Suppliers selling email addys or perhaps stolen...

Di_in_AZ

I was spammed tonight by Deja Vu Candles. I make candles, so I really am not interested. What upsets me, I was spammed by this person on an email address I use with suppliers. I don't use that address on any websites. I am disappointed that this person stole or bought my email address. The worst thing was they sent the email out to probably over 100 people, and all the email addresses were in the "TO" line for everyone to peruse, nothing like protecting your "spammed" customers' privacy. Whoever you are, shame on you for being extremely rude and unprofessional.

Edit to say, they did email to apologize and said I was a customer who bought candles from them. I sell my own so I know that is not true, I suppose it could be a cosmic coincidence that another candle company emailed me at an addy I use with suppliers by mistake.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't spammed, but I did receive some correspondence from A Jar Store yesterday in regular mail - I don't know if they got my address from when I applied for my tax ID or what...(that was awhile ago) - not sure where else they would've gotten it from.

I wasn't spammed, but I did receive some correspondence from A Jar Store yesterday in regular mail - I don't know if they got my address from when I applied for my tax ID or what...(that was awhile ago) - not sure where else they would've gotten it from.

I got something too and wondered how they got my new address.

I got something too and wondered how they got my new address.

You know, though,I have to wonder if they got it from candle science? Like I said, I got my official stuff taken care of a long time ago, but I just ordered from them what, a few weeks ago? Have you ordered from them?

I personally have never contacted them in any manner

Things that make you go hmmm...I have no idea.

I am emailing this person who I posted about to find out who leaked my email addy because I don't use it on the boards anywhere, but I do with some suppliers. The person is actually very nice and just bought the business from someone else--who had that addy. I just wish people were more careful with your information. I don't care if the email I use on boards gets out, but I did not ever suspect anyone I did business with, I have not had a spam situation before with any one I have dealt with in candles. Stupid me! Live and learn I guess.

I got the postcard too...from A Jar Store. Thought it was kind of wierd considering I just started selling about 5 months ago. I buy my glass locally, so I don't know where they would get my address. Not sure, but apparently someone has got a hold of our info....

Shari

I didn't get a post card from Jar store but then again I don't deal with them either.

BUT, I think someone should get a hold of them and ask them who they are buying their list from.

You know, some businesses sell their database info to those companies you can buy listings from. Those listing companies also once a month go to each state and get the newest business license additions too.

I got a flyer from them in the mail today & thought it was odd since I don't make candles & don't do biz w/ them. Hmmm

ETA: after I posted, I went back to finish reading the thread & had to laugh. The Jar Store has been busy, huh?

I got a flyer from them in the mail today & thought it was odd since I don't make candles & don't do biz w/ them. Hmmm

ETA: after I posted' date=' I went back to finish reading the thread & had to laugh. The Jar Store has been busy, huh?[/quote']

No kidding. I really am beginning to wonder where they are getting the info.

Haven't rec'd any spam, but back to the Deja Vu e'mail: Do they not know how to use the BCC???

Not only is that careless, that's ignorant--especially with them being business owners.

I mentioned that in my email and she was very apologetic. Apparently the lady bought the company from another person and that is where she got the email addresses from. The previous owner also owned Flickering Flames Supplies. I don't ever recall doing business with her, I think she may have gotten my email from selling in classies.

Either way, suppliers or anyone on this board should never sell emails or spam customers without consent.

Either way, suppliers or anyone on this board should never sell emails or spam customers without consent.

I hate spam just as much as the rest of you, but I wanted to mention privacy policies, and quickly explain how they work.

You know those long and usually incredibly boring things you often have to click to say you've read before you can continue with your order....well, that section usually includes the company's privacy policy. In clicking that box, you give them permission to do whatever it is they say in that policy. As long as a company is upfront about gathering and selling your e-mail address, it is completely legal to do it. Heck, Microsoft does it all the time, and gets paid big bucks for their list.

This is why it's important for every single website to have a clear and concise privacy policy listed on their site. I know at one point Google wouldn't list sites in their searches if they didn't have one on their site. Anyway... Since I hate spam, I have it clearly stated that we do not and will not give away or sell the information that is gathered through our site. If I had stated that in our policy that we do, then I could sell your information to anyone I wanted, and it would be completely legal.

But this is also why it's so important to build permission based e-mail lists, and to use double confirmation opt in practices (they have to click on an e-mail that is inside an e-mail sent to them).

So if you joined someone's mailing list, and their policy was to NOT share their customers info, and then they decided to SELL their business.... legally, your info should never have been included in the sale without getting permission from you first.

I hate spam too, but if they do it right, this was completely legal. As for A Jar Store, I wouldn't be surprised if they garnered the info from the business license filings with the state. That is completely legal. We've registered several businesses over the last couple years, and it always results in a barrage of junk mail. Usually it's business credit card applications, but sometimes other stuff as well. It's legal. It sucks, but it's legal.