Lost creativity

I think I've lost it.. creativity, inspiration, whatever ya call it. I haven't hardly made any candles since last fall. I had managed to burn out some of the wiring out in the garage/shop. We finally got more breakers put in and it was rewired. Then this winter it was unbearably cold and I couldn't stand to be out there. Now that it's almost ready again (still have some boxes and supplies to move around for walking space) I don't know what to do. Usually it just pops into my head to try this or that. I'm so totally blank. :(

How do you get your inspiration?

Personally, I've gotten a lot of inspiration from YOU! I love your seashell hurricanes and have yet to get up the nerve to try making one even though I've bought the supplies.

People like me need you!:D

Yeah, start piddling around to get ready to do a class :D

Hey welcome back!

OK I piddle around, but I piddle around with enough different things that just get me back to doing something. Sometimes I go where there are candles (Pier One, maybe a Target or just surf online) and try to think about how did they do this and that sometimes helps to get the creativity back.

Otherwise, just melt some wax and prep everything as if you were going to do something and maybe you won't turn everything off to cool down.

I think Scented's idea of melting some wax and seeing where it takes you is a good one. Last night I very much didn't want to pour a candle since I had poured until 11-12 for the last 3 nights (and then got up at 6 to go to work), but I had 6 more candles that I had promised to deliver today.

As soon as I started mixing that first scent, I got really back into the mood and ended up working in there about 3 hours--sometimes you just have to force yourself to start and then fall back in love with it again!

Good luck--let us know how you progress.

Jane

It happened to me too this year in January after the fall and winter rush of last year. I am just now pulling out of it a bit. Complete burnout, lack of motivation, and passion and inspiration have decreased. Without getting into all the details, I had the worst burnout I have ever had with my business. Even though I still like my products for the most part, I am sick of my own candles. Kind of like when you get sick of your own cooking and want to eat someone else's cooking. I don't really enjoy fragrances quite like I used to because it means work, and I smell them all the time. I want to create new things but my motivation is lacking. As you know, it is a lot of work even though there is joy in being creative.

I had to sit back and evaluate my business and look and the negatives and the positives and calculate some of the business errors I have made and hope to not repeat. I have not worked the business hard at all since January, but I have stayed busy enough for my lack of motivation. I think each of us can get burnout from different causes. What has helped me a bit, is taking time to evaluate the business (finance) part of it and to organize my shop and paperwork. This has helped me gain some motivation. It is kind of like when you have a messy house because you are too busy to clean it well and it just nags and nags and pulls you down - monkey on the back.

Even though it costs money, it helps me to do something new. It also helps me when a customer calls and asks me to do a candle party. Even though I dread the thought of long hours again, it does feel good when someone reminds you that they want your stuff and even wants to give a party without being asked.

I am still trying to find what else can remotivate me. I just bought a book called Get Motivated by Tamara Lowe. Everyone has a different Motivational DNA makeup. It is a really interesting book. It helps us recognize what drives us the most and how to motivate others. Even though we can fall into all the categories to a certain extent, there are the main Motivational DNA types that dominate us. Great book! I do know that I am a connector even though I am very independent and do not mind being alone and doing things along. I get motivation by connecting with others. I guess that is why I am one to communicate on community boards.

I look forward to reading more of what others here suggest. Good luck and hope you get your motivation back! :)

Yeah, start piddling around to get ready to do a class :D

Hey welcome back!

OK I piddle around, but I piddle around with enough different things that just get me back to doing something. Sometimes I go where there are candles (Pier One, maybe a Target or just surf online) and try to think about how did they do this and that sometimes helps to get the creativity back.

Otherwise, just melt some wax and prep everything as if you were going to do something and maybe you won't turn everything off to cool down.

Ditto! :)

I am pouring candles to pay for my other projects - cp soap and Whipped Frostings. I don't mind pouring candles but I hate everything else that goes with it, making sure have enough FOs, checking wicks, etc from suppliers who I don't trust anymore. Did 2 fundraisers end of Apr-May and my heart was not in it.

Sales are slow so will work on B&B this summer. I will always make candles for myself and a few, but I really have a problem wholesaling. ???? Carole

Thanks for the welcome back. It's nice to know I'm not completely forgotten. :)

Ya'll have some great ideas! The shows/parties thing... well, ya see... I've never done one to begin with...LOL. I'm still VERY small time here. Mostly just special orders and the ones that stack up around here from just doing whatever I feel like. To make it short, I work 12 hr shift Fri - Sun. Shows and fairs and things are always on the weekend which leaves me out. Parties are a possibility except that I'm terrified of groups of strangers or even speaking in front of people I do know...LOL. That's something I'll have to work on. :(

Melting the wax doesn't work. I've had the turkey fryer melted and ready a few times and just couldn't get going. Maybe pulling out some of my favorite FO's will help nudge me. I'll try that Monday.

I have one pillar I've been working on for three weeks! :laugh2: Tries a rustic draped layer.. it stuck to the mold bad. Tried twice to put it back in, heat it up and smooth out the outside..both time I missed a couple places and left rough holes...lol. Then I tried to crackle it, which I've never tied before. That really didn't go well and the candle shrunk quite a bit :rolleyes2 LOL. Today I finally chunked the darn thing and hopefully I can be done with it now.

I also have 2 memorial hurricanes waiting to be made and a gal from work wanting 2 or 3 pillars when I "get back in gear" as she says.

