Hello all new to site.

Thanks Breanna for the welcome...I live in southeastern Minnesota with my husband, 3 cats and 3 horses. I started making candles a few months ago as a creative outlet and possible small business in the future. I have learned a lot since finding this board. Everyone here is so helpful. :smiley2:

Hello all:

I am also new to the site. My name is Daira (pronounced DIE-ra). I used to design web sites for 9 years and provided web hosting and domain name services for 2 years (so if you have any computer or web related questions, I'd be happy to help out). I currently work in tech support and am almost finished with my Master's in Manangement Information Systems.

Anyway, I have been reading about candlemaking recently. A coworker's office smelled great and discovered that she was using an Er'go soy candle called Papaya. I had bought candles in the past, but could not stand the smell or it would make me cough/sneeze/get headaches. But with this candle, it didn't! This led me to investigate and learn more about candles and candle making. I find this craft interesting and it looks like fun! :grin2: I have never made a candle before, but I look forward to learning more about it.

There is SO much information online, that it's tricky to start out. I even went to a book store and read about candle making there too. If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to begin, and what "proper" and/or best tools that are needed, that would be great.

Is candlemaking something I can do in my apartment or would I need a shed or warehouse to do? Just wondering, thanks! :)

I would like to make candles for myself (and possibly for a small side income in the future) if I can do it right. I am interested in making 100% soy wax candles, if possible, because paraffin or regular candles give me allergy symptoms. :)

Welcome to the board newbies!

Barrel, I'd suggest posting an ISO (In search of) thread on the classified ads stating that your looking for a wholesale account for tea-lights. Quite a few people here make tea-lights.

For those that are looking to make candles, I'd suggest reading the tips threads at the top of the first page, and the archives. There's a lot more to candle making than most people realize when they first get started. It's also gets to be much more expensive than you'd think, so you'll want to know what your getting into before starting. Then when you decide to make the plunge you need to decide what kind of candles you want to make, votives, containers, or pillars. Once you decide that, I'd suggest starting with a starter kit. It's much cheaper than purchasing everything seperatly, and a great way to "get your feet wet." Let me warn you, once you pour and burn your own creation, you'll be hooked. Then you'll need TONS of fragrances, and every color available. Then you'll look in the gallary and want to try to make everything you see. If you start with containers, your gonna end up wanting to make pillars and vice versa. Then you'll want to start making soap and other B&B products. LOL It's a long chain reaction. You all can't say you weren't warned! Have fun and say good bye to all your "disposable income".:P:yay:

Which is recommended for a newbie, votive or tealight? I am assuming tealights are the smallest ones...I want to make something small to try things out first. Are tealights the same as (or similar in size) the candles I've seen in the small little tin cans?

Thanks Tallbabydoll for the tips thread and archive referral.

Howdy and welcome to the board, to all of the newbies :)

cryptic, for starting, I'd suggest votives. Not that there's anything wrong with tea lights, but often they're unscented, little creativity involved and more often than not they're used with something else. Hmm, not sure I explained that right. I guess you could do chunky or mottled tea lights, but they're just rather boring, IMO. A starter kit is a good way to go. You get all the supplies needed, though adding a couple wick pins will make it much easier.

cryptic, I'm with Satin, I would not start with tea-lights. Many suggest starting with votives. They are small, with the least amount of testing involved. Generally speaking, once you find the right wick for your formula, it will work with most if not all of your fos (fragrance oils). Some fos are heavier and might require a slightly larger wick, but in most cases the same wick will burn all your votives, once you find that perfect wick. As Satin stated tea lights are pretty boring, and don't last very long. They aren't typically used as a sole scenting source, they're just to small to do the job, and only last a few hours. Plus I don't think they have starter kits for them. Just so you know, they are those little tiny candles that are about an inch in diameter and maybe half an inch high, in a small tin, plastic or glass cup. They are generally used in tart burners or in decorations.

YOu could also make tarts, melts, or wickless candles. None of these require wicking. Tarts and melts are wax poured into a mold, then popped out and placed in the top of a tart burner to melt. Burners are available in electric or you burn a tea light under the bowl. Wickless candles are generally wax poured in a seamless tin or heat resistant glass container and they are placed on a candle warmer, which melt the wax. This is just a brief discription. HTH