Lard, where do you get it.

I get mine in 1# bricks at the grocery store. It's Armour brand in the green & white box (looks like a package of butter), which says Lard & Manteca on it (manteca is Spanish for lard). It doesn't need to be refrigerated so it can be hard to find - in one store it's by the bread (across the aisle from the cheese case), in another it's near the hot dogs. You may need to ask.

Some Wal*Marts sell it in buckets too.

I get mine from the grocery store as I don't need a lot. It is the Armour brand and it is sold in either 1 lb bricks or 4 lb buckets. The price per pound is the same either way, and I've found the 1 lb bricks more convenient to use. At the store here it sits next to the tortillas.

I've always found it at Wal Mart in the cooking oil aisle.

Same here. I've also seen it at all the other stores in my area in that same isle. Never have I seen it with the cheese or the hot dog buns. That seems to me like an odd place to put it. :confused:

Used to be that my super wally sold the 1 pound brick CHEAPER per pound than the buckets. Not so now. but I like the convenience of the 1 pound bricks for only pennies more a pound. I get mine at cash and carry most of the time in a 48 pound box, but then I am up to my elbows in lard getting it out!

Sorry for bugging you all. Where do you get your lard?

ha ha this is the same question I have been asking latley. I have searched all my local supermarkets and walmart, etc. I was like WTF, no one sells lard anymore? Then again I could think of anyone who still cooks with it, so maybe there is no more demand.

Lard, like coconut oil in WM must be a regional thing. I am in PHila. and can't get either at any WM within a 50 mile radius in PA or NJ. I did see it at a WM in Hazelton, PA. near where my other home is.

The manager at Sav-A-Lot in Phila. orders it for me by the case when I need it. If I just need a few, I get them in Delaware when I'm down there.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get it from the butcher, it'll probably need to be cleaned and rendered. Not sure what all that involves, but I hear it's not fun!

I'm in the south, so I get mine at the wal mart in buckets!

Jbren - The Giant Food Store in Bensalem carries it in 1# containers. It is by the bacon, sausage and lunch meats. I have seen it at the meat store across the street from it also. Handy if you don't need a lot.

It's about a block from the race track. Lose your butt then get your lard all in one block. :cheesy2:

Digit