A case story on the importance of TESTING!

Yesterday a co-worker came up to me and said that she had 2 of her tumblers burning--well, she went to bed early 'thinking' her DH would put them out. Welp! You guessed, he didn't, and they burned all night. She said one had burned out completely, and the other one still had a little wax left and the flame was still going. HER point was that she was ill at her DH for 'wasting' her candles lol. I proceeded to let her know that I was sorry that her candles got used up, but isn't she glad that they were safe? And then I let her know to pleaasse be careful and not let that happen again lol!

Just writing this to let folks know who are just getting into candlemaking that somewhere, sometime down the line this will happen to one of your candles! Make sure and test ALL your candles--every container, every scent, and don't forget to power burn for safety--I'm sure glad I did!

Good point!!!! But what scares me still is that even though you test and test and test you dont actually test the candle that the customer is getting. What I mean is that you could have tested that particular candle with that wax, wick, dye, jar, FO, etc and all went great. BUT, there is always that chance beyond your control where maybe your supplier changed suppliers wehre they get those wicks from or that dye and didnt tell you and you think its the same and you go and sell it, feeling condident and poof! you have a bad candle that you did not know about. I have heard of this happening, where suppliers get changed and you just dont know.

Anyway, needless to say, no matter how much we test and test our products I dont think anyone should be leaving them along like that. It just amazes me how many people leave a candle unattended.

I had given a lady I work with a candle to evaluate for me. I had tested and felt it was good - just looking for other opinions. She came back and said it was great! It was still burning in the morning...all the others she had gotten before had burned out before she got up! :shocked2: No more testers for her!

I had given a lady I work with a candle to evaluate for me. I had tested and felt it was good - just looking for other opinions. She came back and said it was great! It was still burning in the morning...all the others she had gotten before had burned out before she got up! :shocked2: No more testers for her!

omg. what is wrong w/people?

I don't sell, but my fear is just ignorant people. I have family that loves candles and they buy them all the time. They have read the warning labels about properly trimming wicks.... and I have told them and trimmed the wicks myself in their presence. Do they learn? NOPE. The next time I am at their house, they light a candle with a huge burnt up wick on it thats smoking like a chimney with a HUGE flame and they want to power burn the thing. :rolleyes2

But if it burns down the house.... they can try to make the candle maker liable?? THAT scares me most, aside from someone trying to make a quick buck and not testing their candles.

Oh geez..I would cut her off too...

Hey Bud, send her to burning candles safely class. And you can be the teacher I'm beginning to think people should have to take a safety class and get a license before being allowed to burn candles.

That is crazy. When I had my storefront a lady would always come in and buy a candle. Every week she would buy a few candles. I never thought to ask her anything but she finally said "These are nice candles, I went to bed, went to church, went for brunch and the candles were still burning...My heart and jaw hit the floor. I was so shocked I just looked at her. I don't know if the shock on my face scared her but I just couldn't believe what she told me. Some people just don't get it....

Hey, since we're discussing this.....

I'm giving some away at Christmas and I want to print up a page (or however long it ends up being) of safety tips and how to get the most out of your candle. What all would you include on this page? So far I've got don't leave it unattended, burn to a full melt pool to prevent tunneling, burn 3-4 hours each time, trim wicks to 1/4" of just slightly less, votives are safer if placed inside another fireproof container. What else do I need to add and/or flesh those ideas out to?

Darbla

I'm giving some away at Christmas and I want to print up a page (or however long it ends up being) of safety tips and how to get the most out of your candle. What all would you include on this page? So far I've got don't leave it unattended, burn to a full melt pool to prevent tunneling, burn 3-4 hours each time, trim wicks to 1/4" of just slightly less, votives are safer if placed inside another fireproof container. What else do I need to add and/or flesh those ideas out to?

Darbla

Burn it on a fire resistant surface...

I had one of my customers come up to me recently and ask when am I doing my shows because he needed some more of my candles--because they were the only "safe" candles he had ever found.

Curious what he meant by "safe" candles, I asked him. He said they were the only candles he has found that when he forgets to put them out, burn safely after long periods! He said he has left the house and gone to bed with them burning and they are still burning fine when he returns/gets up!

I about died and told him there wasn't a "safe" candle and let him know of the possibility of fire once that candle burns under 1/2 inch--he was quite surprised and it also let me know that he hasn't bothered reading my safety and burning instructions that are on each candle and also on a card I hand out and discuss with each sale. You can only try so hard!

I about died and told him there wasn't a "safe" candle and let him know of the possibility of fire once that candle burns under 1/2 inch--he was quite surprised and it also let me know that he hasn't bothered reading my safety and burning instructions that are on each candle and also on a card I hand out and discuss with each sale. You can only try so hard!

This is a good point. We know a lot of times customers dont bother to read the warning label, and I will admit to being one of them before I got into this. I never left one burning all night or left the house with one lit, but I will admit to being a power burner because I had no idea it was a bad thing. That said, I think including a safety card/paper along with the candle is a great idea. Of course there will be those who toss it, but there will also be those who read it. Had I got such a paper along with my candle, I would have read it long before just a label. (as you can tell, I bought a lot of dollar store type candles where I should have been getting them from those who make them, I know I know, I was bad :embarasse )

Guest Candelishis

Darbla

I have a sheet saved on my computer, it's got a cute little candle graphic at the top and a list of safety tips. I can email it to ya if you would like, just PM me with your email addy.

I can't believe how freaking stupid people can be...my own family included. This is a little off-topic here, but my father is the fire chief in the town I grew up in. My brother is a firefighter in a large city around us. My mom helps out at fires all the time, taking them water, food, etc if they're out for a long time. I'm a paramedic and former firefighter. It's in our blood. You would think that nobody in my family would have a problem with fire safety. In March, my parents' house almost burned to the ground. My mom "didn't know" that you should clean the exhaust on the dryer out once every so often...they've lived there for 30 years and had the same dryer for 15 years and she never cleaned out the plastic exhaust tube that comes out of the back of the dryer.... Good thing they live across the street from the fire station! Even now, after their lives are just returning to normal and their new house is finally done, I walked into their new kitchen last week and mom had a candle burning on the counter. I walked over to it and looked at the underside of the cabinet above it....pointed out the scorch ring to her. She doesn't do that anymore :) And daddy wasn't real happy!

To add to all of these horror stories, I have one of my own! A lady at work bought one of my eucolyptis spearmint candles. The following Monday morning she came and told me she really loved it. She said it was an awesome candle, she had lit it in her guest bathroom and forgot about it for 2 Days!!!!! My legs nearly gave out from under me!!!! OMG!!! I just felt sick inside. Then she said that it burned evenly just as I had said and the scent throw was amazing! I had given her burning instructions as do with all of my customers but she said she just simply forgot about it! She said the jar was not even hot! I was floored! I said I was ever so thankful nothing happened but please please please don't do that again!:shocked2: