Should I get a Presto Pot?

I am new to candle making and have only made a few candles so far. I am gearing up for another order of wax, FO, and such and was wondering if it is worth it to get the Presto Pot. I used the double broiler method with the other candles.

Also, I see some Presto Pots come with a spigot...are those better/easier that the PP without one?

I would definately get a presto pot - I didn't put a spigot in mine and it works fine....actually I have 3, lol and they all work fine. They only cost about $20, so go for it, especially if you like doing it and are going to get some more supplies. Welcome to the wonderful addiction of candles!

Prestos are quite an improvement over double boilers, IMHO! They do not come with spigots, but there are instructions here for installing one - simple work (if you search the forums, you should be able to locate the instructions). Some people prefer a presto without a spigot, so it is not mandatory to install one unless you so choose. Prestos are pretty inexpensive and can be found at Target, WalMart, etc. for less than $20. Good luck! :)

Thank you all for your input. I am so glad that I found this site. You all have been so helpful. :smiley2:

I do have a few questions about using a PP. Do you use a ladle(sp?) to get your melted wax into a Pouring Pot to add your FO and color? Will I need a different thermometer or does the PP monitor the temp? Also, any tips you want to share with me?

I use a ladle to transfer my wax to my pour pot. I take a plastic cup and hold it under my ladle because I always seem to spill some of my wax. I only use one thermometer. Once I get the temp I need in my presto pot it stays at that temp. Then I take the thermometer out of the presto pot and use it for my pour pot. The presto pot has a temp on but it is usually off. To be on the safe side I always check my temp once before I start to make candles for that day.

I'm very new to tart making and bought a presto pot right away upon everyone's recommendation here. Best $20 I've spent. It melts the wax so fast. I don't even have a spigot on mine but it still saves loads of time.

Have fun in your new venture.

Nancy

Do you use a ladle(sp?) to get your melted wax into a Pouring Pot to add your FO and color? Will I need a different thermometer or does the PP monitor the temp?

Yes, I use a ladle if the pot is full, otherwise I pour straight from the Presto - it has handles on either side of the top.

You can get by with one thermometer, but since they are relatively inexpensive, I have several. I add FO & dye in the pouring pot unless I am making a large batch, in which case, I add directly to the Presto. Remember that once the wax is transferred to the pouring pot, the temperature will be falling, especially after adding the FO, so keep this in mind when deciding what temp to pour the wax into the pouring pot. You can use the Presto to make relatively small batches of wax all the way up to 7# batches (the unmelted stuff has to be added in stages because it will not all fit in before it is melted). Be sure to thoroughly stir the wax after adding the FO and dye - a quick stir won't get it! Some FOs do not mix in as easily as others, so having your wax hot enough and stirring well will help prevent problems from the FO not being incorporated into the wax well.

Because I do not have a spigot on my Presto, if I have wax left over, I allow it to harden, then I store it in a ziplock bag with the pertinent info written on it (FO, dye, wax, additives, etc.) for future projects.

Good luck! Hope you have fun! :yay:

We pretty much do it the same way as Stella1952 - but rather than a ladle, we use a metal measuring cup. I hold the pour pot (a pyrex glass measuring cup...several different sizes) over the Presto, then scoop the wax into it. For small batches, we also just poor directly from the pot into the pour pot.

I used the double boiler method for 2 years in my tiny little country kitchen before I purchased my wax melter ($1000) and holds 2-1/2 cases of wax, best $$ I ever spent. I do have a presto pot, however, for the small little orders I do get in and don't have any in inventory (yes I keep an inventory of at least 1 case per scent in each size I offer). I personally recommend the spigot, tons easier and faster than ladling, unless you have lots of time. If you don't want to do the spigot method, just pour the wax into your pour pot. I lift the PP up high enough that when pouring the wax goes directly into the pour pot with minimal spillage. I do that all the time too....ladle, please, waste of time. IMO only. If you can afford a melter and there are some for a couple hundred dollars with spigots it's well worth the $$! Unless you only intend on pouring candles for a short time then purchase the PP. If you're in it for the long run, the melter is worth it, believe me! I now have 2!

Just remember this is just my opinion. Don't want to start anything here:grin2:

But, to each their own and I applaud anyone getting into the candle business....it's way so addicting! Been doing it for 7 years now!!

Have a great weekend all!:yay:

definitely the presto pot WITH spigot. What a godsend. I have several large melters also, but still prefer to use the presto pot, esp with smaller orders. just melts quicker and so handy. the spigot is so easy to put in. if my husband and I can do it, any one can!

Sally,

You might want to do a little more research before buying a Presto Pot for use in the UK. With the difference in current you will need a rather large transformer and probably a different plug. Even then I've heard of people having porblems with the pots working properly.

I use a Pyrex candy thermometer (from Walmart) which has a clip. I slide one side of the clip into the space between the Presto pot and it's handle...stays in place if you're using a ladle or whatever, or with a spigot. I also keep two 32 oz Pyrex pots heated in the oven, reheating one while I fill the other one. Your wax won't cool off too quickly if you pour into a heated Pyrex pot. You will even have time to add FO and color if you pour into Pyrex, 10 or so degrees higher than you need to add FO/color. If your are making a Presto full of the same FO/color, then you might prefer adding FO/color to the Presto instead of the Pyrex. I have a separate thermometer to check the temp of the wax after pouring from Presto into the Pyrex pot. I do not remove the clip-on thermometer until I get down to my last Pyrex pot of wax, then pick up Presto to pour out remaining wax. I also use a wooden spoon to stir my wax. Stir carefully, as you do not want to scrape the Teflon from your Presto. You don't want specs of Teflon in your pastel colored candles or tarts. Also if you clip your thermometer onto your Presto, do it carefully, so as not to scrape the Teflon.

BTW: I would have given up candlemaking long ago if I had kept using the double broiler method. One day, if I go big-time, then I would want to move on to something even better than the Presto, but I'm not that big yet. The Presto will suffice for now until I start making

lots more $$$.

A broiler is the bottom of the oven that exposes meat and such to direct flame. I don't recommend this method for melting wax.

A double boiler is a pot set over simmering water. The Presto is much easier.

e

LOL! I just realized that typo in my original post! :rolleyes2