Orange anything that's good

RWV

I've stopped carrying any type of orange scents because, with the exception of the orange chiffon cake from Ky, they all had a fuel smell when burning. I even added coconut cream pie or vanilla to tone down the butane smell, but still there it was there. Is there an orange/vanilla or orange combo out there that any of you have had luck with--strong and no fuel smell? My absolute favorite smell was the Trapp orange vanilla, but I've tried a few dupes of that one, too, and either it's not strong enough or there's that dreaded fuel smell. Thanks everyone--you guys are great!:thumbsup:

Try Genwax's Juicy Bits of Orange and Orange Vanilla, both are great in just about any wax. It's the only straight orange I've used for years, as I get no fuel smell, and it's a great mixer! I personally have never tried Trapp's orange vanilla, but one of my customers says Genwax's is pretty darn close. :cool2:

Try Genwax's Juicy Bits of Orange and Orange Vanilla, both are great in just about any wax. It's the only straight orange I've used for years, as I get no fuel smell, and it's a great mixer! I personally have never tried Trapp's orange vanilla, but one of my customers says Genwax's is pretty darn close. :cool2:

I have been using GenWax's Juicy Bits for years, thanks to Chris, and have never smelled the dreaded fuel smell. Never tried their Orange Vanilla but will the next time I order. Thanks. Right now I use NG's Dreamsickle, GW's Juicy Bits and a vanilla for my creamsicle.

I think once you start pouring candles the oranges all smell like fuel. I have tried almost everything out there. I now use Millcreeks Sweet Orange and Chili Pepper. It is a true orange, no pepper smell. It rocks. I can still smell a little fuel, but none of my customers can. I sell out on this scent all the time. Try it. You can add vanilla or buttery vanilla to it and it is awesome too. You won't regret this one. Hope this helps. Just order 32 oz. of it.

There was an article on another site several years ago that explained the fuel smell of citrus. I can't remember the details only that some people pick up on it and others don't. The article explained why. I happen to be one of those people that detect strong fuel smell from anything citrus. Just like you I have tried many FO's and tried my own citrus/vanilla combos with no luck. The same article explained the urine odor some people detect with jasmine scents. I love jasmine and never pick up on the a urine type odor. Strange since I can't stand the smell of citrus FO's in most candles. I did love that one from Trapp and it didn't have a fuel smell. Wonder what was different about their FO?

• 7 months later...

You know I picked up on a fuel smell with SOCP from MC. I just poured some the ther night with a little less FO and added a very small amount of vanilla to see if that tones it down.

Those that use this FO and do well with it and like it...how much % of FO are you putting per pound? I use 6006 with extra soy. I am wondering if wax choice has anything to do with the fuel smell or not? I know it affects the scent throw of course.

Now I am wodering if that article is true and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Edited by aviator girl

You know I picked up on a fuel smell with SOCP from MC. I just poured some the ther night with a little less FO and added a very small amount of vanilla to see if that tones it down.

Those that use this FO and do well with it and like it...how much % of FO are you putting per pound? I use 6006 with extra soy. I am wondering if wax choice has anything to do with the fuel smell or not? I know it affects the scent throw of course.

Now I am wodering if that article is true and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

I think so, because Jasmine always smells like pee to me... but everyone else seems to love it. I made a batch of Jasmine Gardenia Beer soap and I cant stand the smell, but its been a best seller! I dont really know how to explain that one.

i think i have a very sensitive nose to fuel smell too...

i have used mulberry fo...that others say do good in the same soy i use, with no fuel smell...and it just explodes in my nose...fuel fuel fuel..

i still on my quest for a good mulberry...:smiley2:

and i also lov lov Trapps orange vanilla...i would lov to find one like it..it is just outstanding..

the only orange i have found that i really like too...it ICS Orange Chiffon Cake..

I think so, because Jasmine always smells like pee to me...
I am so GLAD to hear someone else say this! I come from jasmine country and have only found one jasmine mix that was even close to what the night air smells like when the jasmine's in bloom!! And the other stuff DOES smell like PEE!!

Have y'all tried neroli? It's the from the blossoms of the bitter orange, very sweet, more reminiscent of orange blossoms than actual orange fruit... has a spicier fragrance than just floral, though - east Indian, middle eastern or oriental. I LOVE it - very strong. It mixes well with lots of other fragrances like vanilla, patchouli, nag champa, rain, sandlewood, amber... I've used it from JBN and SOS and loved both! :D

Edited by Stella1952

This is so funny how people pick up on certain things. I just decided to light the NG orange sherbet that I poured and right away I smelled the fuel smell on that one too. It gave me a headache and I had to blow it out.

I do usually test on the high end and then back down after the first tester. So I am going to try a couple of these at 1 oz per pound instead of 1.5 oz per pound and see if that works. I really like the CT on the SOCP a lot.:D

Carrie I'll have to try it at 1 oz per pound since you use the exact same wax combo that I do. I actually think I got that tip from you and bugtussle.

Have y'all tried neroli? It's the from the blossoms of the bitter orange, very sweet, more reminiscent of orange blossoms than actual orange fruit... has a spicier fragrance than just floral, though - east Indian, middle eastern or oriental. I LOVE it - very strong. It mixes well with lots of other fragrances like vanilla, patchouli, nag champa, rain, sandlewood, amber... I've used it from JBN and SOS and loved both! :D

Stella I just got a free sample of Neroli form Bramble Berry. I haven't put it in was yet though.

and i also lov lov Trapps orange vanilla...i would lov to find one like it..it is just outstanding..

the only orange i have found that i really like too...it ICS Orange Chiffon Cake..

8-Gran-Ones I read on this board that Taylored Concepts has a trapp orange vanilla dupe. Haven't tried it myself but if you ever order from there you might try a sample of it.

Edited by aviator girl