New Paypal Holds?

Starr

(Not sure if this is the right spot for this... maybe Off Topic? Sorry to the mods if it needs to be moved.)

Has anyone gotten an email about Paypal putting all payments on some kind of 21 day hold? It's too late to call now (they've closed for the night, will be calling in the morning) but the email they sent me is telling me that this decision can be based on number of dispute claims, but I've only had 1 in the last year that was settled between the buyer and I so I can't imagine it's that. Or high risk businesses (like ticket sales), etc... stuff that I generally don't fall into and my account is well established, so I'm trying to figure out if I need to go chew someone out or if they've put out some wide-spread type of policy.

Anyone else have this? If so, how are you coping with it in regards to your transactions?

I didnt get any notice from them. You need to be careful with emails that sound outlandish from paypal b/c they could be scams from hackers. Although they look legit what happens is you sign into your account from the email you recieved and they end up with your information. I highly doubt they would put a hold on payments for 21 days b/c as a seller you wouldnt be able to send out packages till payment cleared and that just sounds crazy. I have to get to work so I dont have time to sign into my PP account and check the notices to see if it is true but if I were you I would definately contact them. If they say its a fraudulant email then check into changing your password just to be safe. Keep us posted.

I have gotten holds on payments that have come from people who have changed their addresses or emails. It can take up to 48 hours (I believe) for them to release the funds.

The first time I had it happen was when a good customer paid for their bill. It was about $800 worth of stuff. Paypal held the funds for 2 days. Then I found out that the customer changed their email and that is why they were holding the funds to make sure that it was a legitimate transaction.

And I never got an email about the hold. I found out when I logged into my account.

Edited by Lorrie

Paypal does still send emails to your registered email addy, HOWEVER, if the email you receive has a link in it, it's spam. Real Paypal emails tell you to go to the paypal site, log in, and look at the information. There's a blurb at the bottom, "Paypal will never ask you to sign in via an email,etc.".

I've not gotten an email from them, but signed in anyway after reading this and there's nothing in my notifications either, and I've had quite a few purchases lately where the customer used paypal, and all the money is there. No holds of any kind.

Interesting...every payment I receive thru Paypal comes to me as Notification of Payment Received in the subject, but the from line has the email address of the customer. Then the body of the email has the Paypal logo, etc., but tells me to log into my account to view details, with no link in the email:confused:. Been that way for a long time. Since paypal spam got really bad a few years back...:tiptoe:

Yes, be really cautious about emails that you think are paypal. I always go directly to the site with any questions $ clairfy it. If it is suspicious I forward that email to paypal per their request so they can investigate. I think it's (spoof@paypal.com) but double check that.

I get suspicious emails from UPS and never open them. I know if I have mailed a package or have one coming. It's really scary these days with email huh?

Thanks for the advice everyone but this was a legitimate Paypal email. Not only was it addressed properly but when I logged into my Paypal to check up on this, there was a notice on my main account screen referring to the email I received.

Calling them got pushed down a bit on my TO DO list. Doing it now...

More soon...

Okay... Paypal swears up and down that this has nothing to do with receiving 'other' payments, 'personal' stuff, etc... it's exclusive to ebay transactions. Would've been nice if they had put that in their nifty email.

*sigh*

Oh well.

• 1 month later...

Oh myyyy.. just when I was thinking of letting my usual credit card company go and sign up with PayPal for better rates.

Ouch..... so they're holding funds..... ummm.. what are they doing with them, collecting interest at the bank??

There's been alot of headache with this company for years... they might have just sealed their own coffin with this latest change.

Good luck....