Jello mold candle

Pam W

...I prefer to call it Starburst :D This is the 2nd pouring in the mold I found at an antique store. The 1st was a dark color, looked good but no glow other than the wick so I decided to go to a lighter color and what a difference....now the whole candle glows. Still working on the wicking to get just the right size melt pool but it's almost there :P

post-450-139458376169_thumb.jpg

Used Yaley's Premium Parafin, no additives & no FO, just a little gold color. Thought I'd test wicks for the appropriately shaped melt pool before I moved on to FOs. Considering trying to make a hurricane type candle cause there is no way to wick big enough to get a full melt pool at the top and not get a blow out as the wick burns down toward the narrower bottom.

This is turning out to be a really good experience. I'm getting to learn the burn properties of lots of different types of wicks. :)

The mold is chrome and the wax sets up faster than my alum. molds. (and I set it in a bowl of water cause I have no patience). Doesn't sink in the middle as much as other molds either. Did a cold-pour cause I don't know how chrome reacts to heat. The darned mold isn't round but a little oblong & really hard to get the wick in just the right spot. The bottom of the mold is 4" w/the top being 7". I'm trying to get a 3" melt pool so that it doesn't blow out on the way down, and I raised the wick tab 1/2" off the bottom. There will be a lot of tunnelling but absolutely cannot have any blow outs cause this candle is for the restaurant project I'm working on. Hurricane may be the way to go.

The first testing I used 3 wicks but the melt pool did not complement the odd shape, 4 wicks created a rectangle mp. The wick burning in the pic was a C75 & gave only a 2 1/2" mp so now I've put in a C85 to test. Tried a couple different Zs but the flames wanted to flood out. Thought about trying HTPs but don't want the curl. So far the CC wicks give me the nicest flame.

Burned it for 5 hrs last night and it lit up the whole room which made me really happy...on with the testing.

Love the mold, & the candle. I was thinking about going that way too, but then I read on the old board something about problems w/ copper molds, which I think may be more prevalent in the "olden" days. Dang, wish I could remember what was said.

Hey Alan, is it just my imagination or am I correctly recalling that there was some issues w/ copper? Are there any metal types that we ought to avoid in combo w/ wax?

Good to know Chrome is working out well!

Well the Chrome has worked well so far..it didn't soak up any dye. (Don't know what long term use might do to the chrome plating) Had FO in the 1st pour that I used for wick testing -- I melted down a couple candles that had been exposed to the AZ heat & distorted. They were very lightly scented but weird to say, the candle re-poured in the jello mold smells twice as strong as it originally did - or maybe I've just been sniffing too much FO. :P