My coconut oil trial

I posted a little while back my dismay and disgust at the lastest soy advanced container that I made. Sweating was unbelievable, FO pool around the wick, and wet spots everywhere, and virtually no hot throw. Admittedly the weather here is as hot and humid as can be, but these were very discouraging.

Then I read a post about adding some coconut oil to help wet spots. So I have been trialing some candles. I put about 1/2tsp in about 9oz and difference is amazing. No wet spots, the tops are beautiful and smooth, no sweating or Fo pools, and the wax looks so smooth and creamy, and I burned one yesterday, and I have a hot throw. I can't believe it. :yay:

Just wanted to post my results, and for me, this has restored my faith in soy candles. Never thought that so little of an additive could make so much difference to a finished product.

Thankyou everyone for the incredible advise and help that you all give. This has taught me that if at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

Tracey

I hadda go back and reread what you said about hot and humid, then I saw where you are... I get it now! :o

The coconut oil will harden the wax a little bit, so don't be surprised if the "magic" wears off when the weather turns cool again. ;) Glad it worked out for ya! It's GREAT when a plan works out, eh?:yay:

Stella, the humidity here is around 95 to 98% and is stifling. I was thinking that the results might be different through winter, but then again, we have a very mild winter, so it will be interesting to see what the difference will be.

I hadda go back and reread what you said about hot and humid, then I saw where you are... I get it now! :o

The coconut oil will harden the wax a little bit, so don't be surprised if the "magic" wears off when the weather turns cool again. ;) Glad it worked out for ya! It's GREAT when a plan works out, eh?:yay:

Stella:

Why would you think it would harden the wax? My impression is that it makes it softer. The coconut oil I get from Wal-Mart has a melt point of 76 degrees, which is lower than the melt point of my wax (GW464), so by adding CO, it would bring down the average melt point of the mixture, which makes it softer.

Or am I missing something? :confused:

Tea, it sounds like you have the same climate as I do - except opposite.

Why would you think it would harden the wax?

Because when I used it in C3, it smoothed out the tops and the consistency, decreased the frosting somewhat and made the wax slightly more brittle. Melting point isn't the entire equation... Perhaps if your wax has fewer additives and oils and emusifiers and diglycerides (I learned a new word!:yay:) added than does C3, it might react differently. :)

Hmmm ... can you elaborate on the "made the wax slightly more brittle" part?

To my understanding, the MP is the result of the "equation" as you put it. Additives+Oils+Emulsifiers+Glycerides (mono,di, or tri) = MP/hardness. To extend that, the higher the MP of the wax, the harder the wax will be. (for those of you reading along, I'm NOT saying this is fact/gospel, just the way I currently understand it - I am frequently wrong, so take it with a large mound of salt ;) )

Anyway, when I was using CO as an additive, it changed the consistency of my wax, making it softer to the touch. In doing so, it did have an effect on the smooth/creaminess of my tops. Granted I was using 1/2 tablespoon per lb of wax, so that might have something to do with it ;)

Hmmm ... can you elaborate on the "made the wax slightly more brittle" part?

To my understanding, the MP is the result of the "equation" as you put it. Additives+Oils+Emulsifiers+Glycerides (mono,di, or tri) = MP/hardness. To extend that, the higher the MP of the wax, the harder the wax will be. (for those of you reading along, I'm NOT saying this is fact/gospel, just the way I currently understand it - I am frequently wrong, so take it with a large mound of salt ;) )

Anyway, when I was using CO as an additive, it changed the consistency of my wax, making it softer to the touch. In doing so, it did have an effect on the smooth/creaminess of my tops. Granted I was using 1/2 tablespoon per lb of wax, so that might have something to do with it ;)

I always wondered how something softer, almost liquid could make soy harder, more brittle. It doesn't work that way for me.

I always wondered how something softer, almost liquid could make soy harder, more brittle. It doesn't work that way for me.

Ditto - in my parasoy blend I use 1/2 tsp CO pp and it softens the wax for me also. Allows for better adhesion, smoother tops and increased scent throw.

Ronnie, I am in deep water here because I do not understand chemistry much, so all I can conclusively state was my observation - I sure can't explain the "why" behind it - and because I cannnot explain it, it would be like building on quicksand to draw any conclusions from my observation... :undecided Brittle means more prone to cracking, sometimes harder and smoother.

