Really weak FO's

mblairmail

Hey guys and gals,

I am so tired of getting weak FO's, I have ordered from several companies so far and found Peaks to be the strongest so far. I just received an order from Candles and Supplies and they are almost water. Cierra Candles being middle of the road. This really angers me because they are not cheap. I buy 10 to 15 at a time of the 1 pounders and it really adds up. I would like to find one company to order all of my products. I would say thats Peak but it takes a week for them to ship to me. Has anyone tried candlescience's FO's?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use CS in soy, GW464. with a rare exception here and there, their fragrances rock. i don't know if you use soy or paraffin, but CS has a rating system for soy and it is pretty much right on. i know there are a number of others who agree and hopefully they will also answer!

they are also very helpful with questions and overall just a nice bunch of people!

hth,

eileen

I know it seems to be expensive to just get the samples, but it really saves in the long run. I have 1/2 a cupboard full of 16 oz. that I really don't like or throw rather poorly. But, I hated to pay the high amount for the samples and shipping so ended up with more cost in the long run. Look in the classifieds and see if you can pick up a bunch of samples there from the companies you want to chack out...usually more reasonable. Just an idea. Beth

Why in the world would you buy an entire pound of an FO without testing a sample first? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Yes, buying samples can get a little pricey from time to time but it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a pound and then discovering you don't like the throw. Geez, it could be you're using the wrong wax.

I use Peak, Tennessee, KY and Candle Science the most. I started out with Candles & Supplies and did not like their throw (weak). I'm glad to know you are getting great hot/cold throw with your wax considering you have such bad experience with so many FOs. Samples are the way to go in the beginning. And when you've met the requirements of this board, you will be able to buy off the classified ads to try other suppliers in a more cost effective way.

Glad to see your candle experience is going so well. Will you be selling soon?

I've bought and used fo's from the following companies:

BCN

LSC

DS

CS

MMS

BB

GL

All of them make excellent fragrance oils. Some scents just ARE softer than others. I have a nice sandalwood from BCN that to me doesn't smell that 'strong'. To others, it does. I guess it is a matter of opinion!

I would not hesitate to buy from any of these guys. And some of them (like GL and DS) are small biz and I like to help support smaller biz.

Why in the world would you buy an entire pound of an FO without testing a sample first? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Yes, buying samples can get a little pricey from time to time but it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a pound and then discovering you don't like the throw. Geez, it could be you're using the wrong wax.

I was wondering the same thing...no way am I buying a pound of FO without knowing if it will work in my wax.

tootie

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info, I have been doing a lot of fragrance testing lately, and am sticking with:

Peak

Candle Science

Aroma Haven

I love this Forum, everyone has helped me out so much. I have been selling candles like crazy, (after only 6 months of testing). I have had nothing but compliments and returning customers, and I owe it all to this Forum. I started with 8oz JJ and 4630 wax and an HTP73 at 10% FO. Now I am up to Apothecary jars double wicked in 4 different sizes. You guys Rock!!! :)

In defense here, they are changing the oils. I have been ordering some of the same oils for years and now they are weaker. I always order in lbs. But the are weaker. If you call them, they swear it is YOU. So you go ahead and make the candles, and start getting complaints. I have found that each company has bad and good. If this keeps happening, I am going to get pissed and let them know what I think. We all need to watch this. It may be the manufacture that is diluting them too. It seems like quality everywhere is heading south.:angry2:

In defense here, they are changing the oils. I have been ordering some of the same oils for years and now they are weaker. I always order in lbs. But the are weaker. If you call them, they swear it is YOU. So you go ahead and make the candles, and start getting complaints. I have found that each company has bad and good. If this keeps happening, I am going to get pissed and let them know what I think. We all need to watch this. It may be the manufacture that is diluting them too. It seems like quality everywhere is heading south.:angry2:

I have come across this too. I have been using the same companies now for three years straight, so I know their oils like the back of my hand. I have started noticing some of my "top sellers" not being up to parr like in the past and where some oils are thicker, now are thinner and not so smelly OOB as they were knock your socks off. I have called before, and somehow they spin this as my fault too. I keep thinking, what the heck am I doing wrong here? I also noticed I am having oils that are not mixing into the wax or burning like they used to, but have never had any issues at all with any of them before. I know the economy is bad, but jeez people....ya think if you mess around with this stuff, people like us are gonna notice and then just simply go somewhere else. So while saving a little bit here and there by cutting corners, you are more than likely gonna lose a whole lot of long time customers who KNOWS when something is not right....not to mention getting the blame for it too.

ya think if you mess around with this stuff, people like us are gonna notice and then just simply go somewhere else.

I have notice this with all the company's I use. I think when they run out the new oils they are getting in are different. Could be the new laws on what is good for us causing a change in the chemicals the manufacture use to make FO's. I'm sure it will get better in time mft. will experiment more and find something that works better. But for now all we'll hear is "nothing has changed".:mad:

This is just a guess, but look to see if these fragrances are now phthalate free. This ingredient is a common binder that is used in perfumes and a whole host of plastic products in different combinations. Here's an article on the subject: According to the NRDC, phthalates pose the greatest risk over long-term repeated exposure. This doesn’t seem too difficult to accomplish with the advent of plug-in fragrance-infused gel cartridges, candles and even flameless candles that according to manufacturer Glade “continuously fragrances, all day, every day.” You can’t even visit a public bathroom without an automatic air freshener “cleansing” the air every fifteen minutes.

Could be the difference.