Luci, thanks for the compliment but you're probably thinking of Sharyl or Donita. I do make some hurricanes but nothing as spectacular as theirs. I know what you mean though. I've always gotten a lot of inspiration from here. Sometimes the BS and mud slinging just get to be too much, whether you're involved or an innocent bystander. I'll take a stroll through the gallery and that should get the juices going some. There's always so much beautiful stuff posted :shocked2:

Ahem, Scented... I completely forgot about that, I'm sorry! I did get all the pictures taken for an embedded pillar but I don't think they turned out too well trying to do it by myself...lol. Someone has probably already done a class on that by now anyway. If I can get motivated maybe I give it another shot a little later on.

Maybe I just need a swift kick in the rear...LOL

I know just how you feel. I have stuff sitting around and people wanting to know what's the deal? It just needs to sit there awhile and let me think about it real hard or not. File my monthly tax statements for zero sales and pay out money for license and other junk. I lost a couple of grand this year (which really helps my tax situation) and it seems like everybody wants the fo that didn't get poured. Same old same old.....sigh. Headed to the beach folks, I don't need this kind of treatment. Good luck to all the newbies and appreciate the fact that all of this is so brand new and awesome. It's a lot better than knitting...I think.

I do greatly admire both Sharyl's and Donita's work. I love my tidepool candle that I got from Donita, but you make an awesome tidepool candle as well. I never got the gumption up to try making one. Don't underestimate yourself cause I've been eyeballing that seashell hurricane of yours for a while now. Don't be surprised if you get an order for that one.

I can relate to having the turkey fryer ready because I have turned mine one a few times, but ended up going and turning it off for lack to motivation.

I think what got me going again was a friend who had a friend who had been at her baby shower and wanted some of the same party favors I had made for her shower. I HATE making those lil 1.5 oz jars but boy do they go over well with a good scent and cute label for a baby shower. While I was doing the order for the shower, and while I had the fryer fired up, I poured a few things just for myself, to burn in my own house. That is what did it! The next day I started out by rearranging things in the work room to organize it better and let the fryer heat up, and just started pouring things, yet again, that I wanted to melt or burn in my own house. Sure enough, had a little get together a few weeks later, had friends comment on the scents and wanted to know if I would make such and such for them. That turned into even more orders for gifts and me experiementing with new ideas and products. I'm still organizing and redoing my whole website and going a whole different direction that I had done in the past, but I am re-excited about it all!

Welcome back and hope you find your motivation :yay:

If you pour, I'll pour - there's your challenge :P I have not poured a single thing (candles, melts, even aroma beads for heaven's sake) since I started my job in insurance a year and a half ago next month! I'm reallllly itching to, but there have been a lot of things going on w/the family which have deterred me, along with never ending classes and exams for work. BUT, if you do it, I'll do it :) (Um, provided it's after June 11 when my next big exam is scheduled):rolleyes2

Ya'll have some great ideas! The shows/parties thing... well, ya see... I've never done one to begin with...LOL. I'm still VERY small time here. Mostly just special orders and the ones that stack up around here from just doing whatever I feel like. To make it short, I work 12 hr shift Fri - Sun. Shows and fairs and things are always on the weekend which leaves me out. Parties are a possibility except that I'm terrified of groups of strangers or even speaking in front of people I do know...LOL. That's something I'll have to work on. :(

I don't like talking to crowds either. So I don't, lol. I have an "Open House" at my house and invite everyone I know (that I trust to have in my home). I make a ton of candles and get everything ready. Then set up in my dining room/living room. People are invited to come and go, shop and visit as they please during a 3 hour specified time. Sometimes people will bring a friend. No spiel, no games. Very casual. It's nice to see people and visit, and they come to buy. Any leftover candles I keep as "stock." People then know what I have and can buy more at a later time. It's a lot of work, but actually fun! Set a date for an open house and it will motivate you knowing people will be coming over.

Must be something in the air. I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm to do anything but mostly its due to the recession. Money is so tight, my job will be gone next month and all I have time for is looking for work and worrying about bills.

Fortunately I have a weekly Farmers Market so I have an outlet to make and sell my soap and candles. If it weren't for that I would be sooooo depressed.

Hope you find your inspiration soon. Do you have a nice park or drive nearby? I live near Skyline Drive in Virginia and sometimes for inpiration I take a day trip and lots of snapshots. Stop at the gift shop to sniff candles and buy local apple candy and maple syrup. A day trip can do ya wonders.

Concerning the lost motivation/creativity, if you can afford it pick one or two FOs that you wouldn't allow yourself to buy before because of price, they didn't fit your line, whatever. Something you've been pining for. Then splurge for just that; no big, massive, 'gotta justify the shipping cost' or 'might as well get this other thing cuz might use it too' orders. This is just an experiment in creativity. I bet when it gets to your house you want be able to hold back pouring it.

• 1 month later...
I know just how you feel. I have stuff sitting around and people wanting to know what's the deal? It just needs to sit there awhile and let me think about it real hard or not. File my monthly tax statements for zero sales and pay out money for license and other junk. I lost a couple of grand this year (which really helps my tax situation) and it seems like everybody wants the fo that didn't get poured. Same old same old.....sigh. Headed to the beach folks, I don't need this kind of treatment. Good luck to all the newbies and appreciate the fact that all of this is so brand new and awesome. It's a lot better than knitting...I think.

I SO feel like this!!! I have inquiries all the time, but...........