I have noticed that when my candles develop the "bad" crystal phases, particularly the "cauliflowering" ones, the wax loses its strength. The crystals are spongey and sometimes even powdery when poked with one's finger. I do not remember exactly what/where I read that made me think that coconut oil might help the crystal pattern become more aligned and stable... perhaps it was something about emulsifiers? I know the article talked about emulsifiers also... Anyway, the article stated that certain veggie oils (coconut oil was the most readily available as I recall) helped to stabilize the soy crystals somewhat - the polymorphic thing. Tighter crystal formations frequently equal smoother, denser, more structurally stable materials. I am explaining this very badly because I don't understand the chemistry behind it... :undecided

I don't know the chemistry behind it either, but what I can say is that the wax definately feels harder when I run my finger over the top. It feels harder and has a glassy (if that's a word) feel than the candles with out it.

But now the wix that I used are not burning as they usually do. not quite getting a burn to the edge.

So going to remelt and rewix up and see what happens now.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

OK so now I really want to try this coconut oil in my candles to see if it will help the tops. So where are you guys getting it from? Like Walmart in in the food part with the olive oil? Not really sure but I saw someone say walmart so if I could get it from there that would be great. Well TIA.

If you have a supercenter walmart check there...i know the ones around here carry it :)

OK so now I really want to try this coconut oil in my candles to see if it will help the tops. So where are you guys getting it from? Like Walmart in in the food part with the olive oil? Not really sure but I saw someone say walmart so if I could get it from there that would be great. Well TIA.

Yep at Wally World! It is the LouAnn brand 76*(I believe). I have some but I haven't tried it yet..just tried the USA today.HTH! Post back your results if you try it!

Good Luck! Kimmeroo:grin2:

Well, I just added 1/2 teaspoon per pound of coconut oil to Eco-Soya 135 to see what will happen. It seems to lower the "slush point to below 100 F.

I got the Coconut oil from a soap making site and it seems to be ok no noticeable odor and MP is 76. Other than coming in a gallon jug is has been easy to work with.

No test burns until next weekend. But I will be interested.

OK, I just got some, and would like to know how folks melt it since it's like 65' in my house, and it's solid as a rock in it's container... then do you refrigerate it after you're done with it to keep it from going rancid? How many times is it ok to melt it and let it go solid again, without it going bad??

Thanks!!

OK, I just got some, and would like to know how folks melt it since it's like 65' in my house, and it's solid as a rock in it's container... then do you refrigerate it after you're done with it to keep it from going rancid? How many times is it ok to melt it and let it go solid again, without it going bad??

Thanks!!

Yes, it will go bad if you do not refrigerate after you open it. The shelf life is not near that of corn oil or canola oil. You can chip off some and microwave it for just 10 secs at a time and then measure out in your teaspoon or tablespoon. I personally didn't like it in C3, but some here have had great results.

When I tested using the CO I had smooth tops and no wet spots at first. After about 3 weeks the candles I made with the CO had more wet spots than the ones without it. It does harden the wax a bit. The wet spots don't appear right away, at least they didn't for me. I had some photos with a side by side of the CO and without. I'd post them if I could find them. :confused:

I cook some of my foods in CO and use it in my candles for the HT. But then again I do a lot of Organic cooking. But I stopped using the CO from Wal-Mart because of the way it handled in foods and in my candles. I now purchase my CO from Whole Foods/Harry's or a natural food market. The one that I use you do not have to put in the fridge. Something that I have learned using CO in candles; it depends on the types/brands of wax as to how much you need to use. I use Ecosoya CB-Advance and I only use 1/8 to 1/4 tsp pp (depends on FO) and still get a great HT. I have also noticed that it helps slow down the cooling period. I just wish I could remember that article that I read about a month ago about using CO in soy waxes:wink2: .

Pepper

I am new here. As I posted in the general forum I used to do paraffin and soy candles but got tired of the soot with paraffin so went to mostly natural. I say mostly because I read in this thread that you use CO in your wax...... Have you ever tried Coconut Wax? There are a couple distrubuters here in Cali I get mine from. I mix 3/4 soy with 1/4 cc and get wonderful candles and great hot and cold scent throw! Just a little FYI. Nice to meet you all.