Candlewic

Hi All - I wanted to buy some wax from Candlewic to try the crystallizing palm wax and when I got to the shipping part the charges doubled what I was buying. Needless to say, I did not order the wax. I'm wondering if there is a company that has the same wax which would be closer to California?

Hi Judy,,I am sorry no one has posted back to you...Have you tried to phone in your order to candlewic?? Or email and let them know it keeps charging double when you check out. I am in Illinois and I do not know of any other closer suppliers with this wax near you...Candlewic is the only one I can think of,,HTH;)

Thanks Donita that is a great idea. I've been spending so much money on candle making, but I keep seeing things that I want to try. Someone said they bought wax from Candlewic on sale, do you think after the holidays they might have this wax on sale???

Candlewic is in Pennsylvania. If you're in California the shipping would be outrageous. Those of us that are happy with the cheap shipping are ones that live within Pennsylvania, or one or two states away.

You need to find a wax supplier as close as possible. I get two cases of wax for $20 shipping at Candlewic, but if I order from a supplier a couple of states away it'll cost me $45-$50 for the same amount of wax.

DanaE

Found this in my my candle wax list

800-7CALWAX (800-722-5929)

email: sonya@calwax.com

They are in California, don't know if you can buy small amounts from them but they should be able to give you names of suppliers of palm wax that are closer to you. Sorry, I completely forgot that I had this when I posted before.

Dee

All the wax I use is from Candlewic. However that's not saying much since I'm still testing it. I'm fairly satisfied with most of what I've ordered. I figure what hasn't worked has been my fault since I'm a newbie.

Chris

I reread and I really didn't help too much!

I haven't used Glorybees palm wax but I would definately look for a supplier that is closest to you. Sometimes I have it delivered by truck.....when I make a large order. Donita

These people are in Texas

http://www.justbynature.com/wax.html

These people are in Wa

http://www.swanscandles.com/beeswax.htm

Seattle Wa

http://www.letitshineusa.com/about.htm

Here's some interesting info on making palm candles:

http://www.letsmakecandles.com/Info_Palm_Wax_803.asp

I love Candlewic's wax.. Especially the Palm Feather Wax and the blend wax they have for pillar/votives, but I am on strike from them so I have to find another place.

I just ordered wax again from Cajun Candle for votives. I dont personally like their pillar wax.

Christina

I am in Michigan, so I can't be of help on a good place to buy wax in California. There is a link that lists supply companies by state. I don't have it, but it's probably listed in the tips section somewhere on here or in the archieves, or you could run a search and that'd probably bring it up.

What I thought I should mention though is that though palm is IMO the most beautiful wax to work with, it is also one of the most difficult. I do not know your experience level in candle making, but thought you might want to be aware of this before spending much money on it. It's notorious for having airpockets, leading to other problems like blow outs. It's very difficult to wick, and I've heard that it has scent throw issues. I've heard many very experienced candle makers say they've given up on this wax because of these problems. Someday I want to try my hand at making them as well because I love the way they look. I've seen some made with a mix of the feathering and crystalizing palm in the gallary, and they result was some of the most amazing looking candles I've ever seen. But because this wax is so problematic, I've decided to wait until I have alot more experience under my belt. As I said, just thought I'd mention the problems associated with this wax before you invest much into it. HTH

Yes, this wax is difficult. Here is a picture of mine that I tried to put up on Ebay at once and I love the fact that no one wants to pay but pennies for home-made candles, so I gave up..

Unless I have done something wrong, I love making this in a votive, tart or tea-light but pillars.. OH BOY.. My co-owner tried doing pillars and trust me, she does everything by the book, and she had to hammer the mold, roll it around on the floor and literally beat the crap out of the mold to get it out. Not sure if other's have experienced that or not.. They are the most beautiful though. My customers love this wax. I charge more for candles when people want this wax because 1. the wax is more expensive and 2. its more work.

I have personally made votive out of it, but really do not like how the votives burn with this. This may just be a problem on my end that I need to work on and critique myself and make adjustments.

I was told from CW that in order for it to work, you must heat all your molds, and make sure this wax is 200 degrees or higher when pouring.

Here is a picture of the ones my co-owner and I made

Christina

post-1870-139458384837_thumb.jpg

Palm wax is a beautiful wax no doubt, but it does have it's problems. As mentioned...air pockets...you will get a million of these and must poke relief holes throughout the whole setting up process. Wicking: Wasn't so difficult once I learned that RRD wicks work best. You can get a great burn with these but because this wax is very brittle, you cannot hug them to enable them to consume most of the wax so...you're either stuck with an outside shell or you need to trim them down to expose the wick...if you like to see the flame instead of a glow inside your candle. Scent throw is another issue and one of the biggest turn offs for me. Cold throw is good but the hot throw is almost non-existent...very faint at best. I found that if you let it cure for up to a month, it got better, but it's definately not a big thrower of scent. Since this wax is so pretty, I didn't give up on it completely. I still make them periodically, but they are only for decoration and not for burning.