KY tart wax problems!

countyline

I am fully expecting to get tomatoes thrown at me here, but I am not sure I am in love with this wax. I bought 30 lbs of it (oops) based upon all the stellar reviews here and have made tons of tarts with it.

So....is it just me or does this not have the best cold throw in the world? I was comparing a Mac Apple (CS) tart made in both KY wax and my previous blend of 4794/415 and my blend was noticeably stronger AND I used less oil in that batch than in the KY. I am also not blown away by the hot throw. It has just been okay for me. Is there some trick to the temp to add FO with this wax? My usual method is to add it at about 175. I must be doing SOMETHING wrong, based on CT reviews! Please Help! :(

Wow..so sorry you're not happy with this wax. Although I must say it's the only wax for tarts I've ever used so I don't have anything else to compare it to. I heat to 165..add color...add FO at 155-160 and pour at 145. It does have soy in it and I also add an extra 25% container soy to my mix. I let my tarts cure 48 hours before testing since I do add add'l soy. Most my FO's work well. Have had a few that were not strong, but not many. I use FO's from Aroma Haven, Nature's Garden, KY, and Candlescience. I use between 1.3-1.5 oz/lb. I know many think using anything over an ounce is wasteful, but, this is what works for me and my customers.

Try letting them cure a couple of days and see if that doesn't help. Best of luck.

Karen

I have let them cure. The Mac Apple I was referring to is at least a month old. :( I didn't say, but I use 1.5-2 oz :shocked2: FO per lb. in my melts. I use Candle Science, Mill Creek, KY, Lonestar, ICS and BC for scents. They seem to have a weaker cold throw pretty much across the board. Also, I added the FO at the same temp with my previous wax blend, so I'm really stumped. Just the same, I will trying adding it at 160 next time and see if that makes any difference. I can't believe I am the only one that can't make this wax work. I thought I would have the best tarts on the planet with this wax and the FO load I use. Hmpff.

Countyline, I feel the same. Yes, it is all right, but I was expecting much better CT and HT. I heat it to approx. 175, turn off the heat (I use a Presto pot), add between 1 and 1.5oz. FO pp, stir for a full minute and pour. I let it cure anywhere between 2 and 10 days; again, I'm not that impressed, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I get better results with the GB 415 and much better results with the CBL 129.

Maybe someone more experienced will chime in and tell us if we're doing something wrong (well, I hope so, 'cause I bought 50lbs of the KY parasoy for tarts... :sad2:)

I've been using this wax for 2+ years...here's the trick: leave your house/shop and take some of the tarts with you. Go to a friend's house and then smell the CT and HT. You will be amazed at how strong it is :) Seriously, it's to the point where I can't smell a thing anymore until I leave the house and smell them somewhere else.

I don't honestly think the temperature is where your problem lies....could it be that perhaps your expectations were pretty high and that you're like me and don't like change so you've convinced yourself that the wax sucks? :P I did that with 6006...made myself hate it because I didn't want to change waxes, but my supplier at the time was about to quit selling my fave (ended up not have to switch...she kept my wax)

I dunno...just thinkin' of alternate possibilities here....

Is IS true that I had very high expectations and entirely possible my nose is immune (I've been doing this for almost six years.) I actually did want to change waxes, though. It is so nice to just scoop out what I need, rather than having to go hammer a slab every time I want to make candles. I had kind of felt the cold throw was unimpressive, but didn't think a lot of it, assuming it was my candle nose, but when I smelled those two side by side, I figured that wasn't it since I COULD smell one of them, ya' know? What really stinks, is I ran out of wax a few days ago and have 30 more pounds on the way! I guess I better figure it out! I did add about 10% 415 to some of the batches, just to use up what I had. I may bump it up to 20% and see what happens. Thanks, all for your help. Ravens, It's good to know there is at least one other person out there who doesn't know if this wax is the HG! :)

• 2 months later...

So now that some time has passed, how is the ky working out for you? Are you still mixing it will 415, are you still having problems? Or are you loving it-like many, many other users? I am considering it, however-what works for everyone else doesn't always work for me. I have tried many types of waxes it is really hard to switch to new ones. Please let me know where you are with your wax situation. Thanks:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried this wax tonight. I used 1oz FO pp, and followed the pouring temp. directions stated on the box. I am assuming that the tarts will need to cure since they smell like absolutely nothing! We shall see what happens. Do you guys think they just need to cure? How long do you usually cure yours?

I just tried this wax tonight. I used 1oz FO pp, and followed the pouring temp. directions stated on the box. I am assuming that the tarts will need to cure since they smell like absolutely nothing! We shall see what happens. Do you guys think they just need to cure? How long do you usually cure yours?

I keep a decent inventory on our tarts, but occasionally, I will have to pour them when someone places an order. I'll ship them out the next day and I still get rave reviews from customers.

I pour mine in the foil liners and have noticed that with some fo's I can't smell anything on that top layer....but when I peel back the liner just a teeny bit, WOW! The same is true if I just bag them up in 3x3 bags and then come back and open the bag to sniff them in an hour or so....the scent is good and strong.

Maybe the tarts just don't like sitting there "naked" -- put some clothes on them and then go back to smell their wonderful aroma in an hour or so :)

Thanks for the advise. I put them into the ellipso cups and the FO I used was Rain from LoneStar. I am not too fond of it, but the hubby said he really likes it (hopefully, he isn't trying to save my feelings by saying that he can smell it, and he likes it). Maybe it is just not a strong FO, and I only used 1 oz...today it smells barely, whereas yesterday it smelled like wax. Hmm...

*hope I didn't hijack this...but I am thinking this would be good for y'all to read about as well. :)

I also find that my blend has a much better CT & HT and my tarts last much longer . .The KY parasoy is easy to work with, but when I tested I got little to my expectations. My testers also noticed a difference. SO I blend KY 143 with my parasoy candle blend and it works better for me.

Sorry, I didn't see the new post to this thread. I'm still using the KY with 25% soy, mostly because I still have it, but I'm still not sold. I think I may try adding some J223 I have on hand instead of the soy and see if that helps. I REALLY like the ease of use and not having to break or scoop wax, but I'm not convinced it is a better wax. I know I'm in the minority here!

Another factor: I have been using 24 watt warmers whereas my old ones were only 14 watts. I think this has a lot to do with why my fragrance burns off so fast. I use 2 oz fo per lb. :shocked2: I am usually happier with the tests I do in the 14w warmers. Still strong enough, but lasts much longer....now what to do with this case of 24w warmers! Does anyone else have a problem with this? How long do your tarts last? I KNOW that is a whole other can of worms!! :tiptoe:

I'm using KY with 25% 464, 1.5 oz FO pp and get about 20 hours of scent time per 2 clamshell cubes on the 14 watt Jackel warmers (which sold well for me at a show this weekend).

I used 2 cubes of KY's Apple Pie at work yesterday for 10 hours and have had it going in the bedroom since 8 this morning. It is 4 pm here now and it is still throwing well. The bedroom is large and my 2 senior cats live there and let me and DH share it with them. :D

So I am happy with the scent throw time I am getting.

FYI- Chestnuts & Brown Sugar from JS is killer strong in KY Tart wax.