GB Waxes and Stearines. I only know that stearines are suppose to help the performance of a wax. Thanks everyone, Linda

Linda,

I heated to about 160 and pushed the scent right away and kept stirring for about 3 minutes. I poured almost immediately following that and had no problems at all. According to Jason the 423 is ok for votives but he hadn't tried it yet and as of this moment we don't make them. I would try some but don't have the equipment.

Hope that helps!

Mark

PS I am waiting on another sample to do some more testing with some heavier FO's and color this time... we will see if I can push it over the edge...

Hi,

Seeking suggestions for heat and pouring temps for the GW423 Pillar Blend. I'll be pouring a 3 x 4. Also, is this the blend I should use for votives? I have tested the 444CB and so far so good. One more question - maybe Jason will read this and be able to help - I need instrucitons/suggestions for the GB Waxes and Stearines. I only know that stearines are suppose to help the performance of a wax. Thanks everyone, Linda

Maybe try PM'ing or calling him. His email isn't very easy to get through :P

Tonight I poured tarts with GB 423. It couldn't be much easier like mbroom said earlier in her testing. From start to finish the tarts popped out after 50 minutes. I also poured some using Cargil C3 & V1. I used 75% C3 and 25% V1. I have not been happy with the fine circular crack using the blend but it does not affect the throw just the appearance. It's been 2 hours and they are not popping out yet..... I tested the GB423 with higher temperatures than mbroom with the same appearance results. With the GB423 I had no circular cracks and very smooth shiny bottoms. I heated the wax to 190, stirred in my FO (creamy vanilla 9%) at 180 for one minute and poured at 175. I love pouring hot! My room temperature was 72 degrees and humid. I have not yet burned it so I'll let you know of my results. At this time I'm very impressed with this wax.

I just poured the GB449 and it's now cooling. I will post those results later.

If the throw is good then I would switch as this process is so much easier and not having to combine waxes is a plus!!!!! I mainly pour tarts.

Jason, is there anyone in TX carrying this wax?

Hi,

Linda,

I have heard of a couple people having alot of luck pouring votives with the 423. I have been told it is best to pour at 175 and to fill the mold all the way to the top. I hope this helps.

Jason

My 449 test results so far:

Honeysuckle Jasmine: Heated to 175*; added yellow color flakes and 10% fragrance. Poured at 144*. It set up with a bit of roughness around the wick, but a very nice looking candle. The cold throw is GREAT! The hot throw; after only 12 hours cure time is also GREAT.

Decided to pour another fragrance at a higher pouring temperature 161* with Country Clothesline. Heated to 180*; added navy blue color flakes and 10% fragrance. It is setting up now, but already has a hole by the wick and is sinking. Next tester I am going to pour cooler than 144* and see what happens, since the higher pouring temp, 161*, gave me a worse top than the 144* pour temp.

I will keep you all posted. If I can get the 449 to pour with a smooth top, I am leaning towards this one since the cold and hot throw are GREAT and just what I am looking for. Also, no frost!

The 444 is also a good wax, but the cold and hot throw, in my opinion, is not as good as the 449. Hopefully, suppliers will carry both since there are so many different opinions on these two waxes.

Have a great day! santa wink

Update: I put the heat gun to a votive that cracked after it cooled and found a sink hole near the wick. So I tested another batch that I had added a small amount of stearic to and they were all just fine. :grin2: And actually all the others in the cracked one's batch were good, too. Wish I could remember if it was the first one I poured or the last one! :P I'm thinking it was the first one I poured of that batch, so maybe poured too hot?

edit to say I found more cracks in both batches.

These are votives I poured today. It is the GB423. It is 7% Cranberry FO, 7 drops of burgundy liquid dye, wax heated to 180, FO added at 165, poured at 160. These were all cooled in an ambient temp of about 75 degrees. All 4 poured cracked on the top, one of the 4 cracked all the way down the side. I am not good at pictures so bear with me.

Well the pictures were better before uploading....

picture 1 shows the votive that cracked completely down the side and the next to it cracked as well, but just on the top.

Picture 2 shows all 4 of them, the 3 that only cracked around the tops and the one that cracked all the way down the side. I would like to add that it cracked down the side on both sides of the votive.

Picture 3 shows the top cracking. These aren't that good, hard to see some of the cracks, crappy camera. But all of them cracked, 3 of them about an 1/8 to 1/4" down the sides, and one all the way down the sides. Have not removed them from the wick pins yet. May melt them down tomorrow and repour.

post-28-139458388681_thumb.jpg

post-28-139458388683_thumb.jpg

post-28-139458388684_thumb.jpg

are you all getting a good throw with this wax. I didn't ask for a sample of this cause I hardly ever make votives but if it has a good throw then I want to try some. And for a votive what size wick is working best? I use a LX12 with the ones made with container wax should I wick up with this wax?