Suppliers selling email addys or perhaps stolen...

Di_in_AZ

Things that make you go hmmm...I have no idea.

I am emailing this person who I posted about to find out who leaked my email addy because I don't use it on the boards anywhere, but I do with some suppliers. The person is actually very nice and just bought the business from someone else--who had that addy. I just wish people were more careful with your information. I don't care if the email I use on boards gets out, but I did not ever suspect anyone I did business with, I have not had a spam situation before with any one I have dealt with in candles. Stupid me! Live and learn I guess.

Hey Di,

I didn't know that Deja Vu Candles was sold and I used to talk to the old owner. She was a supplier at one time also but got really sick and shut down the site. Could it be that you ordered samples from them at one time? That may be how the new owner got your email address.

Sorry, I cant remember the supplier site that she had.............

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Di,

I didn't know that Deja Vu Candles was sold and I used to talk to the old owner. She was a supplier at one time also but got really sick and shut down the site. Could it be that you ordered samples from them at one time? That may be how the new owner got your email address.

Sorry, I cant remember the supplier site that she had.............

I looked and it was the former owner, I had bought wax off her. I can't imagine saving the email addys of people I have business transactions with off classys--it is not acceptable. I had already figured that out from the new owner, she just sort of got sucked into this.

I just went out to the mailbox to get my mail (haven't picked it up in over a week) and what do ya know, there are 2 postcards from the jar store in there. One is addressed to me and one is addressed to my husband, now the ONLY supplier I have EVER used my name (my credit card) and then an order with my husbands name (his credit card) was BCN! There has never been anywhere else that I have ordered at different times using either his name or my name with this new address we have. So therefore it would leave me to believe either BCN is selling names and addy's or somehow the credit card companies are keeping track of which companies we are using our cards at and selling that info to these marketing groups??? What do you guys think?

Got the postcard a couple days ago--I've never bought from BCN.

So.......my guess would be the cc companies.

Either way, it doesn't bother me to get mail from suppliers, electronic or otherwise--as long as it pertains to my particular business, and as long as an e'mail has only one 'to' address on it---mine.

I have only purchased from BCN once and that was about 4 years ago, so I don't think it was them, unless it was a few suppliers they got our names from or all of them. Don't they get paid a fee. I know my telephone company sells phone numbers, but now my phone is hooked up just for faxes so all they hear is beeping noises. HeeHeeHee.....No more phone calls.....

Ok, I got some info on how this works. If you use your credit card at say a Michaels, a candle supplier etc. the credit card company itself assigns what is called an SIC code. It is a government code that would be assigned for a specific industry. In this case it would be assigned as a craft code. Then from there the credit card companies compile lists of these target customers with names and addresses and sell them to marketing firms. From there anyone with the money to purchase them and the know how of where to find them can buy a list of names of people that would perhaps be interested in their products. Which is how my name ended up on this list. It kinda irks me that they do this but honestly not much we can do. However it explains how some of us who never use the CC or name/addy elsewhere got on the lists. Thank your beloved credit card company. They are the reasons we are on lists such as this. Gives ya a real warm n fuzzy feelin' doesn't it? NOT!

The lists DO NOT come from other suppliers. Plain and simple folks, why would any supplier sell a list to a competitor to make money? That makes no sense at all, they would be cutting their own throats. :wink2: Just thought I would explain what I found out so that we are not accusing the wrong persons for "selling" something that was never sold. If you want to be mad at anyone be raging angry at your very own credit card company. I certainly am. :D

2 things aggravate me about this kind of crap:

1) All the trees that are destroyed and the harm to the environment to produce all this junk mail that nobody even wants.

2) Someone else is making money off my name and address and *** I *** can't even do that!

Darbla

Also think about this...how many stores do you shop at that ask for your zipcode before they ring up your sale? I know that Michael's and Best Buy do that! So that is not only assigning you to a certain target market it is also narrowing you down to your zipcode as well. Some stores even ask for a phone number before ringing you up. And we all know we just belt out that information so we can get home and watch that new DVD we are trying to purchase :D

Angi

Ok, I got some info on how this works. If you use your credit card at say a Michaels, a candle supplier etc. the credit card company itself assigns what is called an SIC code. It is a government code that would be assigned for a specific industry. In this case it would be assigned as a craft code. Then from there the credit card companies compile lists of these target customers with names and addresses and sell them to marketing firms. From there anyone with the money to purchase them and the know how of where to find them can buy a list of names of people that would perhaps be interested in their products. Which is how my name ended up on this list. It kinda irks me that they do this but honestly not much we can do. However it explains how some of us who never use the CC or name/addy elsewhere got on the lists. Thank your beloved credit card company. They are the reasons we are on lists such as this. Gives ya a real warm n fuzzy feelin' doesn't it? NOT!

The lists DO NOT come from other suppliers. Plain and simple folks, why would any supplier sell a list to a competitor to make money? That makes no sense at all, they would be cutting their own throats. :wink2: Just thought I would explain what I found out so that we are not accusing the wrong persons for "selling" something that was never sold. If you want to be mad at anyone be raging angry at your very own credit card company. I certainly am. :D

Ok- how would this work if I have never had a credit card billed to the address it was sent to? The only thing I have ever used this address for is shipping. It was my old work address- nothing to do with the craft business.

Ok- how would this work if I have never had a credit card billed to the address it was sent to? The only thing I have ever used this address for is shipping. It was my old work address- nothing to do with the craft business.

Even UPS/FedEx sell lists :( I actually talked to the jar store. They purchased the lists from marketing companies. If you ever used that address and it was used by a shipper they had it. Most of the time however it is a credit card company that gives up the info. If you used a CC and even had it shipped to that addy...it could be how.

Believe me I know it stinks. I try and keep the info they had to myself. I never give my addy to anyone and my bills are not in that name so I was baffled! lol

Out of curiosity, do people actually read threads:) ? I posted early on in this thread that I had contacted the Jar store and they work with a marketing firm in CA--over and over since that post, people have asked where they got the emails from :shocked2:

Out of curiosity, do people actually read threads:) ? I posted early on in this thread that I had contacted the Jar store and they work with a marketing firm in CA--over and over since that post, people have asked where they got the emails from :shocked2:
Most people read the first few posts and that is it...

But one way that I have been told (I do not do this) Suppliers will search the internet for website and pull the information and create a database of people to send their information too.

Sorry Di,

Call me the moron of the group. I did actually read what you had said but didn't understand how a marketing firm got MY info. I thought in the past I have done everything right. I'm unlisted, on the do not call list, (like that matters) and don't have those free credit card thing's sent to my house. I didn't realize my bank would give out the info on what I purchase to others for solicitation. So of course my mind went to what company had the bad employee that sold there customer list to the highest bidder. Guess I just needed it spelled out for me.

Karen B