Lye Online?

PattyZB

I'm having trouble finding lye again. I'm going to stop at the Tractor Supply Store I found it at last time. It's out of the way (45 minutes away), but I'll be in the area tomorrow so it's not too bad. I'm curious as to where most people get theirs from. Do you find it online? Where's the best place? Do you find it in a local store? I've checked ALL of my local Home Depots and Lowes - nada.

If you guys skip the middle man you can get your lye so much cheaper. Just go to a chemical supply place in your area. I have one I go to that sells 50lb for about $68. That's $1.36 for a lb. I didn't pay shipping or tax.

It doesn't seem like you'll use that much but you'd be surprised how fast it goes.

I was curious,...do some of you not have a Lowe's or Menards? Thats where I get mine locally.

Even with shipping, it's more cost effective to buy it online than in those small containers at Lowes...if your Lowes sells it. I've never had the desire to try that Rooto brand or whatever it is, so I'm not even sure if my Lowes carries it.

Even with shipping, it's more cost effective to buy it online than in those small containers at Lowes...if your Lowes sells it. I've never had the desire to try that Rooto brand or whatever it is, so I'm not even sure if my Lowes carries it.

The one that I got from Menards is Red Devil. And it was more exspensive in those little containers.:(

I buy mine from the lye guy and get it real quick. We talked to our Lowe's way back and was told they are not allowed to sell it any more because it is used to make meth. I bought one large container somewhere else and it was a pain to work with. I like the canisters that the lye guy uses.