Liquid Dye vs. Reddi-Glo Dye Chips

I would go with the liquid. I have both. Red is a very difficult color. Depending on what wax you are working with to get good, bright ,vivid reds you tend to use quite a bit of color. I notice with solid colorants it doesn't all dissolve and I get red flecks in the finished products. On the other hand with the red liquid there seems to be a chemical smell (at least to my nose) that used at a percentage for a dark red will over power some FO even the mac apple and baked apple pie

Edited by tlc26

We always wear cheap latex exam gloves. Our liquid red always seems to get all over our hands, and we can at least remove the gloves...or wait a couple of days and may handwashings/showers to make it fade from our skin.

We tried the chips, but liked the ability to control the variations on color through the use of liquid colorants.

I've been using color blocks. You can chop, chip, or shave off how much you want to use and weigh it so you can have exact color matches. I find it caused slightly less frosting but I don't know if it is because it has a parrafin base.

I've been using both but I am tending to color more with the chips because I get brighter more vibrant colors and a bit less fading or color changing on me. And yes I use UV inhibitor but colors can still change on you. With the chips I get less discoloration or color fade from doing lots of outdoor shows this time of year.

I use liquids mostly any more.

Chips aren't that inexpensive when you take a look at how much you might have to use to get a color ... think about black. There can be inconsistencies in getting that color.

Reds, thanks Tab. lol. I think liquids are best for that color also. It doesn't matter what chip or block, I can't get it completely dissolved.

But when it comes to wanting to make certain colors, the blocks and chips are easier to get than x-amount of drops + x-drop for me. I just wish someone would make a good turquoise ha.

Still kind of on topic. Where is the best location to get good liquid dyes? I like Peaks but I'm always looking for something new or better. Also how about "different" types of 'colorants' like the pigment chips at Peaks that are blacklight sensitive?

I've found these suppliers have VERY concentrated liquid dyes: Aroma Haven, Lone Star, Just By Nature and Candle Science.

Just remember the pigment dye chips do not melt in the wax, they are suspended particles and they can and will clog your wick if you use too much. I personally stay away from them.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm leaning towards buying the chips because they're brighter and cheaper, but which is better? I'm buying from Peaks.

I started with the blocks, but quickly shifted to liquid. It is cheaper per pound of wax dyed. Also, look around for those cheap disposable droppers. It seems like the ones that come with the liquid dye are really tough to get carefully measured (drop in like 5 drops instead of 3). They are incredibly cheap too, and I reuse them over and over until they clog.

Chris