PO'd at the Post Office

In my opinion the PO has went off the deep end. I called the other day to find out a phone number for a post office in a neighboring city, unfortuantely the only number listed in the phone book was an 800 number. This is the national number for PO phone numbers. Upon calling I was first answered to ask numerous questions, one of them being WHY I wanted to call that post office. I explained I wanted to know if that zip code was overnight service or if it was two day because my own zip code was two day and I was trying to get an order delivered over night.... Questioned again on what I was mailing... have I mailed from there before,, etc..etc..etc.. UNREAL!!!!!!

What has happened to our world,,, we can't even get a rate or mailing advice anymore by phone, without the 3rd degree questioning. Absolutely ridiculous. I have set up a FedEx account, so no more of that bolonga.

Apparantly the Post Office doesn't want any more business. Anything over 3/4 " thick is now treated as a package. And if its over 13oz, you can't out stamps on it. They can't be dowloaded off Usps.com either. Becuase of security issues....also a way to loose business!! Thanks for letting me vent!!

Use paypal shipping. You can still do first class thru paypal. Just FYI

You can thank those who wish to do harm to us for making us deal with yet another inconvenience. I would rather be safe than sorry. It's just now an everyday fact of life that our lives will no longer be normal as we knew it a few years ago.

This is so true! I know many things have become a real hassle for those of us who are non-threatening consumers. But, it's not easy on those who have to directly enforce the new rules either. I use to get aggravated at the postmaster everytime I mailed a package. I would get so tired of the same old line, is it liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous. Then I thought, if I'm tired of hearing it, how tired is she of saying it, not just to me, but to everybody who mails a package.

Wouldn't it be so nice if we lived in a perfect world where our families and homes were safe from all harm and our packages arrived unsquished.LOL

I didn't know you could send an envelope that was bulky. I always thought it would be considered a package. But I did see a guy send a cell phone in a large envelope and a lady put a camera in the large envelope and sent it off. I had no idea that you could send anything like that in a large envelope... Go figure...

I didn't know you could send an envelope that was bulky. I always thought it would be considered a package. But I did see a guy send a cell phone in a large envelope and a lady put a camera in the large envelope and sent it off. I had no idea that you could send anything like that in a large envelope... Go figure...

My question is WHY would you put something that could be squished or damaged into an envelope? It never ceases to amaze how I receive items sometimes!

Actually that 3/4 rule has been in effect for a while. My post guy has a template that he slides the package through, if it fits it is okay, if not, it is a package.

Now here is my thinking, if my po lets it go, it may or may not go through later, I would be pretty embarrassed to have my customer have to pay extra on their end.

Also, on the 13 oz thing, make sure it is 13 and not 14, even it if is .0001 over somebody may catch it and then it is considered priority. I had a customer email me irate because he had to go to the po after work to get his overweight package and then pay priority for it.

Last week I mailed a flat rate envelope to a customer who had purchased 3 small things but wanted them fast. She receive the package like this:

getconvoimagejv1.jpg

with 1 out of the three items missing. She had to go pick it up at the post office. Someone there had actually carefully opened the side and took out one of the items. The manager there had the audacity to tell her that it arrived that way. Now please, don't you think everything would have fallen out of it, and not just one item? The way they treat their employees stealing our mail is ridiculous.

Fedex is looking better and better as each day goes by.

PS, I use the FEDEX slips for my packages because a long time ago I received 500 of them and they just sat there, until I realized I was actually allowed to use them for my USPS packaging. So that's why you see Fedex on the package,lol.

Last week I mailed a flat rate envelope to a customer who had purchased 3 small things but wanted them fast. She receive the package like this:

getconvoimagejv1.jpg

with 1 out of the three items missing. She had to go pick it up at the post office. Someone there had actually carefully opened the side and took out one of the items. The manager there had the audacity to tell her that it arrived that way. Now please, don't you think everything would have fallen out of it, and not just one item? The way they treat their employees stealing our mail is ridiculous.

I shipped a BOX via USPS. Someone between two post offices had the nerve to cut open the tape from the bottom, STEAL a pound of f/o, then retape the box. I figured it out when the tape did not match up. The guy at the "receiving" post office said basically too bad. I ship a lot UPS and FedEx now.

Apparantly the Post Office doesn't want any more business. Anything over 3/4 " thick is now treated as a package. And if its over 13oz, you can't out stamps on it. They can't be dowloaded off Usps.com either. Becuase of security issues....also a way to loose business!! Thanks for letting me vent!!

Sure ya can. I ship things through USPS.com all the time. Boxes, thick envelopes. whatever. I print out my postage (no dimensions required through the USPS site, btw) and then have the packages picked up off my porch while I"m at work. never had a bit of trouble.

Cept when shipping liquids - those they want you to hand directly to an employee. Can still do it from home, but cannot just leave the box - you have to be there.