Suppliers selling email addys or perhaps stolen...

Di_in_AZ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also got one and it was addressed to me using the business name I used before I switched to soy which was over 7 yrs ago.

They definitely didn't get it from the state because I never had a vendors license with that business name.

Karen

Wow, they were very prompt and pleasant with their response--they work with a marketing firm who identifies candle/craft companies who may be interested in their products. So whoever mentioned the state lists--was probably right.

I got one today too. I've never bought from the Jar Store- have only looked at their website. I don't even make candles- I looked for someone else. It couldn't have been from a state list, is mine was sent to my OLD WORK address. Nothing to do with my business. The only time I ever used this address was as a shipping address. So for me- it had to have been from a person or business that I have purchased from in the past. That doesn't make me happy. :mad:

I got the same thing from The Jar Store and the ONLY two suppliers I have purchased from in ages are BC (obviously! lol) and Candle Cocoon. I know Lyshel has far more integrity than to sell my name. I don't have any credit cards and my name was listed as Jennifer A. Young. ALL my info is under my previous name, Wentz including my banking etc. My insurance that is in my name is not at all associated with my business. My business name is in my partners name and my previous name, ugh! lol I find this very interesting. How would a marketing company have gotten my info? The only bill I have in MY name is my lease...not even my phone number is in my name. The things that make you go hmmmmmmm! I know Rich and Doneen would never sell our info either, I work for them so do know that much. But geez. A few months back someone else called me for jars, not the jar store though. I work for a supplier people, 70 miles from my front door. Why on earth would I pay MORE and pay for shipping too? lol

I received my postcard from the Jar Store yesterday! Now, I feel like I'm in the club!!!:D

I have never purchased from BCN or Candle Cocoon so it can't be from them. And I don't have my vendor's license from my state but, I have registered my business name. However, the postcard was sent to me, not the business name. I purchase regularly from Candle Science (I really can't see these guys selling a mailing list), Nature's Garden, and Fillmore Containers. I have ordered from Indiana Candle Supply and Tenn Candle Supply, as well as a few more.

Interesting... so is anyone going to use the 10% discount or did this type of advertising backfire on them? I'm still debating even going to their site to look at what they have.

You do know that anything you put on your business info with the state or county is a matter of public records? I doubt that the post cards came from public records because it looks like many states have been hit..that looks more like a major supplier selling the info or teaming up and trading lists with another vendor. Just consider all the junk mail you get as soon as you file your paperwork with the state. Also...some insurance companies sell listings of their clients (I worked for one that did!) If you don't want this to happen, you need to read that fine print on every doc or every website you order from...usually in Terms & Conditions or under Privacy Policy.

Hey guys I've got one too. I'm just wondering if anyone else that has gotten this purchased FO from RA or maybe Pourette in the past.

Either that or maybe a good supplier had a really bad employee? Unfortunately those kinds of things happen.

Karen B

Thanks sharig,

there goes my theory. I thought with either one someone could have sold the customer info. I still can't help but wonder if an employee stole the info before leaving a company. The owners may not even know what is going on. I will definitely have to be more careful before I just "click OK" when that 3 pages of boring BS shows up.

Wow, they were very prompt and pleasant with their response--they work with a marketing firm who identifies candle/craft companies who may be interested in their products. So whoever mentioned the state lists--was probably right.

Hmm, that would make sense...IF I were a craft company LOL. I don't even have a domain registered! We do have a corp, but that's for real estate only and it's named after my dog :laugh2: ... nothing remotely close to anything crafty LOL The flyer had my name/addy on it, which bothers me.

I'll shoot them an e-mail and see what they tell me.

I just double checked the address on my postcard. It was addresed to my real name only...NOT my business name. Some supplier's ask for your company name and others don't. Since I order from so many I can't remember who does and who doesn't. But it looks like IF a supplier did give out a list...its one that ONLY has my real name.

Every so often I will get a postcard about a sale from At Wix End. That does not bother me since I order from them.

Maggie

I just double checked the address on my postcard. It was addresed to my real name only...NOT my business name. Some supplier's ask for your company name and others don't. Since I order from so many I can't remember who does and who doesn't. But it looks like IF a supplier did give out a list...its one that ONLY has my real name.

It's also possible they bought it from a supplier who asked for both your name and company name, but then chose to address the postcard to your name only. Maybe they figure (like in Deb's case) the address could be a work address and so it would be more likely for the postcard to get to you if they use your name, as the person sorting the mail may not be familiar with your company name, plus it'd look weird if the address contained 2 company names in it (yours and the workplace's).