Methods used for centering wicks

It seems there is an emphasis of centering the wick at the top of the container, but not alot of talk when it comes to centering the wick at the base of a container candle. I see that there are tools out on the market, but they seem to be an inefficient (read: slow) solution. Was wondering what some of you are doing to accomplish the centering of the wick at the base of a container? I have been eyeballing it and at times missed the mark in a bad way.

set your jar on a piece of paper and trace the base of the jar, next get a ruler and measure to locate the center and draw lines that cross. When wicking, set your jars on the paper, and set your wick at the cross which will be the center! Voila!! ....obviously only works if you are using clear jars!

I got so tired of eyeballing and trying the paper patterns.. I invested in a wick setter... Like 20 dollars and IMO it is well worth it!

Emily

Emily,

From what I have seen on the web, it seemed like a slow way to go. May be you can comment on this? My comment is based soley from what I saw in a still shot tutorial.

Emily,

From what I have seen on the web, it seemed like a slow way to go. May be you can comment on this? My comment is based soley from what I saw in a still shot tutorial.

IMO the other ways are alot slower. Maybe it is because my eyes are bad. I don't do any mass production but if I did I would still say the wick setter is the way to go. It was very frustrating to me even after I made my pattern paper to still get the wick centered. And the bottom of the jar centering is very important to me! :P

The old way I was doing it is I had a paper pattern of my jar bottom with an x with the middle of the x is to where the wick went. The I used a broke pen tube put my wick in and then still had to eyeball to get center. That just didn't work out for me. Now I pop a wick in the wick setter and put over jar and push! Thats it!

JMO,

Emily

We use the EZ Wick centering tool. We double wick, and it saves us time..and money. We just completed one of several of our fundraisers with over 500 candles poured, and we saved alot of time in using EZ Wick. We are able to use it for all 3 of our container sizes we offer, so IMHO it's well worth the investment.

I made a jig from old styrofoam packaging into which the container fits snugly. To the bottom, I glued a bullseye style target to align the jar bottom & define the center with a circle the same size as my sustainer base. I snug the jar into the jig, check the alignment, then, looking straight down on the center, I stick the wick to the bottom with a dab of Permatex High-Temp silicone gasket maker and press it on with ye olde pen barrel (I cut this to the best length for the length of wick I am using). I can crank 'em out pretty quickly with this contraption. ;)

I have made these for each style container that I use as no two are exactly the same dimensions. For votives, I use a shorter length wick, so I have a shorter pen barrel cut down for those. Taller containers need longer wicks, so I use a longer length of pen barrel for them.

Whatever method you use, it takes practice to gain speed and accuracy. Good luck! :)

The wick centering tools are the best way I know how to get my wicks centered efficient and fast. It is true that they can be a bit slow but only when you are doing mass production. But I can still wick several hundred jars an hour with the centering tools so until I find a better way I am sticking with them.

Sometimes I use EZ wick setter but for me I have found that it is easier for me to eyeball it. I use a nickel under my jar (I only use clear jars) and move the jar aroound til the nickel is pretty much centered, then pop in the wick. I use nickels because they are very close to the diameter of the wick tabs.

Like Tootie said, I don't do thousands, yet in candles but do 1000's of melts .....lol....and Candy....you can actually do 100's in an hour? (you mean with 2 zeros?) oh my word! You must have 50 wick setters!Gosh!

But I love what Stella does.....That is great Stella....because I've tried drawing on a piece of paper and then sitting the jar on the paper with the center marked, but you have to have a good eye first of all to even get it to land on the exact diagram.....its not that easy....I eyeball mine.....but now I know what I'M going to do, something very similar to Stella.....I LOVE that idea! Thanks!

Trappeur

Question for any of you votive makers: I've seen some votives that I know the wax was poured solid, then a hole was drilled through and the wick was inserted from the bottom. Is there a way to do that at home, or is there some of these wick centering tools you guys are talking about that are made for that?

Darbla