Candle Danger - lead story in local paper

I think the emphasis is on how people don't pay much attention to candles that are burning. The fact that a flaming decoration was used with children. At least to me. I think it's terrible what she's been put through, but this is not something I will worry myself over. The candle didn't cause it. Personaly I feel it was negligence by the "adult supervision". Having an open flame so low that a small child could reach over, at a halloween party, no less, was asking for trouble. No matter how many warnings are put out, people will take candles for granted, ignoring them while burning, taking off to run a quick errand, flaaing alseep with them burning, etc.

It is such a tragedy :cry2:

Each year, those innocent-looking flames set an estimated 18,000 homes on fire, kill 130 people and injure 1,350, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

OK being a reporter as well, this statement irks me. The candle is bought lit, so it's people and their ignorance and what they put candles by or near. And excuse me, what was girl doing that caught her flammable costume on fire? I'm not saying the candle industry isn't to blame for making poor candles either, because there are people promoting their share of really dangerous ideas, but 9 out of 10 times it isn't an inanimate object's fault that causes the damage. It's the people who light them and don't think, even if they have a high IQ.

The article included a long list of safety guide lines that didn't show up on the link but they were the normal ones that we are so familiar with, i.e., don't leave a candle unattended, keep away from kids, etc. I agree that the article failed to emphasize that the responsiblity for candle safety lies with the user.

I'm getting P****d just thinking about it. There is a link at the bottom of the article to send opinions...think I'll do that while I'm in a fighting mood :mad:

Man that ticked me right off. "A candle did this.":mad: grrrrrrrrrr I posted my opinion on how the article is written, that statement, and that people need to stand up and take responsibility for there own negligence. I may have some spelling errors, but I think I got the point acrossed, as well as placed a warning that isn't on a lot of labels. Also said to buy wickless if you can't handle using fire LOL.

I might have been a little rough in what I said, but it holds true. I don't know what irks me more, the reporters or the jacka$$e$ that has the nerve to blame a freakin' candle.

Makes me want to shake the snot out of them and scream "WARNING LABELS YOU MORON, COMMON SENSE AND WARNING LABELS, GET IT???"

I was bleeped, but who cares. Got it off my chest and I feel better now.

Wellllllllll someone had to light that candle.....matches and lighters kill people since that is the point of orgin.....if you don't want to get burned, then don't light the candle. I grew up carving pumpkins and putting votives in them, many years ago before anyone heard of scented candles, and neither me, nor my four younger sisters ever got burned. My parents taught us fire safety. Accidents do happen, but it a parents job to supervise their children and anytime there is an open flame (even on a gas stove) one must exhibit superior parenting skills. What is the world is wrong with people ???????? This world is a dangerous place and precautions need to be taken anytime there is perceived danger. I was a wreck raising children......people thought I might be too cautious.....well, mine are still alive. Donita

Typical IMO. People always look for someone or something else to blame (sue). Also note they play the "child card".

IMO some of it doesn't even make sense. "Just last week, a 2-year-old Phoenix boy died after a candle he and his cousin were playing with started a fire."

Oh, I see, it was the candle that started the fire.

All in all I thought the article was good. It put the bug in peoples ears

"Candle Saftey" Would have been the headline I chose but I guess theirs sell more papers and that is all they care about.

I had a guy come into my shop Friday and said votives don't last very long so he bought a couple of jars from me. As he walked out I asked how long the votive burned he said it melted all down his counter in less than 30 mins.

What a fucking moron!!!!!! I said he should have used a votive holder. He said yankee didn't tell him that. I told him to read the label at the bottom of the votive and it would have told him. He said "Oh I didn't know candles came with instructions" If it has a wick they light it and most often they leave it. People just don't think that there is any need for concern

There are multiple morals to this story. Certainly thoughtful use of candles is one of them, especially around children. But for me the biggest lesson is, read the packaging on Halloween costumes and look for the one that says, "this costume will not cause your child to instantly go up in flames." I may be a pyromaniac but that doesn't extend to children and animals.

There are multiple morals to this story. Certainly thoughtful use of candles is one of them, especially around children. But for me the biggest lesson is, read the packaging on Halloween costumes and look for the one that says, "this costume will not cause your child to instantly go up in flames." I may be a pyromaniac but that doesn't extend to children and animals.

Good point, sugar

Just have to jump on the bandwagon here. The first thing that jumped out at me when I read that story was how the candle started the fire. I must be making some really poor candles because I have never seen any of my candles walk across the room and get the matches and light itself. So I am thinking that these two boys were either playing with matches or a lighter and a candle, or they were playing with a lit candle. Both situations are dangerous...were was the parental supervision????