I sold my first soaps today

I have been giving out soaps to friends and family to try. They love them. Especially the salt bars and my husband just said to me last night, "so when are you going to try and sell some of these soaps".

There was a community yard sale today and we put stuff out and I set up my overstock of Christmas candles and I thought, what the heck, I will set out some soaps and body butter. They were a hit. I thought people around here would scoff at the $4 price, but they ate them up. One lady bought 3. I am so excited. I can't wait to make more and I just ordered a beveler from KB. I ran over to my neighbor and said " someone bought soap and I didn't have to give it to them."

Sorry, I am a freak.

I didn't sell any of my first soaps. I gave most of them away after testing them for a few months:grin2: They were surprisingly pretty good for newbie soap. I've recently gone back to a couple of my old formulas because to me they were awesome.

I figured I must have had soap angels...you must have soap Gods!:grin2: Wishing you a lots of wisdom and success.

I didn't have nearly enough guts to sell my soaps after just 2 1/2 months of making them.

C'mon Carrie. She made her first batch 3/27. I'm sure that the soap she is selling has cured for at least six weeks, won't develop DOS, etc.

C'mon Carrie. She made her first batch 3/27. I'm sure that the soap she is selling has cured for at least six weeks, won't develop DOS, etc.

I think Carrie's point was that since it takes 4-6 weeks to cure the first batch, then you have to test those, enough time wouldn't have passed for someone to do another batch and have them cured to sell, therefore meaning that she's selling her first batch, or out of a batch that was made before she could test the first one.

Not to worry! Success breeds jealousy.

Enjoy your victory and don't let the little people get you down.

:yay:

"There are only two kinds of people in the world:

people who succeed and people who criticize people who succeed."

M. McMillian

You are dead wrong. I am no more jealous of someone making soap for 2.5 months than I am of someone making candles for 2.5 months. Both are dangerous when they are selling their products without proper testing.

I didn't put the OP down nor was I condescending in my post. If she chose to take offense, I'm sure it was only because she realized the foolishness of her actions.

I don't think that my actions were foolish at all, if I were concerned about the safety of my products, I wouldn't have sold them. If I had any doubts at all. Who are you to call what I do foolish? I understand that you are ALOT more seasoned that I am, but does that mean that my products or quality are any less than yours? You can say that they are all day long, but the truth is, you can't know for sure. I am tired of people acting so self righteous. You are a talented soap maker yes, but are you the be all end all, handing down judgement to the little people, no. No one is. We are all learning. Maybe you consider what I did a little premature, but I don't.

I hope that when you all were new to this that people where a little less beat around the bush rude to you.

You are dead wrong. I am no more jealous of someone making soap for 2.5 months than I am of someone making candles for 2.5 months. Both are dangerous when they are selling their products without proper testing.

I didn't put the OP down nor was I condescending in my post. If she chose to take offense, I'm sure it was only because she realized the foolishness of her actions.

Ana, perhaps your first soaps are simply fabulous. For most of us, they weren't. Believe me, your batches will improve as you get more experienced.

You should be giving away all the soap you can, looking for feedback.

Suppose someone purchases a handmade soap and does not care for it. In their mind, they associate all handmade soap with the soap they tried and frequently, would not buy it again. This is the reason seasoned soapers want you to hold back.

You should want to sell a perfect product and when you are new, you are learning and there is always room for improvement. After five years, I am still learning and improving. When I started, I could not even dream of making some of the soap that I routinely make now.

No one wants to quash your dreams, we merely want you to step back and slow down.

e

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, Ana! I'd be thrilled too!

Don't let the rudeness bother you. Altough my feelings would have been hurt too. Some people become extremely emotionally involved with their craft and have high opinions of themselves. I guess some people do earn the right, but being a little more kind about it sure wouldn't hurt.

I will be making M&P with additives starting this week. If it turns out great I will asbolutely be selling it in the near future - regardless if it takes a few months or a few years. if it passes the tests and is a high quality product, then so be it.

Forgot to add that soap is like wine; it gets better with age. Soap that is six months old is so much better than soap at six weeks that there is no comparison, it lathers better, lasts longer, is milder, etc.

e

I totally agree with you E! And I agree with Carrie too!

I am NEW to making CP soap as well but I've been making it since Feb of this year. I have over 40 batches under my belt and I have experimented with all kinds of recipes and oils and still~ There is NO WAY I would ever sell to the general public yet!:embarasse

I researched for nearly a year before ordering all of my oils and beginning the love affair too!

Yes, I've given away at least 100+ fully cured bars of soap and people LOVE them but that doesn't mean I can just start selling. There is too much to know when a customer ask some questions to gage your experience

If you go to a craft show and set up, some of the first people to hit you with these questions will be other soapers. Can you answer their questions?They are the ones who will ask the hard questions.

Knowledge is power and experience is manditory for sucess.

At some point, next year, I HOPE to sell soap but only if I have a passing grade by other soapers in several soap swaps! That's the true trest!

Fire

Making a sale doesn't make one successful. It is thrilling to feel that rush of a sale, that someone likes something you made. But, that does't make one successful. It is very, very rare to be an overnight success. For most successful businesses, it takes planning, organizing, testing, failing and learning from that failure, practicing, perfecting and time. I don't think anyone is being rude. Anyone who can remember their first sale will pat you on the back and congratulate you. However, when something is done to potentially harm a shaky market you should expect a small amount of harshness. I'm sure that a knee-jerk reaction is to be defensive of your actions, but maybe if you cut through the defensiveness and listened to the advice wrapped in harshness it will make some sense.

Guest jurnalynn

congrats i was just as excited at my first craft show after all my hardwork and giving away stuff i had people finally paying for my stuff.....lol i want to try soap next but not sure if i'm brave enough......lol otherthen melt and pour Laura