measuring fo

Guest Candelishis

I'm not sure what you mean. How small of an amount are we talking? I have a big shot glass that I set on the scale, and pour the FO from the bottle to the shot glass until I have 1 or 2 oz, whatever I need, and pour it into my wax. If I only need 1 1/2 oz, I pour in 1 1/2 oz. So I guess, how much are we talking here?

My FO's come in plastic bottles that have pop-up squirt tops. I put a plastic party cup on my scale, zero it out, and then squirt FO into the cup until I have the right weight I need. I then just pour the FO into the waiting pour pot :) Even if your FO bottles don't have a squirt top tho, you can use the same method.

Your digital scale should have a "tare" feature. I also use a heavy bartender's measuring glass. I place it on the scale, tare ("zero out"), then add the FO to the glass. Because the glass was weighed and that amount "zeroed out," only what is put in the glass is now weighed. HTH:)

That's a great idea, Georgia! :)

When I am doing batches in pour pots, I usually measure the FO into glasses, line up the dyes I will use for each pour pot, then add the wax. Never even OCCURRED to me to just tare the pour pot and put the FO directly into it...:embarasse

This is what I love about this forum - when we get to chatting about what we do and how we do it, I never fail to learn a new tip or idea that helps me work mo' better!

...the fog begins to lift...

...a little...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Guest Candelishis
I know that many do this without incident but there are warnings from the manufacturers not to subject the scales to extreme heat.

I don't think that 150 degree wax qualifies as "extreme heat"

I use a glass 1 oz jigger and I found a 5 oz glass straight jigger at Walmart. I never pour more than 5 oz, so that works for me.

I always cover the jigger with a little foil lid while I'm waiting to pour it in the pouring pot. I just get it all ready ahead of time because some days I'm real stupid. :laugh2:

But, don't tell my husband that. He isn't aware of it. Is he? Naw! :smiley2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlWithTheCurl viewpost.gif

I know that many do this without incident but there are warnings from the manufacturers not to subject the scales to extreme heat.

I don't think that 150 degree wax qualifies as "extreme heat"

Well, I don't think so either, but apparently the electronics used in some scales are quite delicate and sensitive. Generally, electronic devices don't like heat in excess of 80°-90° unless they are shielded in some way or have a fan. The instructions for the scale I just bought not only mention heat (operating range of 62° - 90°F), but also not operating it near other electronic devices like cell phones, computers, etc. Now THAT'S ridiculous! I looked around the room where I pour and wondered WHERE can I get away from other sources of radio-frequency interference - remote controls, phones, computers, televisions, microwaves...:shocked2:

Can't get another one - this one has a 30 year guarantee which should take me to age 85...:rolleyes2

The trivet idea is a good one to shield the scale from heat. Perhaps I should shroud mine in lead foil...:rolleyes2 ;)

Didn't know about the heat, learn something every day...the microwave is for sure a no-no. If my scale is on and the microwave running the scale literally flips out! Now I keep it in a different spot so I don't screw up the scale and I try to be sure it's off. I usually just heat up my pour pot, put it on the scale, tare, add fo, tare again add wax. I always weigh my hot wax...guess I better take some precautions!

I also thought that this may not be good for the scale...if we add FO and dye into the pour pot rather than the Presto - for small jobs - we are at 175-180 degrees. I would be hesitant to put that on our scale.

Of course, it did not even OCCUR to me to put something on the scale first and then put the pour pot on it.

Sometimes I just scare myself....lol Good thing I found you people!!! :yay:

I also thought that this may not be good for the scale...if we add FO and dye into the pour pot rather than the Presto - for small jobs - we are at 175-180 degrees. I would be hesitant to put that on our scale.

Of course, it did not even OCCUR to me to put something on the scale first and then put the pour pot on it.

Sometimes I just scare myself....lol Good thing I found you people!!! :yay:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

If I put something hot on my scale, I first put down my silicone hot pad which insulates beautifully and is non-slip to boot!

It's just a bit bigger than the scale top so it protects it from spills too. But I don't leave it there cause the directions say that constant weight on the scale is a no-no.

I have also been putting one under my molds when pouring candles to keep my counter safe (I put my molds in a metal pan, but still want to keep the heat off the counter, especially if I zap the molds with the heat gun).

I also pour my wax into my pouring pot, then place my pouring pot on my scale that has a thick potholder on it (this also protects my scale from wax, somewhat!). Then I just squirt my fo's into the pouring pot. The hot pot is on the scale such a short time, I don't think it will hurt the scale.

I started adding the fo's this way because I felt I was wasting that last little bit of oil in my large shot glass. Also wasting lots of paper towels cleaning the shot glass out.

I started adding the fo's this way because I felt I was wasting that last little bit of oil in my large shot glass. Also wasting lots of paper towels cleaning the shot glass out.

OH, TG someone else looks at that LAST drop as wistfully as I do!! And wasting paper towels bugs me too! The only thing I will miss about my measuring glass will be sniffing the used paper towels...:laugh2:

Y'all have made me see the light!:yay:

OH, TG someone else looks at that LAST drop as wistfully as I do!! And wasting paper towels bugs me too! The only thing I will miss about my measuring glass will be sniffing the used paper towels...:laugh2:

Y'all have made me see the light!:yay:

Stella, you're crazy! (In a good way.)

I add directly to the pour pot. Zero the scale with the pot, then add a pound of melted wax and 1 oz. of FO and adds right in, once they dissolve comes the color.

I couldn't stand measuring away from my pour pot. I thought the same thing about those darn drops left in there. Though the used paper towels did wonders in the bottom of trash cans under the bag. But hell, I go through so many!

I measure FO's in a plastic dixie cup, then add to pour pots....

A wise old candlemaker from the 70's once told me, never, never add FO's directliy to your pour pots or your melters,,, in case of a bad measurement, you've probably wasted your entire pot of wax unless you can transfer the contents to a bigger container and add extra wax to compensate for an overage of FO.;)

Guest Candelishis
The only thing I will miss about my measuring glass will be sniffing the used paper towels...:laugh2:

Ahhh....so that's what it is......I knew she had to be sniffing SOMETHING... :P:laugh2::P:laugh2::P:laugh2::P

Another advantage to adding fo directly to your heated pour pot is that the fo warms up enough to keep your wax from dropping in temp a bunch while trying to mix in the fo.
Huh? :confused: When I add the cooler FO to the wax in the pour pot, the wax is always warmer and the FO always drops the temp while I am stirring the FO into the wax - doesn't matter whether it's squeezed from the bottle or poured from a glass! Sometimes I have to rewarm the mixture slightly after adding the FO and stirring for several minutes to incorporate the wax to bring it back UP to the pouring point, depending on what kind of wax I am pouring...:confused:

I weigh the FO separately in a glass shot glass, then add it to the pour pot. I have added FO directly to the pour pot on the tared balance, but overshot the amount of FO. So then I had to add more wax, more color, etc, just like SherriLynn said.

However, I ordered a bunch of Bert's FOs and they came with a squirt type cap. It is much easier to pour the FOs with this kind of top. I went to candletechs ebay site and bought a bunch more of those types of caps for my other FO bottles. I may just go back to pouring FO straight into the pour pot now that I have much better control of my FO pouring.