Don't Mess With Heat Guns... LOL

We were pouring a new batch of blueberry candles this evening, and had a heat gun accident. :(

I measured out my f/o in a plastic cup, along with my additives and so on.

The hubby was heating up our jars with the heat gun, and didn't realize that the cups were close to him heating up the jars. Right before I go to grab the f/o, I realize there is f/o draining out the cup, all over our kitchen table. :angry2:

So word of warning.... always be aware of your surroundings... and be careful with the heat gun! :P

Yea... just realized that... I tried the same with banana nut bread... and it ate right through it.... 4 oz of F/O down the damn drain! :angry2:

I used a jelly jar this time...

F/O... try to melt glass... go ahead... I dare ya.... BRUHAHAHAHA!

We use a plain votive holder to measure FO in. Small, so we don't lose much, and easy to clean afterward.

Heat guns....they scare me a little...but I searched on here before we used it, read about all the disasters, and now I have a healthy respect for the little bugger! lol

I use the solo cups. The tiny white ones, and the clear 5oz and 9oz. In the tiny size I pour the FO and immediately pour into the wax. The bigger sizes can sit without a problem. When I do aroma beads I use the same cup for the FO 4-5 times with no problem. I guess the bigger sizes are more durable.

LMAO!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one these kind of things happen too! I have not had any issues with the heat gun yet, knock on wood. But you should have seen me trying to rebatch soap yesterday. It was everywhere!

:meditate:

I burned our counter top with my heat gun, heating up the sides of a jar and didn't notice the angle was also heating up the counter! Left a scorch mark and thank god, it was about a month before we renovated the kitchen--so no harm :) We now have tile counters and I don't have to worry so much--I think I could probably take a blowtorch to them now and be ok LOL.

Plastic cups and fo = dangerous...the bottom totally melted out of one on me with Black Cherry fo and took all the stain off the bottom of my spice rack and it happened quick! Not to mention my kitchen reaked of BC for 2 weeks!

Now I put my fo right into the warmed pour pot!

I use shot glasses or double shot glasses for small amounts of FO and I use glass measuring cup for larger amounts of FO.

I used to use the solo cups but hot cinnamon FO went right through it.....that is when I figured out plastic and FO dont mix!!:tiptoe:

I dont own a heat gun....so cant go there.

tootie

WSPS sells these cute little plastic cups that I put my FO into. I can let them sit and so far no ops's As for the heat gun well lets just say never sit hot heat gun near shrink wrap bags. They will all shrink LMAO. Live and learn. Regina

Besides the fact that heat guns produce HIGH heat and FOs have flashpoints... FOs should be weighed, not measured. Heavier FOs weigh more than do lighter FOs. You need a weight, not a volume measurement. For example if using a heavy FO, by the time you have filled a FLUID ounce measuring glass (never plastic!) to the 1 oz. line, you may actually have 1½ WEIGHED ounces in the measuring glass!

Put an empty pour pot on your scale and tare. Add the amount of FO needed, then tare; then add your wax.

Easy, peasy and accurate. HTH :)

Guess what happens when you have a plastic tablecloth covering over the table where you are heatgunning containers...:rolleyes2 It's UGLY unless you like the wrinkled look!!! :embarasse It's REAL ugly when you forget what happened the last time you did it and do it again... and again... and again...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Yea... I weighed it properly on the digi scale.... but it was a good lesson to learn.... LOL

The funny thing is... I blamed the hubby for melting the cup with the heat gun.... then while he was in the potty... I had the same thing happen with banana nut bread. I whispered into the bathroom... "hunny... it wasn't you!"

HAHAHAHHAHA :P

I use stainless steal condiment cups that you can find in the kitchen gadget section of Wally World or any BB&B. They hold about an ounce. I weigh it then and the fo. Don't have any problems with melting plastic. Works great for me.

Chauna

Here's another one....

I used my heat gun to heat a mold, put it down quickly to pour the wax in, and didn't realize that I put the gun on it's own cord.

Melted all of the coating off, right to the wires :(

I had a heat gun accident yesterday, I put the heat gun on the side of the table and knocked it over right on my foot.

Oh yeah loud screams and a tatoo ( not a pretty one) to show for it.

Not a problem here anymore. I use a Corn can "holster" nailed to the side of my bench. It never gets laid down anywhere now and you have to actually lift it to get it loose :grin2:

I use those wax coated paper cups(Dixie cups) that are used for the bathroom. I dont measure huge quantities and they usually hold around 2 ounces of FO at a time. I know they come in larger sizes and are disposable.

Same here and I normally don't have the fo sitting in the cup for very long anyway and clean up is a breeze. No more washing out a container.