Hello all new to site.

cryptic, I'm with Satin, I would not start with tea-lights. Many suggest starting with votives. They are small, with the least amount of testing involved. Generally speaking, once you find the right wick for your formula, it will work with most if not all of your fos (fragrance oils). Some fos are heavier and might require a slightly larger wick, but in most cases the same wick will burn all your votives, once you find that perfect wick. As Satin stated tea lights are pretty boring, and don't last very long. They aren't typically used as a sole scenting source, they're just to small to do the job, and only last a few hours. Plus I don't think they have starter kits for them.

Thanks Tallbabydoll and Satin...two questions:

1) If I use votives, would that mean I would need to experiment with molds? Can I start with somthing "simpler" by using small jars so I can just pour the wax and go? I'm just trying to spend the least amount of money on my mistakes and experiments just to start off. After I get the hang of it, I'll get bolder ;)

2) I am interested in making 100% soy wax candles. Do you know of any starter kits for this type of wax? Regular or commercial candles that I've bought in the past give me allergy symptoms including headaches - I'm assuming it's the paraffin or other chemicals in the candle when they burn.

3) Where could I begin in acquiring the tools needed for votives? I am just estatic about creating my own candles where I don't have to deal with the "dirty" air and I can enjoy having candles around me at last. Thank you very much for the help. :D

I'll give you a few answers. :smiley2:

Thanks Tallbabydoll and Satin...two questions:

1) If I use votives, would that mean I would need to experiment with molds? Can I start with somthing "simpler" by using small jars so I can just pour the wax and go? I'm just trying to spend the least amount of money on my mistakes and experiments just to start off. After I get the hang of it, I'll get bolder ;)

No, you can use the 3 oz dixie bathroom cup. Just put them on a cookie sheet to make sure they don't leak. They are not always sealed on the bottom. Don't use a glass jar, you will never get it out of the container.

2) I am interested in making 100% soy wax candles. Do you know of any starter kits for this type of wax? Regular or commercial candles that I've bought in the past give me allergy symptoms including headaches - I'm assuming it's the paraffin or other chemicals in the candle when they burn.

Millcreek has a fantastic starter kit. Its 22.00- great price.

http://www.mcsoywax.com/candlekits.htm

Paraffin doesn't cause allergies. It must be some property in the burning process that is causing you symptoms.

3) Where could I begin in acquiring the tools needed for votives? I am just estatic about creating my own candles where I don't have to deal with the "dirty" air and I can enjoy having candles around me at last. Thank you very much for the help. :D

Anything that burns will cause "dirty air"~ don't feed in to the misconception that soy candles do not produce soot or carcinogens. Its nothing but fluff and nonsense. I make soy candles and that is one of the things that I refuse to use as a marketing "tool" or "ploy" whatever have you.

Peak has a nice starter kit. If you interested in doing some soy votives I highly recommend reading the Veggie Section of this board throughly. I don't believe Peaks kit comes in soy. You can get a really easy to work with Pillar/Votive Blend wax from KY Candle Supply for about 12.00 + shipping.

http://www.kycandlewaxsupply.com/wax.htm

Always check the classifieds, something you might want could be in there and save you a few bucks.

Don't use a glass jar, you will never get it out of the container.

Hehe, wasn't going to use the jars to try to take them out...just wanted to pour in a jar and leave it in there, hehe. ;)

Millcreek has a fantastic starter kit. Its 22.00- great price.

http://www.mcsoywax.com/candlekits.htm

Paraffin doesn't cause allergies. It must be some property in the burning process that is causing you symptoms.

Thanks for the link, that is a good kit! Yes, it is something in the burning process...I made sure to state that I get these issues when the paraffin candles are burning.

Anything that burns will cause "dirty air"~ don't feed in to the misconception that soy candles do not produce soot or carcinogens. Its nothing but fluff and nonsense. I make soy candles and that is one of the things that I refuse to use as a marketing "tool" or "ploy" whatever have you.

Understood; just to clarify, I just wrote "dirty air" meaning whatever chemicals that are in the air after a regular candle is burnt. I understand soy candles may produce soot or other stuff, but with the soy candles, I have zero allergy symptoms.

Always check the classifieds, something you might want could be in there and save you a few bucks.

Awesome! Thanks for links, advice, and for replying! :)

Welcome to the board newbies!

You all can't say you weren't warned! Have fun and say good bye to all your "disposable income".:P:yay:

Yes heed that warning! hehehehe i save every extra penny every month that isnt needed elsewhere and use it for whatever new thingie i seem to find. My husband says I'm nuts! LOL