Two new fun batches

cwayneu

We made two new batches that are a little different, and a lot of fun.

The first was all Billie's work. I just watched in wonder. :) She saw something similar from someone else and wanted to try. She basically tilted the mold on a board in opposite directions between each layer, except the last layer was done flat. By the time the next color was made ready, the last layer was firm enough to tilt without running. It turned out really cool. The FO she used is Wild Berry Zinger Tea.

They do have some weird arching on top like a smiley face. The mold is very narrow and deep (2 1/2" wide by 4" deep by 12" long). The top layer seemed to have crept up the sides during saponification. Fortunately, we over filled a little so have room to trim that off for our 3 1/2" length bars. I think they are cool.

The second batch, Billie let me do by myself. :rolleyes2 Of course it was her master batch mixture, her recipe, and her instructions, but I felt important doing the work. :cheesy2: These turned out pretty good as well. The FO is Very Sexy For Men.

I used my homemade 3" round PVC pipe mold. I cut a piece of cardboard 3" wide and about 18" long to divide the tube in half. I (we) mixed both color batches at the same time, then poured blue in one side and yellow down the other at the same time. OK, I did not do it all completely by myself. :rolleyes2 I then immediately pulled out the divider, stuck a small rod all the way to the bottom, and spiraled once from the outside towards the center and removed the rod. Then we went to bed. :smiley2:

Of course the next morning my amazing complex "tube and valve mounting platform system" did not work. My plan was to hook my air pressure hose to the tire valve at the bottom and push the soap right out. Nothing happened. I guess I won't patent that idea. :rolleyes2 So I used a can of corn and a stick (real high tech) and pushed it right out. Anyway, it was fun and turned out OK.

post-8565-139458454371_thumb.jpg

post-8565-139458454375_thumb.jpg

post-8565-139458454378_thumb.jpg

They both look great. The layers are the perfect colors for that scent.

I've been wanting to try the multiple layers. Do you only mix small portions of the recipe for each color, or how does that go?

I use the PVC tube too. I got the end caps from Home Depot. So if you get those you won't need a "mounting platform". I put a very slight coat of veg spray before I fill the mold, and when it is time to take it out I put it in the freazer for an hour, tap it on the ground and it slides out.

Now I have to try the divider trick.

Thanks for the great ideas :cheesy2:

I've been wanting to try the multiple layers. Do you only mix small portions of the recipe for each color, or how does that go?

:cheesy2:

Thanks everyone

I did separate batches for each layer. I have my oils and lye premixed at room temp. for total amount of oils so it goes pretty fast. I just measure oils, lye water, Fo and color for one layer, trace and pour. By the time I get one ready to pour, the last layer has set up enough. With 4 colors I divide the batch by 4 and print that amount out on soapcalc. That's what I'm measuring for each layer. Hope I'm explaining this right. LOL

Thanks everyone.

We are still beginners and for every two good batches a few not so good follows. LOL It's still fun and we only make for the family so we will keep practicing. Ours will never look like all of yours but we love the feel of the soap and will never go back to store bought. Besides we're addicted now.